Ken Andrews / Failure; shout-out to FAS

Also, you need to listen to this interview in stereo. That “wall of sound” piece at 22:20 is massive!

Finally, he makes a great case to get a model / simulation of the TC Electronic Mimiq doubletracking effect in the box. ;-)
+1

Soo, how do we recreate the sound at 22.11 using only a humbucker ? @simeon :)
Would love too be able too try this on the Axe Fx II

He’s also using the York Audio Checkmate M25 Cab Pack. I think the M25-1 57 1C if I remember correctly. Ken was the reason I got a Fractal, so hearing him use my stuff is like a dream come true. I wanna get one of those doubling pedals now. That thing sounded incredible.

He’s also using the York Audio Checkmate M25 Cab Pack. I think the M25-1 57 1C if I remember correctly. Ken was the reason I got a Fractal, so hearing him use my stuff is like a dream come true. I wanna get one of those doubling pedals now. That thing sounded incredible.

That particular IR is indeed quite irresistible, even without a supporting ribbon. It bites like a 57, but not too harsh and with enough bottom end. Works well with every amp model I throw at it.

@York Audio

Last edited:
I've got a Mimiq running in the loop cause I'm lucky enough to be able to always play in stereo, and it's crazy how much bigger the sound stage gets when you kick it in- not louder, just... w i d e. I try to not overdo it with the stereo stuff, but it's a great ingredient to throw into the mix when you need to sound big. My only other pedal sitting in the back of my rack is the Digitech Freqout, in the other loop. It's really handy to have them in the loops- I've got the Mimiq set up by scenes for most presets, and I've been messing around with controlling both loops with expression pedals. Tons of fun.

I saw Failure back in 1998 or so at Clutch Cargos (Pontiac, MI), which was an old church that was reconfigured to be a concert hall. They had great sounds back then and I'm hoping to see them with the current AF3 setup to hear how it sounds in person. I'd love to see Ken do some hands-on YouTube videos showing how he dials in sounds. I understand he'd be hesitant to do that for Failure sounds, but to see him apply his engineering knowledge and years of experience with effects to coming up with new sounds would be awesome.

Anyone have a patch that he was using around 2220 he said it was mag, acoustic and synth .was the synth triggered or ?

Great video......have people had success mimicking the “mimiq” pedal with Ken’s 20 - 1 delay Tip settings ?

Great video......have people had success mimicking the “mimiq” pedal with Ken’s 20 - 1 delay Tip settings ?
I made a preset copying the settings on the video. It's a cool-sounding and (for me) a really cool-feeling effect. I don't have a Mimiq to compare it to though, and as far as I know the Mimiq uses some sort of algorithm that constantly varies the delay settings in a non-fixed pattern.

Back
Top Bottom