Ken Susi (As I Lay Dying/Unearth)- Is the AXE FX III good for live?

@susiunearth Awesome run through! Anyway you could explain how you engage the effects between both paths for Output 1 and 3? Like if you engage a delay, are both delays for the FOH and Cab paths turned on at the same time?

I saw this earlier, and very cool video!

It is interesting to see how you are using the Fractal since I know (from videos....) that you seem to be a tube amp guy. Running it through a tube power amp for stage volume (and I assume personal enjoyment and feeling), and then also into the PA seems like it would cover both bases pretty well.

Lord of The Rigs:
Hey guys,
After a hiatus from posting, I'm back with a video discussing my years of experience with amps, digital amps, and other gear. I've been using the Axe-fx III on tour for two years and couldn't be happier with it. Watch as I demonstrate how I integrate it into my setup with visual and playing examples. If you're keen on replicating my live tone, now's your opportunity to learn how.

I'm now using the standard and turbo for touring!! Both are great

Ken Susi :)

Shadows Are Security is a record I have fond memories of as it came out a year after I graduated High School. To be able to replicate that tone tone and take it anywhere in the world for sound consistency is just one advantage modelers can have over a real amp and cab. Additionally, the option to have both a backline and FOH sound that you control is another excellent use case as well.

These are honestly the tone demonstrations I'd love to see more of. While "Djent" gets a fair amount of representation within the Axe FX, I'd like to see more pre-"djent" genres (Metalcore, Nu Metal, Industrial Metal, Thrash Metal, etc.) get their due. Great Metal doesn't have to be extremely complicated fast or complicated. It just has to have a great tone and a memorable riff. I'll definitely be giving this tone a shot when I get home.

Lord of The Rigs:
Hey guys,
After a hiatus from posting, I'm back with a video discussing my years of experience with amps, digital amps, and other gear. I've been using the Axe-fx III on tour for two years and couldn't be happier with it. Watch as I demonstrate how I integrate it into my setup with visual and playing examples. If you're keen on replicating my live tone, now's your opportunity to learn how.

Thanks for sharing. I came into guitar during the late 90s but 2000s-2010s metalcore and similar genres is what I grew up on and still love to play.

I would love to see more content around using the Axe in this context. I’m sure a lot of us have Fishman pickups too and I think dialing in tones on a modeler for active pickups is a bit different to passive. We get so many players here with good tones for passive rock and less gain type tones and now modern metal/djent type tones, but this era of tone seems to be overlooked (even though we all ran simple rigs back in the day). I think August Burns Red has been on Axe units for a while too.

Curious what your input ratio is at? I had to set mine to 5% to not clip the input with Fishmans.

I would also be curious know if you have played with changing the impedance curve in the amp block at all from the default for each amp? I find especially with a tube power amp and a real cab that changing the impedance curve can really help with dialing in a punchy tone that would otherwise sound thin.

Last edited:
Lord of The Rigs:
Hey guys,

Good to see you here man! i like how you don't miss out on playing Through Struggle in this clip too , was one of my favourite riffs growing up :D

Cheers!

Hey guys...
For the longest time I thought your name was Ken Sushi, and I was (am?) a big fan and told so many of my friends "hey you gotta' check out this band UNEARTH..." I repeatedly referred to you as Ken Sushi, then found out I was wrong and had a big embarrass.

@susiunearth Awesome run through! Anyway you could explain how you engage the effects between both paths for Output 1 and 3? Like if you engage a delay, are both delays for the FOH and Cab paths turned on at the same time?
Pretend its like a real pedal / amp chain. Boost, wah, any heavy FX in front of the amp. Any creamy FX that you need that blend better put after the head and cab (FX return) The front house DI goes in as i like it. Through the amp, it's like i'm building a rig with rack gear

this earlier, and very cool video!

It is interesting to see how you are using the Fractal since I know (from videos....) that you seem to be a tube amp guy. Running it through a tube power amp for stage volume (and I assume personal enjoyment and feeling), and then also into the PA seems like it would cover both bases pretty well.
I'm real amp all the way but I'll say, this is unreal and with the right power-amp, just as good as a real amp. Pretty spot on!

Pretend its like a real pedal / amp chain. Boost, wah, any heavy FX in front of the amp. Any creamy FX that you need that blend better put after the head and cab (FX return) The front house DI goes in as i like it. Through the amp, it's like i'm building a rig with rack gear
So what I'm confused by is if you engage an effect like delay or chorus, etc, do you do this by using scenes? so it can turn on both delays for both foh and stage outputs? I've been trying to figure out how to run a dual effect chain setup similar to how you have it, but from my experience it takes up more cpu and requires either engaging the effects individually or using scenes to engage both chains at the same time. Thanks for the response man!

Btw I've settled on just running one amp block > effects chain > split before the cab block to go to Output 1 (FOH) and Output 2 (VHT poweramp), but would love to run a dual amp block set up like this.

So what I'm confused by is if you engage an effect like delay or chorus, etc, do you do this by using scenes? so it can turn on both delays for both foh and stage outputs? I've been trying to figure out how to run a dual effect chain setup similar to how you have it, but from my experience it takes up more cpu and requires either engaging the effects individually or using scenes to engage both chains at the same time. Thanks for the response man!

Btw I've settled on just running one amp block > effects chain > split before the cab block to go to Output 1 (FOH) and Output 2 (VHT poweramp), but would love to run a dual amp block set up like this.
oh sorry, didn't know what you meant. I'm running scenes for sure 1-8. So when the scene within the patches change, certain blocks turn on. Like i said in the video, it's changed via computer. The same computer that spits out the click to our drummer. both of my lines of information in each block usally have the same FX turning on and off. I can make a separate video on how to program it in protools

Back
Top Bottom