Komplete 9 or omnisphere? For cover band use...mostly

Keg8605

Power User
Looking to hear from anyone who has both. I've been setting up a nice live synth rig with my mac pro and I use the fishman triple play to play patches with mainstage. Looking to upgrade my sounds from the basic logic sounds. I have read through a few threads on other sites. Keep in mind I'd be using it for pop, rock, classic, country covers.... Curious what people here think who have used both.

Thanks!

komplete will give you a ton of really good basic sounds which will feel like a direct upgrade from the logic stuff. fantastic organs, strings, pianos and vintage synths. for covers stuff and general use this would be the way to go, imo. omnisphere is more of a sound designers tool / modern synth. it also uses a lot more cpu than kontakt, which may be an important factor when using it live, as mainstage can be notoriously unreliable when pushing the limits of your computer

+1. Omnisphere is more for sound Designer, soundtrack composers and synth afficionados.....it's my personal Tool for the Lonely Island. But when it comes to "usual" Sounds like piano or Strings, Komplete is absolutely fine...Even the "Cheapo" Version, Komplete Elements, is really useable.

So is there anything that matches mainstages simplicity and affordability that I should use instead? Its been working ok for me but I haven't put it through its paces all that much yet...

Appreciate the replies. Seems like no brainer Komplete will be better to start with.

I use a mixture of Omnisphere, LASS and EWQL Symphonic Orchestra PP. I fond that between the three, I use Omnisphere more than the other two. The stuff that you can do with it is unbelievable. I don't use it with MainStage as I don't play keys live, however I do use it all the time for any compositions or sound work. You need plenty of RAM and SSD's help too.

To be honest, the degree to which either of these is an "upgrade" from Logic is debatable, and as for whether this kind of upgrade is going to be more playable (live) or more listenable (covers) is also to be determined. I do agree with Simeon that the pianos, strings, etc. are very nice. but I am asking you to think about the return on your investment here -- especially given that this is being controlled by a guitar synth, where articulations and voicing are already a greater challenge than the quality of sounds/samples. That said, you'd also get Massive, which is really nice. If you were to post a set list, I could make specific recommendations about other options that might make sense.

I do own both, by the way, and if I could only keep one, it would be Kontakt, but Omnisphere is a work of art and incredibly fun.

I've got Komplete 7 and Omnisphere
stood alone they are both great although I'd say that Komplete offers a more general suite of instruments [all very good]

mix the two, plus the stuff native to Logic [and add BFD] and you have a serious arsenal of instruments..

To be honest, the degree to which either of these is an "upgrade" from Logic is debatable, and as for whether this kind of upgrade is going to be more playable (live) or more listenable (covers) is also to be determined. I do agree with Simeon that the pianos, strings, etc. are very nice. but I am asking you to think about the return on your investment here -- especially given that this is being controlled by a guitar synth, where articulations and voicing are already a greater challenge than the quality of sounds/samples. That said, you'd also get Massive, which is really nice. If you were to post a set list, I could make specific recommendations about other options that might make sense.

I do own both, by the way, and if I could only keep one, it would be Kontakt, but Omnisphere is a work of art and incredibly fun.

I own both too and they are great but I'm with Matt when he said that controlling the sw with a guitar synth is a great challange (articulations, dynamics, etc.) (and the Fishman TP it's not, IMHO, so easy to setup...)

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try to give more details around my thought process.

First, I must say i'm finding the triple play to not be all that hard to setup.. I had the axon ax50 and motif rack es before this. Being wireless, and easier editing of sounds on the mac was what I was after. I find the triple play to be a lot better than the axon. I'm also using an akai mpk49 in addition. So some of the percussive piano parts I can just play with that too.

Also my reasoning for upgrading some of the logic sounds is actually the strings, piano, organs and basses. I sold my Motif rack es which I liked the sounds of that better than most of what's in logic. I have some sample kontakt stuff that came with the triple play bundle and the strings are much better on that. Plus i downloaded the demo of Massive and wow! I just figure why not spend 500 on the bundle rather than 2-300 on a few of the plug ins. I might just suck at editing the es2 but there's some sounds in massive I've been trying to get from the es2. Maybe I'll spend some more time editing the logic stuff.

I hear ya on the return on investment too. Although Matt - I think you just want me to save my dough for the XL ;) haha. Need and want are definitely separate things though. My way is to just make sure I stay out of the red. I'm a weekend warrior and playing out is my second job/ hobby. I tend to buy gear for my own ears. I know I could do all these gigs with a few pedals and a tube head and be just fine, in fact I've had to do just that when the power supply went out :)

Anyways - here's a current setlist of some stuff we cover too.

Sweet Child
Livin on a Prayer
Heart
Brownstone
Don't Stop
Save a horse
Country girl
Done
Folsom
Imagine Dragons - Radioactive
Katy Perry - California, unconditional
Gaga- Applause, bad romance
Aerosmith - Dream on
I think we're alone
Are you gonna be my girl
My own worst enemy
Tenacious D
Basketcase
Fastball - the way
Wagon Wheel
Everybody talks
TNT
Get Lucky
Locked out of Heaven
Rihanna - only girl, we found, where have you been
Say it Aint So
Hey Jude
Whats up
Jack and Diane
The Outfield
Jessie's Girl
MJ Medley
Pink
Crazy Train
Dock of the Bay
Dj Got us Fallin
Dynamite
Adele
Zeppelin
War pigs
Sunday Bloody
Streets

That's a bunch i can recall... So sick of some of these tunes :)

That's a great setlist, classic and modern tunes.
The greatest problem I had with Triple Play was having all the strings sound at the same volume (not using the Triple Play software). However It play a lot better than anything I tried before.

> strings, piano, organs and basses

I do not know of a sample library or soft synth that sounds like a Motif. The Yamaha presets are REALLY optimized for live play, whereas most soft synths I know are designed to be highly detailed, sensitive, controllable for studio use.
Have you considered temporarily buying the Motif back and using a sample robot to capture the sounds you liked? That box has some good mojo.

That said, the "Alicia's Keys" in Komplete is a great live piano. I don't think Komplete's hammond organ's are much better than those in Logic, but YMMV. Ditto for bass. I actually dislike the Komplete basses but do use Kontakt with the old BASS LEGENDS cd or Orange Tree samples. You could easily use ESX though. For small ensemble strings, the KH Pop Rock strings would probably be quite pleasing. Those are not available for ESX, so you'd need Kontakt.

Back
Top Bottom