Just ordered Ultimate Ears 11 pro. Anyone else use in-ears?

I've been using the Alien Ears IEMs for some time now. They offer a quality that is equal to any of the competition (UE, Westone, etc.) at a much better price point. I have their triple-driver set which I use religiously when working in the studio, live performance and even for hi-fi listening.

I'm looking for a new wireless system to use but haven't made a decision as of yet. I'm waiting and hoping that they come up with a digital system soon since I'm not interested in a UHF setup if I don't have to.

Either way, it does take a bit to get used to using IEMs live, but in the end I feel they really help tighten up the band and everyone can play at reasonable volumes which is better all-round for everyone.

I just got a Pivitec system

Thanks for this. I hadn't heard of this company. It looks promising. The number of components is daunting (5 from desk to ears). But it's not far from my short term dream:

Desk|Audio interface - Digital IO (madi preferably)->
Converter -ethernet->
Switch -ethernet->
Personal/Group Transmitter/Receiver -air->
Body receiver/transmitter (monitor mix from receiver, transmit stereo instrument or mic(s))

And then hang wireless off of the switch to control the Converter and the Personal/Group Transmitter/Receiver via mobile devices... This system would reduce the number of components to 4 and allow for bi-directional stereo wireless on each person, reducing the wires/body packs required.

Oh, and make it redundant with 2 Converters, 2 switches, 2 access points, and 2 transmitters per person :0)

ACS T1 Live are made of silicone and have a built in mic so that you can include some ambient "room noise" (using a mixer to dial them in).

Are you using these wirelessly? If so, what are you using for the built in mic? Last I checked, the body pack was announced a long time ago but never available and the Sensaphonic unit is terribly expensive and bulky considering you need that and a wireless pack... not to mention a 3rd pack for the guitar... and another if you sing with a wireless mic.

I've been looking at these to replace my current silicone molds and would like to have the ambient mic option but the lack of the body pack or any indication of what is going gives me pause. I may forgo the mics and opt for ports instead.

From what I've read and researched, it's not so much the number of the drivers, but the custom mould. I'm toying with getting my Shure 430's remoulded. I've got two pairs so I can compare and see how much of a difference it makes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think it matters.. I started with some shure single drivers, and then went to triple customs... the shures sound very scooped in comparison, the mids in the customs are there now, much more balanced. The singles had a smiley face curve that you can hear the difference. My triples I have to bring up bass and highs a tad.

One thing that is missing from the market is an affordable 8-10 aux board. My last drummer had the Mackie dl1608 and it was almost perfect.. only had 6 auxes and doing a stereo aux pair was a huge pain.

I'm looking for a new wireless system to use but haven't made a decision as of yet. I'm waiting and hoping that they come up with a digital system soon since I'm not interested in a UHF setup if I don't have to.

I'm also waiting for someone to come up with a digital wireless system. I'm using the AudioTechnica M2 and it's ok, but I need to eq it a bit since it lacks low end and you get interference.
There's a company called Lectrosonics that has a digital IEM but I never heard of them before.

Will do. I'm guessing the trick is to micro manage the mix and maybe try ambient mics.

Hey Tyler - you'll be glad you picked the UE 11's - they are really great IEMs.
I've used several different UE sets, currently I use the UE18s when I use IEM and the Atomics CLRs when I use monitors, and I love both.
My patches translates really well from one to the other, but sometimes I like a little more compression and a little more reverb in my IEM signal than I do with the monitors.
I think that has got to do with the the physical closeness of the IEM to your eardrum, and I think that is why many have to get used to IEM.
Normally I don't use much reverb, but with IEM it's important to get a sense of space in the music and of the audience, which is where verb and as you correctly note ambience mics come into play and are really important.
We have great monitor tech and get individual personalized mixes, so naturally that helps a lot too.
Once you get it right with IEM you'll have that sonic sweet spot everywhere on stage.

