Kemper user here who just got an FM3 - blown away

nope. I don't have to touch hardly any parameters beyond the basic tab and am more than satisfied. simply not true.
Yeah. It’s like saying I hate guitar amplifiers because I have to open them up and change out the components to get the sound I want. Can I? Sure. Do I have to? No. With a Kemper though if you don’t like a profile you are SOL and have to keep searching.

Yeah. It’s like saying I hate guitar amplifiers because I have to open them up and change out the components to get the sound I want. Can I? Sure. Do I have to? No. With a Kemper though if you don’t like a profile you are SOL and have to keep searching.
biggest reason I hated the KPA. Were there good profiles? Sure....but even then you start messing with eq/drive they fall apart. Beyond that they ALL have a quality that I just didn't like.

I've never had or used a Kemper, but I understand that are a good tool for those that like them, and that's fine. I started with the Eleven Rack and graduated to the AXE FX II about a year later, and I'm totally good. Still have it, an AX8, and an AXE III, which is my main one, now. The AXE II is for sale, but no one seems to seriously want it, so I will probably just put it into my recording desk and keep it there. It still sounds fantastic!

On a personal note, I would have chosen Xanadu as the name of the new firmware. Xanadu is in my top 10 songs of all time and morbidly, is on my deathbed soundrack, along with Dogs (Pink Floyd), Supper's Ready/Firth of 5th (Seconds Out Phil versions), Blood on the Rooftops, Tarkus, Karn Evil 9, One for the Vine, To Be Over, Heart of the Sunrise (Yessongs) and finally, assuming I'm still conscious, my Ad Infinitum CD, capped off with Side 2 of Abbey Road). Of course, if still alive and kicking, then Bohemian Rhapsody, Stairway, Kashmir, Hotel California (yeah, I know), Gimme Shelter, Daniel, Won't Get Fooled Again, I've Been Searching so Long, Baker Street, Blinded by the Light (Manfred Mann), Carry on Wayward Son, then some Boston (Side 1), Def Leppard (Highn Dry), Little Guitars, Eruption, and several 70's pop songs.

Love and Music - the top two of human existence in this simulation or whatever the hell we are living in.

On a personal note, I would have chosen Xanadu as the name of the new firmware. Xanadu is in my top 10 songs of all time and morbidly, is on my deathbed soundrack, along with Dogs (Pink Floyd), Supper's Ready/Firth of 5th (Seconds Out Phil versions), Blood on the Rooftops, Tarkus, Karn Evil 9, One for the Vine, To Be Over, Heart of the Sunrise (Yessongs) and finally, assuming I'm still conscious, my Ad Infinitum CD, capped off with Side 2 of Abbey Road). Of course, if still alive and kicking, then Bohemian Rhapsody, Stairway, Kashmir, Hotel California (yeah, I know), Gimme Shelter, Daniel, Won't Get Fooled Again, I've Been Searching so Long, Baker Street, Blinded by the Light (Manfred Mann), Carry on Wayward Son, then some Boston (Side 1), Def Leppard (Highn Dry), Little Guitars, Eruption, and several 70's pop songs.

Love and Music - the top two of human existence in this simulation or whatever the hell we are living in.
2531C10C-6682-412C-8B4A-7141B2DF4A4F.jpeg

I sold my Kemper, there is a sound i can't unhear in it. The Quad Cortex capture has promise, the review by Paul Davids ripped it a bit in other categories. My hand keeps hovering over the buy button on the Axe FX III but holding out to see more about the QC and what Fractal has coming up...
Rabea's new video points out that sound...actually it's two sounds. The cocked wah sound and some sort of strange white noise type of distortion sound in the low mids. Most Kemper profiles seem to lack low end as well from the capture process.

I felt the same way when I came along, but now I can't believe how good this FM3 unit is now with the Live Gold preset pack, I just Love playing it everyday

Can I come to your funeral? ;)

I just got my 2nd FM3, I had to sell 1st one. And I just got word my Quad Dorktex is coming soon. But I am just loving plugging into a my BADCAT Paw stereo FX ins and hearing of the mighty CYGNUS approaching well.....this FM3 shan't be going anyway the QC will have to fight to the blood tests with my Kemper to live in this house. AXFX Conversion fully uploaded.

