JVM vs JS410 Surprise

RKF

Inspired
I've never owned or even played a real Marshall JVM410 or JS410, but I always thought the JS model seemed more desirable given who it was designed with and its more favorable reviews in general. I know tone is subjective, but does anyone else feel like me that in the AX8 the JVM models kill the JS? I find the JS modes kind of distant and fizzy compared to the JVM's louder and more present tones. To each their own I guess. I was just very surprised as I didn't expect this at all.

I almost bought the JS410 a while back. Given the modeled tones, I'm kind of glad I didn't. Does anyone have some good settings for the JS? It may just not be my cup of tea, but I love Satch and I'd like to cop some of his tones if possible. I may just be approaching the JS models the wrong way.

Hmmm...

I've never owned or even played a real Marshall JVM410 or JS410, but I always thought the JS model seemed more desirable given who it was designed with and its more favorable reviews in general. I know tone is subjective, but does anyone else feel like me that in the AX8 the JVM models kill the JS? I find the JS modes kind of distant and fizzy compared to the JVM's louder and more present tones. To each their own I guess. I was just very surprised as I didn't expect this at all.

I almost bought the JS410 a while back. Given the modeled tones, I'm kind of glad I didn't. Does anyone have some good settings for the JS? It may just not be my cup of tea, but I love Satch and I'd like to cop some of his tones if possible. I may just be approaching the JS models the wrong way.

Hmmm...

I owned a 410HJS for a couple years and loved it. I don't find the models in the AX8 represent it very well. I also owned a 210 and found the JS blew it away, all my opinion of course.

there was a JVM discussion on here about 6 months ago. Myself and others that had owned the original JVM all agreed that it was thin and always go lost on the mix. I went through much pain trying to work out why I could never really be heard live and eventually replaced my amp. The JS version is much better balanced from the clips I hear and has a better midrange ...

Last edited:
The original JVM 410 was the best valve amp I've ever owned and I have had LOTs, OD1 orange is the one for me. Such a nice amp to play. All my opinion of course, I think they get treated very unfairly.

The original JVM 410 was the best valve amp I've ever owned and I have had LOTs, OD1 orange is the one for me. Such a nice amp to play. All my opinion of course, I think they get treated very unfairly.
I guess I should qualify my comment a bit. I loved the amp features to death. It had the nicest clean sound and light crunch I had ever had. But 3 pub rock bands later, and 2 different sets of pickups as well as numerous other guitarists playing it and I gave up. The mids were just wouldn't cut through. Plug my guitar into other amps and the sound was there. Anyhow like you say, each to their own. I would love to have had a crack at the JS version in real life - I suspect I might have bonded with that one a bit more. I ended up selling and getting a Mesa Boogie RA-100 ... wow - what an amp. No missing midrange there, just sweetness. And now, Marshalls, Friedmans, Boogies, Bogners, and everything else under the sun ... the AX8 covers it all. Love it

I have never tried the real life amps, but the JS410 in the AX8 is my go-to amp. I use both the crunch and lead channels. I pair it with the basketweave tv mix- stock cab. Getting lovely crunchy tones, and great lead sounds.

I find the JS modes kind of distant and fizzy compared to the JVM's louder and more present tones.
I think we may have found the answer. Louder always sound better. If the JS is too quiet...turn it up. ;)

Did you use cliff tips for dialing it in he got from Satch?

Yeah keeping the tone controls around 10:00 as Joe does (according to Cliff) didn't help. I never keep my treble that low as I like a more present tone. Just comes down to personal preference I guess. Luckily it's as easy as spinnng a knob and finding a better amp with the AX8. :))

Hmmm...

I got the same sensation....
JS (1000/2410) lost "his soul" with my NEW AX8..
I did some experiments in order to get a good preset

an example here attached (ideal for JS2410 especially with neck pickup but also with mojo - use the volume pot to find your favourite tone..)

let me know about

Attachments

• Joe Satriani - OD1.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I did same experiments in order to get a good preset

an example here attached (ideal for JS2410 especially with neck pickup but also with mojo - use the volume pot to find your favourite tone..)

let me know about

Thanks for the patch! That's very usable as is. Very interesting settings for the TS808 in that one. I notice you have a very narrow frequency range set in it. You also keep the mids way lower than I typically do. Gives me a new direction to go in.

Thanks,

I did same experiments in order to get a good preset

let me know about
great preset...thanx!

Thanks for the patch! That's very usable as is. Very interesting settings for the TS808 in that one. I notice you have a very narrow frequency range set in it. You also keep the mids way lower than I typically do. Gives me a new direction to go in.

Thanks,

Thanks, I use tube screamer more o less..like a booster...so you can engage it for a lead part and you'll have a bit of "more" distortion. The Ax8 is connected to an AW2400, so I use mainly the headphones, but I think this preset sounds good. (For me..)

I liked OD1 orange too ! So I modded OD2 to be the same as OD1 amongst others and now I have two instances of OD orange...

Plus 1. I currently own 16 valve amps and my ax8. I love ALL of them, but the JVM410 (original, just re-tubed all to stock specs) remains my live head of choice. At least every other show, I have people asking me about my tone (they love it). They are surprised that all the tone is from the head, my mulitfx is only effects and channel switching.

Back
Top Bottom