Last edited:
Thanks for this. I hadn't heard of this company. It looks promising. The number of components is daunting (5 from desk to ears). But it's not far from my short term dream:

Desk|Audio interface - Digital IO (madi preferably)->
Converter -ethernet->
Switch -ethernet->
Personal/Group Transmitter/Receiver -air->
Body receiver/transmitter (monitor mix from receiver, transmit stereo instrument or mic(s))

And then hang wireless off of the switch to control the Converter and the Personal/Group Transmitter/Receiver via mobile devices... This system would reduce the number of components to 4 and allow for bi-directional stereo wireless on each person, reducing the wires/body packs required.

Oh, and make it redundant with 2 Converters, 2 switches, 2 access points, and 2 transmitters per person :0)

The number of components is a little much, but it's not all that bad considering we each have 32 channels of wireless remote accessibility that we can each adjust using our iPads....so far we're loving it....

we're going to rack the whole system so it'll be an easy setup at gigs...........

First off, I love my Matrix/JBL monitoring situation. I'm perfectly happy, But I figure since everyone else in my 10 piece band uses in-ears, I might as well take the plunge to see if its for me.

So, Since i don't like to cut corners, I went for the best I could find. Did the whole mold of my ear this morning and sent them off to be made this afternoon.

Anyone use in ears? More specifically Ultimate Ears? this is completely new territory for me, but I can only imagine how good the Axe_fx would sound through these things.

Tyler,
I've been running the UE-11's for quite a while and I really like them. We used to run a handful of K10 and K12 wedges before. I had one wedge for my vocals and another for my Axe FX. Everyone else had their own wedge. The stage volume was LOUD, but it never sounded that great when everyone was playing together. I think there may have been some phase cancellation going on with so many wedges is such tight space. I've gone through a long list of other systems before settling with the Ultimate Ears. I found that the universal fit Westone 3's were very good for the money. But with the custom molds of the UE-11's, they stay in place much better than any universal 'foamies'. I sort of have to screw them in my ear, and unscrew them to get them out. As others have mentioned, it can be tough when someone from the crowd comes up to talk to you and you have to pull one out to hear. We run a pair of ambient mics pointing out at the crowd to make everything sound a bit more 'real'.

As far as audio quality goes, the UE-11's are tough to beat. They are extremely accurate. I find them comparable to my Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones which I really like as well. The best part of the in-ears arrangement is that I can hear! We've also experimented with a variety of different setups and I will say that regardless of what in-ear monitor you use, the other components in the chain can make a big difference. I'm pretty sure not everyone will agree but here's what we've found:

1. Mono vs Stereo - Personally, I much prefer stereo. The 'space' in your head and the realism results in a much more satisfying experience.

2. Wired vs Wireless - I love the freedom of wireless, but I prefer the audio quality of wired. The boys in our band are wired except for the lead singer who is running the Sennheiser wireless system. For wired units we run the Jump Audio rigs which are very convenient. The cord is small and supple, with no compromise in sound quality from the guitar. With this arrangement you only have one cable running to your belt or guitar strap and it carries both your in-ear monitor signal and your guitar signal.

3. Not all Aux sends (mixers) are the same. - We ran one of the most popular digital mixers on the market until a few months ago when we stepped up to an A&H GLD80 mixer. What a difference on the in-ear audio quality. Just amazingly good. With the UE-11's, our in-ears mix is so clear, accurate, and detailed, it sounds superb. On the other hand, it doesn't hide any mistakes either! ;-)

Our live rig consists of two Axe FX II's, Nord keys direct, bass guitar direct to a Tech 21 RBI rackmount modeler, Jobeky drums and Smartrigger cymbals triggering Superior Drummer 2.0 via a Macbook Pro connected to the GLD80 desk via a Dante I/O card. The point is there is virtually no stage noise. No wedges, the drums are silent,....everything is direct. The mixer feeds active subs and tops (Fulcrum Acoustics) which are fantastic speakers, so FOH is void of any bleed, which results in a really, really clean mix. People notice.

With the in-ears system, we play for 3 or 4 hours and at the end of the gig, we pull them out and it feels like we've been chatting in the living room. Meaning no ear fatigue, just a very fresh set of ears, just like when we started. Very refreshing. Don't get me wrong. We like it loud. It's just that the in-ears really take the pressure off your ears.