IBut I am just loving plugging into a my BADCAT Paw stereo FX ins and hearing of the mighty CYGNUS approaching well.....

I am interested in hearing your experience with the Paw. I have had my eye on that since it came out. Only single channel though which is why I hesitate.

Although some of your claims are technically flawless, as a Kemper user I bought FM3 and resold it after a month because simply ... Kemper sounds better.
It is less hifi, the guitar sound is not hi-fi, and I like what I hear from Kemper more of the FAS models.

Furthermore, a thousand options and parameters in the models that are essentially useless if not to satisfy the ego of those who program them.

Lastly, the repeated marketing of "now sounds like the real amp" seems a mockery to me.

My two cents
I do have to agree with you on the "now sounds like the real amp"...not sure how 30+ fw versions can seemingly get monstrously better, each version. I really think there is an eq appeal to certain people, along with the placebo effect. Albeit, sure there are backend changes, but I really don't think it is as crazily different than people on here are imagining. And also, yeah you're right there are so many settings that to me (unless you CRANK the volume) can never hear a minute difference...

I do have to agree with you on the "now sounds like the real amp"...not sure how 30+ fw versions can seemingly get monstrously better, each version. I really think there is an eq appeal to certain people, along with the placebo effect. Albeit, sure there are backend changes, but I really don't think it is as crazily different than people on here are imagining. And also, yeah you're right there are so many settings that to me (unless you CRANK the volume) can never hear a minute difference...
I don't get it. We are getting free updates which are supposed to improve the product. Some people hear or feel major differences after a firmware update, some people don't. Either one is fine. It depends on what or how much has been changed. Sometimes the improvements or fixes are minor, which most probably means you won't be hearing a difference. Again: either one is fine.

Time after time developers or customers hear something new compared to real amps that leads to an improvement. What this means is that the product is not perfect in every detail. If a user decides to A-B a real amp and a Fractal model and thinks that it sounds like the real thing, that's great. Others can disagree if they want to. Never has Fractal announced their product sounds 100 % like the real thing. Please do correct me on this one if you like. What they say is that their product sounds more realistic compared to any other modeler. You can do your own investigation, provide your findings and agree to disagree if you want. That is how the product evolves.

I just don't see how improving a product becomes such a bad thing.

Last edited:
I don't get it. We are getting free updates which are supposed to improve the product. Some people hear or feel major differences after a firmware update, some people don't. Either one is fine. It depends on what or how much has been changed. Sometimes the improvements or fixes are minor, which most probably means you won't be hearing a difference. Again: either one is fine.

Time after time developers or customers hear something new compared to real amps that leads to an improvement. What this means is that the product is not perfect in every detail. If a user decides to A-B a real amp and a Fractal model and thinks that it sounds like the real thing, that's great. Others can disagree if they want to. Never has Fractal announced their product sounds 100 % like the real thing. Please do correct me on this one if you like. What they say is that their product sounds more realistic compared to any other modeler. You can do your own investigation, provide your findings and agree to disagree if you want. That is how the product evolves.

I just don't see how improving a product becomes such a bad thing.
I'm really NOT dogging on it. I'm simply agreeing with the poster that I responded to. Seriously, after x number of updates (and ALWAYS I see the same thing), is there really any huge changes? We are now into Eric Johnson battery brand territory...

Reading this thread is now making me wish I hadn't caved and bought a Kemper stage last February out of not being patient enough for my wait list invitation for the FM3. Planning on putting an order in for one tomorrow most likely, and the we'll see if the Kemper Stage will end up on reverb shortly after.

What this means is that the product is not perfect in every detail. If a user decides to A-B a real amp and a Fractal model and thinks that it sounds like the real thing, that's great. Others can disagree if they want to. Never has Fractal announced their product sounds 100 % like the real thing. Please do correct me on this one if you like. What they say is that their product sounds more realistic compared to any other modeler.

"Authentic or idealized models" is relevant.

I'm really NOT dogging on it. I'm simply agreeing with the poster that I responded to. Seriously, after x number of updates (and ALWAYS I see the same thing), is there really any huge changes? We are now into Eric Johnson battery brand territory...
Well, some changes are huge and others not that huge. YMMV. It all depends what amp models you are using. My FM3 Marshalls sounds really different compared to when I first bought it. Haven’t really played on my III since the corona outbreak started so can’t tell about that.

Back
Top Bottom