Larry Carlton tone

mitch236

Experienced
A friend challenged me to learn the solo from Kid Charlemagne so I complied. I use the Mr. Dumble patch with a little less gain and more presence and voila!!!! Very close indeed!!!

I'm so excited about this product! No need to worry if my beloved Budda is up to the task. I can dial in almost any tone.

Just awesome!!!!

If anyone has a great patch for that tone, please let me know as I have to break out the solo on Wednesday!!

BTW- I always loved Carlton's early work but I never realized how awesome this solo is and that he used tapping (well at least one tap) way before VH!!

Kid Charlemagne is one of the best guitar solos ever recorded IMO. I think your on the right track with the Mr.Dumble patch that's the one I'd use to start with too.

I got reasonably close to Carltons tone on the "Last Nite" CD. Only six songs but one of the best buys I ever done. Magical tone, imho.

I used the Spec. OD2 with a German Cab and a PEQ rolling off highs with a shelf and a bit of a dip at 125Hz to tame the German's low end. You'd have to experiment where to roll off. I turned off the compressor I initially put in because it killed the dynamics and the range of gain I could get. Maybe if I'd put it after the amp...

I've heard that much of Larry's earlier Steely Dan stuff was recorded through his Princeton-Reverb :shock:

Ok, I've got the solo down. Does anyone have a backing track for Kid Chalemagne? I looked all over the web but nobody seems to have it.

I want to post it to get feedback about the tone (and technique!)

Midi programming on a Roland D10 (with Cubase Atari) and a Yamaha 4-track cassette recorder.
I was studying guitar in Vienna at the American Institute of Music back then and we did Kid Charlemagne in West Coast Studio class. My teacher was Wayne Brasel.
I hope I find the midi song and redo it with today's samplers...
Could be fun, and I could redo my solo also. ;-)

merlin17 said:
Could be fun, and I could redo my solo also. ;-)

Careful!!! I find that I do my best work when it's fresh. Since my band would never play the tune, this is the hardest I'll ever work on it! After a couple of weeks, I'll be struggling with certain parts!!! (you know what they are!)

Have to agree geetarman:

"Kid Charlemagne is one of the best guitar solos ever recorded IMO"

Yeah...brilliant solo...but IMHO, if you're talking Steely Dan solos, nothing can rival Jeff Baxter's incredible solo from "Bodhisattva" - at least I think it was him that did it...I have some bootlegs of it as well, and it's just brilliant....has to rank up there probably in the top ten solos of all time...but somewhat unknown unfortunately due to the slightly obscure nature of the song...not a lot of airplay.

EDIT: On second thought, after some research...maybe it really was Denny Dias...although Baxter is one of my all time guitar heros

Thanks mate!!! I actually bought a backing track already but my water heater broke and drained itself all over my studio's carpeting. Luckily, I had just done spring cleaning of all my amps and cabs and stored them in the garage for the grand sale!!! But I had to wait until the carpeting dried out. I should be able to get something done this weekend. It will be my first clip with the Axe.

I just recorded the first solo (can be found in the same folder).
I hope I recalled it correctly (the transcription is 20 years old)...
Unfortunately I don't have the "right" guitar for this, so I played my Morgaine Mintage 61 Strat (bridge SC PUP, an Abigail Ybarra Masterwound).
It's a JCM800 model in the Axe, a H&K AC112P cab (Celestion G12H-100 speaker) miked with a Neumann KM86.

I saw Elliott Randall (reelin' in the years) in a deli in NYC once, and as I walked by I just said "nice solo". Saw him smile thru the corner of my eye as I kept walking.....

Well, here goes. This is my very first recording effort. My first clip ever!!! Let me tell you, recording is alot different than playing live. First of all, I kept making mistakes! I was so tight, I couldn't calm down!! Then the stupid headphones kept pulling on my head, reminding me they were there!! And, I've also never played with headphones! What a trip!!

Then I had to learn all about Pro Tools in about an hour! I finally got it all together and realized that I couldn't save my effort as an mp3 without paying an additional $20 for the plugin!! What a rip!!!

Then I had to sign up for soundclick.com..........

Anyway, here's the track. Any advice is welcome! I plan on keeping this clip posting up until I can play comfortably with headphones!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7608791

merlin17 said:
I just recorded the first solo (can be found in the same folder).
I hope I recalled it correctly (the transcription is 20 years old)...
Unfortunately I don't have the "right" guitar for this, so I played my Morgaine Mintage 61 Strat (bridge SC PUP, an Abigail Ybarra Masterwound).
It's a JCM800 model in the Axe, a H&K AC112P cab (Celestion G12H-100 speaker) miked with a Neumann KM86.

Wow! Awesome!!

Yours is cool also!
You're rushing here and there and the last few bars are a bit sloppy, but otherwise really nice!

merlin17 said:
Yours is cool also!
You're rushing here and there and the last few bars are a bit sloppy, but otherwise really nice!

I only wish I could play that " sloppy" ! OK, I'm returning to my old, tired blues licks. I only know one solo anyway. I use it in everything I play. That's what happens when you teach yourself guitar by trying to just listen to records. Formal training and theory? I missed that boat a long, long time ago. Carry on....

Edit: oops, thought the "sloppy" comment was refering to Mitch236 playing. Oh well, I still only know one solo.

Back
Top Bottom