So I think you'll be happy with your purchase. It'll take awhile to get used to them, but when you do, you'll be set. Please keep us posted on how it turns out for you and good luck!

Just saw these - might be the first digital wireless in-ear system -
Wi Digital Systems
Amazon.com: jangus music: Musical Instruments

seems reasonable priced, wonder how they sound ...the size sure is amazing....

I wrote about these awhile ago:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/lounge/40975-jangus-music-wi-audiolink-iem-wireless-instrument.html

Jangus is now Wi Digital. There is a new one out called the Wi AudioLink Pro. It's like the previous model except that it does bi-directional stereo and the non-body back side can act as a USB audio device connected to a computer. I haven't used it yet but will try it out. The cool thing about it for guitarists is that you only need one body pack for guitar and ears. I used the old one for live practice (usually not with guitar) but for live, I used other systems. I never proved them out for reliability in a dense wifi environment. They pretty much blow away the other systems out there in terms of sound quality but they are held back by the lack of more professional features such as better jacks, protected buttons, better range, and a metal case.

PS the pro is not at Amazon. B&H has them. Also, check out their new wireless units intended for wireless speakers. I haven't used them but they look promising for depth based speaker setups where you don't want to run any cable and you don't own one of the newer wifi speaker systems.

Last edited:
I wrote about these awhile ago:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/lounge/40975-jangus-music-wi-audiolink-iem-wireless-instrument.html

Jangus is now Wi Digital. There is a new one out called the Wi AudioLink Pro. It's like the previous model except that it does bi-directional stereo and the non-body back side can act as a USB audio device connected to a computer. I haven't used it yet but will try it out. The cool thing about it for guitarists is that you only need one body pack for guitar and ears. I used the old one for live practice (usually not with guitar) but for live, I used other systems. I never proved them out for reliability in a dense wifi environment. They pretty much blow away the other systems out there in terms of sound quality but they are held back by the lack of more professional features such as better jacks, protected buttons, better range, and a metal case.

PS the pro is not at Amazon. B&H has them. Also, check out their new wireless units intended for wireless speakers. I haven't used them but they look promising for depth based speaker setups where you don't want to run any cable and you don't own one of the newer wifi speaker systems.

Wi Digital AudioLink Pro Wireless Instrument and In-Ear WI-ALP55

These things look very promising - and a great small size too!

Grape - If you've tried them for IEMs - i'd love to hear your thoughts....

Ultimate Ears I believe are the top of the line in In Ear Monitoring. I have a pair of Shure E5 which sound good as well just need the ear molds.

I would too, I'm the interested in the latency on the newest units.

I will post a separate thread when I have a chance to try the wi digital pro system however, my comments on the older system still apply. The major difference will be testing the USB 2.0 capability (I don't have high hopes for that) and the bidirectional use with guitar and in-ear.

Anybody have problems with the Ultimate Ears hurting their ear canal?
My old drummer (and a few of his friends that are pro touring guys) said that the molds ended up hurting their ears and cutting up the inside of their ears.
Not sure if it was the type of material (rubber or plastic) that was hurting them, or if the person who did their molds, didn't do them correctly.
I think at the time, the process was that they had you chew gum during the mold process, to simulate any possible movement in your ear canal that may happen during use.

These guys all switched to foam tips instead. I think they got future sonics.

Keeping in mind, they're drummers.....so audio quality may not be the top priority....but comfort is.
(no drummer ever says - "I want more mids in my snare"...haha)

I'm using Alien Ears molded Triple Drivers. They sound great, I mainly use them for vocals with a hint of guitar. I'm finding it hard to get an airy guitar sound in my IEMs'. I was just reading a thread on the" room" setting in the cabs. I may have to experiment with this!

I'm using Alien Ears molded Triple Drivers. They sound great, I mainly use them for vocals with a hint of guitar. I'm finding it hard to get an airy guitar sound in my IEMs'. I was just reading a thread on the" room" setting in the cabs. I may have to experiment with this!

For this reason I use more reverb in my IEM than I do when using my CLRs

I almost need an outboard reverb unit to feed my IEM! I'm already using output 1 and 2 so it's not an option for me to feed from the A2.

Back
Top Bottom