Kirk Hammett On Rick Beato (Fractal content)

If I owned it, the first thing I’d do is rotate the neck pickup back to the proper position. 😂 Not a fan of that position two tone at all.
Won't make any difference - the out-of-phase sound isn't affected by pickup rotation. It's generally accepted that it was probably rotated to try to "cure" the OOP position 2 back when in Peter Green's ownership. Of course it won't have made any difference, but seemingly no-one has had the heart to swap it back (or indeed flip the magnet over to put it back in phase in either rotation). While many may feel it's so wrong that it's right, it was one of the reasons Peter Green didn't feel kindly to the guitar, and definitely didn't want Gibson to produce a replica in his name. At least not in the mid-90s when I was working at Gibson's London Artist Relations office.

Liam

Really enjoyed this interview..
Kirk is still alive and rocking, that would have been diffrent is Cliff Burton wasnt sleeping on his spot on the bus so yeah, he's supposed to live it out to the max imho.

This interview got me laughing at the 55:48 before Rick and Kirk are going in sync headknocking 🤘
This turned out the following event in my head

-> Rick: Some songs for your reaction
-> Kirk thinking: I know this song from somewhere 🤔
-> Rick giggling: He doesn't know 😅

Screen_Recording_20230821_135311_ReVanced Extended_1.gif

Cheers 🍻

Last edited:
Cool shoutout for Fractal, but I have to shake my head when they talk about how it's so hard to make changes on the fly and you can't just twist knobs like on a real amp. I assume at least Kirk knows about performance pages.

Cool shoutout for Fractal, but I have to shake my head when they talk about how it's so hard to make changes on the fly and you can't just twist knobs like on a real amp. I assume at least Kirk knows about performance pages.
For a lot of players you'd be correct, but you have to keep in mind his context, which is playing out on a massive stadium stage with nothing but an expression pedal within reach. So, even with performance mode, it'd be more difficult for him to quickly communicate on the fly changes to his tech or even run back and tweak something himself than it would be with just an amp. Not impossible, of course, just not the same immediate visual recognition.

For a lot of players you'd be correct, but you have to keep in mind his context, which is playing out on a massive stadium stage with nothing but an expression pedal within reach. So, even with performance mode, it'd be more difficult for him to quickly communicate on the fly changes to his tech or even run back and tweak something himself than it would be with just an amp. Not impossible, of course, just not the same immediate visual recognition.
Understood, but Kirk went well beyond that, saying it would take him an hour to make any changes on his own. And it's clear that Beato never spent any real time with the system.

I wasn't going to watch this one initially, as I'm not really a fan...but I'll watch it now if there's Fractal content.

He seems off with his talking?? Like swollen tongue and lips or a little messed up. Maybe just me???
Yes, I was distracted a few times by this. Perhaps trivial, but I noticed a few stutters, dropped words and slightly exaggerated mannerisms. ...some of his playing was less precise than I would have expected.

I'm not up on the latest drugs, but I was wondering if there was a slight chemical influence there. On the other hand it could be lack of sleep, coincidence, etc. Hell, who hasn't flubbed a few words here and there. It was noticeable though. ...surprised nobody mentioned it on youtube in the comments.

The anecdotes were fun though. Greenie stories, Cliff on acoustic etc.
I dig the flashy clothes too. I grew up on Bowie, Kiss, etc. I like larger than life rock stars.

I'm not up on the latest drugs, but I was wondering if there was a slight chemical influence there. On the other hand it could be lack of sleep, coincidence, etc. Hell, who hasn't flubbed a few words here and there. It was noticeable though. ...surprised nobody mentioned it on youtube in the comments.
Dude is officially a senior citizen. Cut him some slack for not being able to play or talk the same way he did when he was 25! I'm sure his 90s' substance abuse has not been kind on him, but how many 60-year olds do you know who can play Master of Puppets?

I thought that too for a bit and then watched other recent interviews to see if that's just the way he speaks. Seems to be just his mannerisms of late.

I've always liked Kirk. Seems like he's really easy to talk to and would be cool to hang with.
I strongly agree. I think he's the #1 reason they are still an active band. The calming agent between James and Lars.

Back
Top Bottom