Just ordered a Furman P-1800 AR for my AxeFx...overkill?

So since I plan to use the AxeFx both in the studio and live (with a Matrix poweramp) I decided I should probably protect my investment with some sort of power conditioner. Surge protection is all well and good for extreme voltage situations but I know that less dramatic voltage fluctuations can cause computers to crash and since the AxeFx was kind of like a specific purpose computer maybe it was a good idea to also add some voltage regulation to the mix especially since my home is in an industrial area with a cookie factory up the road and considering how varied the electrical situation can be from club to club.

What are your thoughts...is the P-1800 overkill or would a higher end $200-400 surge protector have been sufficient?

Thanks in advance for your input. :)

This should definitely be a worthwhile investment.

Consistent power + excellent surge protection and noise filtering = win.

My PL-Plus DMC is good, but I know there are better units.

nice choice. i like that they're putting usb charging ports on the front now. 15 lbs though, what else you got in the rack?

I use a Furman AR-1215 I actually have 2 and would never go without it on my gear.. I lost an ADA MP2 one time to a brown out.
voltage regulation rules!

nice choice. i like that they're putting usb charging ports on the front now. 15 lbs though, what else you got in the rack?

I was thinking the same thing but I figure even with everything it will still be lighter than most amps I use.

It's a 4 space rack and it will have the Furman, the AxeFx II XL+ and when I order it in a couple of weeks, the Matrix GT-1000FX 1U.

Good choice, was looking at them the other day as the AR-1215 has been out of production a while. Nice unit.

My 8 space has two XLs, the Furman P-1800, Line 6 G90 and a Shure PSM700 in it- I don't wanna know what it weighs...

FYI, a Furman PL PLUS DMC, an XL and a Matrix GT1000 in an SKB19-4U weight 46 pounds, way more than any tube amp head!

True...but I usually use large combos when I use tube amps. Sure, I'd have to bring cabs with the AxeFx but in terms of single things I'd be carrying it's still going to be less heavy than, say, a Twin...and lighter than the SuperBassman 300 tube head I bring with me on bass gigs. :)

I have one and use it with the axe II I have had several surges here which knocked power out.
With the axe on and off I sustained no damage..
I had a tree fall and rip the power off the side of this house...
The axe was off but on that 1800 it took out my stove, microwave, and dryer all in one whack and those were all OFF.

Did not matter SURGE during the 18-22 days I spent with no power I did not
play or even test things off the generator I waited but when things were fixed,
I fired up the mac and tv and axe all that worked just fine..
The axe being on the 1800 but off at the time..

Ive had surges which blinked things off while playing the axe and I turned strip off
and then turned things back on from strip and all good.

So I can vouch that they protect against massive surges and minor power outages.
When the tree ripped the meter off the house it spiked through the house and knocked stuff out through the house and past my axe fx so it would have really toasted most things plugged in
regardless if they were on or off sitting there.

I feel the axe was spared by power strip same for mac and my speakers those were on another set of strips which worked well.

I use one. I had a Monster go off in the middle of a theater show that I thought had failed, because it had no idiot lights. Then, I stupidly bypassed it to finish the show and was puzzled when the Monster came back on at home. It was then that I realized the Monster had shutdown because of an overvoltage condition, 137 Volts on a 110 Volt line. Luckily, the Axe was protected by the fact that it was designed for universal voltage, but it could of killed everything else. Next day, AR-1800. One averted screw up, and it's paid for itself.

If you plan on playing out a lot the Regulator will def. help. I've run into way too many problems with voltage drops, spikes and wacky things on the same circuit that affect digital devices. I won't leave home with out it.

Back
Top Bottom