Kid@Drone - Sustained Drone Capture Preset plus live guitar layer

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Hi there,

In this thread, I promised a preset after 6.02 was released. Here it is!
KidDrone allows you to develop a drone from any note you play on your guitar. The drone works on a hold pedal. You can solo over the top.

1. Load the preset

2. Pull EXT1 pedal all the way back. That's your raw guitar tone. Change the amp or cab if you like. I left you a WAH and a DRIVE block too, so you have the freedom to turn this into any core tone. Or you could remove those and switch the CAB to HIRES or STEREO.

3. While you're playing or sustaining the note you want to drone, rock that EXT1 pedal forward, hold it there for about 1 second, then pull it back quickly. You've now captured a drone.

4. Jam over the drone. Change the note at any time by repeating step 3

HAVE FUN. Someone who can really play should do a demo or a video. There's probably room to smooth and expand on this idea. I've already done one where you can sustain whole chords too... with a Floyd-ian synth lead. Will share that one someday too.

PS: I just noticed it needs a little level smoothing between drone play and drone capture... a mod on DLY1 level should do the trick. You can re-EQ the drone there in DLY1 also.

Attachments

• KidDrone.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:
Matt -

The modifier parameter values for the Repeat Hold function on the delay - what are you seeing for Scale and Offset? I'm seeing 10.000 for Scale and -100% for Offset. I'm wondering if the latter is bad (I posted a bug on this).

No, those are the actual values I entered.

I saw your other thread. If you load a preset which was created previous to 6.02, I have noticed that sometimes Axe-Edit (unlike the Axe-Fx) will initialize those values incorrectly. In the next build you're able to just double click those knobs and have them reset to correct values.
Alternately, you can send the preset via Axe-Manage, which does not interpret the data, then pull it in to the editor.

Thanks Erik. Yeah, I think this idea has incredible potential! Someone needs to do a video.

Hi there,

In this thread, I promised a preset after 6.02 was released. Here it is!
KidDrone allows you to develop a drone from any note you play on your guitar. The drone works on a hold pedal. You can solo over the top.

1. Load the preset

2. Pull EXT1 pedal all the way back. That's your raw guitar tone. Change the amp or cab if you like. I left you a WAH and a DRIVE block too, so you have the freedom to turn this into any core tone. Or you could remove those and switch the CAB to HIRES or STEREO.

3. While you're playing or sustaining the note you want to drone, rock that EXT1 pedal forward, hold it there for about 1 second, then pull it back quickly. You've now captured a drone.

4. Jam over the drone. Change the note at any time by repeating step 3

HAVE FUN. Someone who can really play should do a demo or a video. There's probably room to smooth and expand on this idea. I've already done one where you can sustain whole chords too... with a Floyd-ian synth lead. Will share that one someday too.

PS: I just noticed it needs a little level smoothing between drone play and drone capture... a mod on DLY1 level should do the trick. You can re-EQ the drone there in DLY1 also.
What amazes me is just to think of something like this. Everybody can say "Oh, I could have done that too", but the thing is to think of it first AND come up with it. :)

Having a little difficulty getting this to work properly I believe. I am running 6.02 by the way. Under Control I see Modifier 1 set as volume/pan. I set my pedal as External 1. When I press the pedal down I can hear the generated tone but when I pull it back it dies away after a few moments. What settings should I check as I have tried a few different things but to no avail. I clearly am missing something.

omg..... I came into the studio to something specific....
thought I'd take a quick look at this for fun before I got started...

and now it's midnight.... lol...

I absolutely adore this preset....

M@... this is absolutely top drawer.... love it....

ok.. so the obvious thing to do is to hold a bass note and shred it silly...
or hold a single low note and go on a modal exploration...
the delays allow you to set up some interesting synth grooves to go nuts or all ambient over...

so I decided to do something a little different.... and kinda fun... lol..
and to make it sound a little more 'authentic'.. I squeezed a few notes slightly sharp... lol..

I'm not in front of my axe at the moment but my ext 1 and ext 2 are setup the default way 1=volume and 2=wah. I saved the kiddrone preset on the
axe. When I select that patch, ext 1 is still mapped to volume and not acting to set the "tone" to be played over. From the description it sounded like the
preset would just work as-is using ext 1. Do my settings need to be changed for this particular patch to make it work?

Regarding the above recording by clarky: "And free man you are! What will you do without freedom?"

...really sounds great!

hamrhed - you need to have an expression pedal assigned to CC 16 to make this work
CC 16 in the MFC points to modifier EXT1 in the Axe
to be honest it don't matter which expression pedal you assign to 16 [if you have more than one]

personally, I do not have an expression pedal assigned to master volume [I've always thought it a bit pointless.. but that's just me.. lol]
my expression pedal EXP1 [in the MFC] is assigned to CC 16
so for me this preset worked right away

if you wish to go back to having EXP1 assigned to master volume do the following:

go into the MFC edit: midi and tab through until you get to EXP1
make a note of it's current CC setting
change it to 16

then noodle away for hours with Matt's very cool preset

when you're done [assuming you want EXP1 for master volume again], go back into the MFC and change the EXP1 CC value back to what it was...

alternatively.....
find out what CC value is assigned to your wah...
I'll guess that it's 17 [which translated to EXT2 in the Axe / modifier extern 2 in Axe-Edit]
then go into Axe-Edit and look for all parms assigned to modifier extern 1
when you find a parm, make a note of the modifier's settings, change it to extern 2 and add in the settings you just noted
this is a bit time consuming but it means you'll not have to replace the behaviour of 1st expression pedal...
just call up this preset and your wah will be controlling the hold in Matt's preset

Having a little difficulty getting this to work properly I believe. I am running 6.02 by the way. Under Control I see Modifier 1 set as volume/pan. I set my pedal as External 1. When I press the pedal down I can hear the generated tone but when I pull it back it dies away after a few moments. What settings should I check as I have tried a few different things but to no avail. I clearly am missing something.

maybe your EXP1 in the MFC is still assigned to master volume..
you'll need to turn that setting off.....

off the top of my head I can't recall which MFC parm does this...
I'd need to look it up in the manual

Back
Top Bottom