Just Saw Diesel @ $6/gallon!!! WTF!!

Vehicles are way more complicated, and as such even basic maintenance (of which there are many more items that either need maintenance, or will need to be repaired) is something that your average DIY'er cannot do.
Sure, vehicles are more complicated but they also last a lot longer than they used to.

But overall, I agree - inflation is bad - and a shock to the system - I know it well as my parents lost their home due it in the late 70s, so not lost on me.

And really, I didn't start this thread to be about how fuel prices affect our cost to drive
the thread is about high gas prices, no? so imo my post is related - but no need to get yur shorts in a twist - I posted it more as a "look on the bright side" type thing than any serious challenge to the fact of how dangerous inflation can be.

Last edited:

agree and disagree - for those old enough to remember, cars for example were not made to last - if you owned a 5+ yo car in 73 that was not a rusted piece of junk then it was an exception. Now, one can easily own a 12+ yo car with 100sK kms on it - no problem. A lot of parts integration is done for economisation, not
necesserily always planned obsolecence as the conspiricy theorists will insist we believe. My 1st 20 inch Sony crt TV cost 900$ in 1985 - my most recent 55" Sony LED cost $375 in inflation adjusted 1985$, is lasting longer, and is more reliable - that kind of efficiency (that all of us have enjoyed and demand / insist upon) comes at a cost - repairable modularity is one of those costs.

Last edited:
agree and disagree - for those old enough to remember, cars for example were not made to last - if you owned a 5+ yo car in 73 that was not a rusted piece of junk then it was an exception. Now, one can easily own a 12+ yo car with 100sK kms on it - no problem. A lot of parts integration is done for economisation, not
necesserily always planned obsolecence as the conspiricy theorists will insist we believe. My 1st 20 inch Sony crt TV cost 900$ in 1985 - my most recent 55" Sony LED cost $375 in inflation adjusted 1985$, is lasting longer, and is more reliable - that kind of efficiency (that all of us have enjoyed and demand / insist upon) comes at a cost - repairable modularity is one of those costs.

Of course there was. Maybe a different kind of obsolescence. I don't recall anyone saying
a 1978 F150 was gonna last forever. :)

There have been an increasing number of lawsuits directed at some Big names over
the level of obsolescence that appears to be on the increase, to the point that consumers
in places like Chile and Portugal have either settled or won class action lawsuits. I believe
there are quite a few of those class-action suits still open and pending, too--including in
the EU.

I listened to a corporate whistleblower doing a TEDtalk about just this issue, and how it is a
deferred/added expense put on the backs of consumers that they are not aware of. Built to
fail. To the point that some are not even manufacturing any replacement parts for their
products.

Last edited:
Of course there was. I don't recall anyone saying a 1978 F150 was gonna last forever. :)

There have been an increasing number of lawsuits directed at some Big names over
the level of obsolescence that appears to be on the increase, to the point that consumers
in places like Chile and Portugal have either settled or won class action lawsuits. I believe
there are quite a few of those class-action suits still open and pending, too.

I listened to a corporate whistleblower doing a TEDtalk about just this issue, and how it is a
deferred/added expense put on the backs of consumers that they are not aware of. Built to
fail. To the point that some are not even manufacturing any replacement parts for their
products.
I know it a real thing for sure - I just don't think its as universal as some suggest - and I think some genuine efforts to make products more affordable are construed to be nefariously motivated planned obsolecense when its not - I know I'm an outlyer in my beliefs that nothing is black and white but - I feel nothing is as black and white as a lot of sources try to tell us it is - maybe I am getting too old to see it - dunno

First noticed it with cereal boxes. The price didn't change, and the apparent size of the box didn't change as viewed from the front on the shelf, but the box got thinner....
It's happening with electric guitars too. They used to have thick bodies with a nicely resonant hollow space inside, like an acoustic. Now lots of them are just a thin solid piece of wood, or even better, several smaller pieces of wood glued together pretending to be one piece.

Sheesh.

Last edited:
It's happening with electric guitars too. They used to have thick bodies with a nicely resonant hollow space inside, like an acoustic. Now lots of them are just a thin solid piece of wood, or even better, several smaller pieces of wood glued together pretending to be one piece.

Sheesh.
I notice the difference between my 1987 LPC and 2010 Goldtop. The Goldtop is not as heavy and not as resonant as the 87.

Shrinkflation is bad?
What about concealed shrinkflation.
The size of the package reamains the same but the contents shrink.
Look for example at a box of cereals. Most are not even 3/4 filled.
We are constantly being conned

Back
Top Bottom