Keyboards

iaresee

Administrator
The computer kind. Not the musical kind.

I must confess I'm kind of a junkie. I have amassed an embarrassing pile of them over the years as I've chased different trends.

There's a drawer here with a bunch of very nice keyboards in it now. For the past few years I've mainly been using an 87-key CODE keyboard with cherry MX clear switches. Simple. Elegant. Didn't take up too much deskspace. If I needed a number pad, I'd pull out my latest gen Apple wireless keyboard for a time and use that.

I found the mx clears had a nice balance between sound and feel for typing.

I was not very strict with myself about my touch typing habits on the CODE. I would cross the horizontal plane with my left and right hands all the time. And with all the time I spend at a keyboard for my job, there was some bad wrist and shoulder pain developing at the end of long weeks.

Work sent us all Das keyboards earlier this year which are 104-key and a little bigger. Super nice and well put together keyboards but I didn't like the metal edge, the ruler-for-tilt thing and the ultra soft keys on it. So it's in the drawer.

I've been kicking around going ortholinear and split keyboard for a few months. Doing the research. And three weeks ago I finally ordered a new keyboard: a ZSA Moonlander.

It's two weeks in and I'm finally starting to feel like I'm not hobbled anymore. :D It's been a real trip getting used to it. The split-ness of it was immediately comfortable. That part of it's design has been no problem at all to acclimate to. The ortholinear part has been much trickier. And the new locations on the keyboard for a lot of symbol and modifier keys I use frequently in my job have taken a lot of getting used to.

I'm running the default layout for the most part. I like to resist customizing things until I feel like I have a good understanding of how they work for me.

My speed is coming back up though. And I can vim again -- relearning a lot of muscle memory chords in vim was super hard to do. I find myself saying out loud vim chords so I think about the actual keys I need to hit and not just using finger position memory to do things.

My colleagues who use the Moonlander say it's about a month and you'll have your speed back and maybe then some.

The ortholinear key alignment really does highlight how bad my finger motion habits have gotten over the decades.

It looks super cool though. I haven't even delved into tilting it yet. ZSA suggests leaving it lie flat for a month before you do that.

8E6177EE-26F2-4E03-A145-ACC0443CA8C1_1_105_c.jpeg

I went with the super quiet cherry mx reds and I'm not sure I'll stay with them. There's just no real feedback on when you've actuated the key on press. But the Moonlander is kind of cool in that you can swap the switches out -- they're socketed. The CODE doesn't let you do a switch swap like that. Might try the ZEALIOS switches in it.

Any other keyboard collectors out there? Got a favorite switch? :D

Last edited:
Fast two finger typist here. I use Apple wireless keyboards with Numpad since they're what I've gotten used to. I like the very short key travel action and low profile. The latest model has a fingerprint sensor key so I use that instead of passwords.

Fast two finger typist here. I use Apple wireless keyboards with Numpad since they're what I've gotten used to. I like the very short key travel action and low profile. The latest model has a fingerprint sensor key so I use that instead of passwords.
I don't hate the latest Apple keyboards. The early versions were prone to warping but they solved that when they moved to the single block of aluminium for the base. And the new scissor action is actually kind of nice. But I can't give up a full keyboard's worth of desk space in my day-to-day. I have to reach too far to the right to get to my mouse.

I use a Matias Quiet Pro for Mac- it's the got the Matias Alps inspired switches, but the quiet version. They are pretty stiff, but that's how I like them. They take a decent push to get to the bump, and it doesn't make too much noise. It also has the Mac option symbols printed right on the keys, which is handy. It's not the best looking keyboard, but I can type on it all day and it feels fine. I also have a Das keyboard, and I like it a lot, but I prefer the Matias Alps switches to the MX browns that my Das has. On the Das, even typing with silent switches made a spouse-annoying level of noise. It's a very robust keyboard though- heavy and serious feeling. The Matias stuff feels plasticish, cause it is, but I don't mind- they're good daily drivers.
I have a 2016 MacBook Pro that I use often away from my desks, and the original keyboard was a real dog. Liked it at first, but it quickly got bits of crud underneath that totally ruined it- certain keys had to be slammed to get them to work, including the space bar... then the darn battery started to swell on the machine. It was out of warranty, and I thought I was going to have to get a new computer, but it turns out that crappy stock butterfly keyboard was being recalled by Apple, and replaced for free... and along with that replacement came a brand new battery! Apparently the keyboard and battery get replaced together as a unit, so both were replaced by Apple, and it didn't cost me a dime. I got really lucky. The new keyboard is actually really nice feeling, with a solid feel, and just enough key travel to let you know it's clicking. I like it a lot.

With my laptop, I carry around a Ducky Pocket for entering grades (I'm a teacher, and spend an embarrassing amount of time entering numbers into spreadsheets and grade books), which has MX Blues. It's a great little numpad, and I've trained myself to use it with my left hand, so I can work the trackpad on the right, and enter scores with the left. It has a few different modes, so I programmed one of them to have tab and shift+tab easily accessible, so I can fly through my grade book now. It really helps, and beats the heck out of hunting and pecking numbers on the laptop keyboard.

Love the look of that Moonlander! I've never really hand any hand issues, but if I ever run into that, I'm sure that would be the direction I'd go.

I've got several Macs. I'm fine with the computers but I hate the keyboards. The Magic Pad is genius. The Magic Mouse has it's moments too.

I've been using Microsoft Natural keyboards for about 28 years until a couple months ago. I switched to Natural style Logitech wireless keyboard because I can switch between computers without needing a switch box for anything. But the feel and spacing is just different enough from the Microsoft Natural keyboards that I still haven't gotten used to it. I may half to switch back because I type for a living.

Talk about timing. I'm going to put my Wavestate up for sale. I've got a Roland Juno DS61 coming.
I would love that Roland unit but I don't know enough about these things to make an informed decision. I can't even play yet(!) but I was able to test-drive the Korg at the local GC. Why did you change from one to the other?

Back
Top Bottom