Lag with scene changes on quantum

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
Hello All
I upgraded to quantum today and it's amazing. But now I'm getting a lag when switching from scene 1 to 5. I've always had my switch 5 set to toggle between scene 1 and 5 for boost control. I've never had an issue before but now I get a signal cut or lag when I switch. Even when making sure there is no XY changes going on. If scene 1 and 5 are identical it still lags.
I made sure also to unplug the usb. Any thoughts on this.
Am I required to update the MFC possibly? Right now I'm on 3.06. I'm not sure what the newest mfc Fw is at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just came back and fired on the axe. Went to the same preset and now there's no lag. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you unplug USB while Axe-FX was on without power cycling before, and was it still unplugged when you restarted later?

Once the USB functions have been activated, CPU% remains higher even after disconnecting USB. If the above scenario is true and CPU% was pretty high, this could explain it.

I think I know what happened as I experienced this today. If you are editing the amp block (the LCD is on one of the amp block's pages), you will get additional lag because whenever you switch scenes a message is sent to the block being edited to refresh all the knob positions and strings as these need to be updated. This takes time and the block mutes briefly when this occurs. It's the same brief mute that occurs when you first enter the block from the grid. The amp block is the block that takes the longest to update because it has to do a gazillion calculations whenever it receives a refresh message.

There isn't an easy "fix" as it's not really a bug but a side-effect of the messaging system.

The solution is to not be in the amp block's menu when changing scenes.

After installing he new firmware last night, I edited and saved a few patches. I was auditioning presets by switching with the data encoder and it became really un-responsive and lagged. I still had usb plugged in but no axe edit. I unplugged usb and all was fine.

This was on my new XL+. I had a similar issue with my mark I a few weeks ago with 19 & 20 beta's but mostly a couple presets. Can't remember if usb was plugged in or not.

Edit: my experience was with preset change and not scenes

Last edited:
I think I know what happened as I experienced this today. If you are editing the amp block (the LCD is on one of the amp block's pages), you will get additional lag because whenever you switch scenes a message is sent to the block being edited to refresh all the knob positions and strings as these need to be updated. This takes time and the block mutes briefly when this occurs. It's the same brief mute that occurs when you first enter the block from the grid. The amp block is the block that takes the longest to update because it has to do a gazillion calculations whenever it receives a refresh message.

There isn't an easy "fix" as it's not really a bug but a side-effect of the messaging system.

On our military DSPs when we had something like this we would refer to it as a "feature" or design artifact ! - not a bug. We had a lot of design artifacts.

I think I know what happened as I experienced this today. If you are editing the amp block (the LCD is on one of the amp block's pages), you will get additional lag because whenever you switch scenes a message is sent to the block being edited to refresh all the knob positions and strings as these need to be updated. This takes time and the block mutes briefly when this occurs. It's the same brief mute that occurs when you first enter the block from the grid. The amp block is the block that takes the longest to update because it has to do a gazillion calculations whenever it receives a refresh message

Cliff, does this lag give a small pop in sound? I updated today and when changing scenes 2 to 3 I was getting a little lag and a pop.

Back
Top Bottom