Just in case you needed a reason to pull your hair out...

Oh my.

I guess it goes to show that if you've got a computer and a microphone and you know a guy with .1% knowledge of a subject based on hearsay, you can produce a podcast and someone (guilty) will listen to it. Can't say I wasn't warned.

While Eddie's introduction to what the Fractal/digital modelling could have been better and clearer, to be sure, he seemed to generally get what modelling is all about, what advantages that brings, and was genuinely enthused and interested as to how a small box can replace a whole backline, mics, etc.

His analogy comparing virtual amps to tube amps ("it's like wireless, some guys will use it, some guys will swear by a cable") was a simple summation and spot on.

It sounded like some of his listeners were thinking that having 'no amps' on stage was akin to 'auto-tune' and other trickery to generate/process music; Ed was trying to understand why that's not the case and articulate it to his listeners...that the gutarist is still "generating input" to a guitar amp/cab, be it a 'real one' or a virtual one. The performance is still 'the real thing'.

While Eddie's introduction to what the Fractal/digital modelling could have been better and clearer, to be sure, he seemed to generally get what modelling is all about, what advantages that brings, and was genuinely enthused and interested as to how a small box can replace a whole backline, mics, etc.

His analogy comparing virtual amps to tube amps ("it's like wireless, some guys will use it, some guys will swear by a cable") was a simple summation and spot on.

It sounded like some of his listeners were thinking that having 'no amps' on stage was akin to 'auto-tune' and other trickery to generate/process music; Ed was trying to understand why that's not the case and articulate it to his listeners...that the gutarist is still "generating input" to a guitar amp/cab, be it a 'real one' or a virtual one. The performance is still 'the real thing'.

Spot on!

I didn't think that there was anyone in the music industry that didn't now about FAS at this point.

I love Eddie - and while he is VERY knowledgeable about rock music - he is not a musician himself - and self admittedly doesn't know a guitar cable from a midi cable... so it does not surprise me that he really doesn't know what the magic black box does... Hell - theres a lot of guitar players I've talked to who don't understand what the axe is... haha

I hung out with Eddie for awhile at the Def Lep rehearsals he refers to. Super nice guy.
I want to know who this caller/tech is so I can thank him for the legitimate compliments and breadth of understanding.

I love Eddie - and while he is VERY knowledgeable about rock music - he is not a musician himself - and self admittedly doesn't know a guitar cable from a midi cable... so it does not surprise me that he really doesn't know what the magic black box does... Hell - theres a lot of guitar players I've talked to who don't understand what the axe is... haha

I guess it's just me! having been immersed in the FAS world for so many years I take it for granted that it's common knowledge. I'm sure Eddie is a great guy! no disrespect to him and I do realize that he is not a musician. I have watched and listened to him from time to time over the years. Actually my comment was more directed at the listener / guitar tech talking about it as if he had just discovered the Axe FX last week ;).

I didn't get the part where the caller said that with the Axe-Fx, "you can plug your mic into the computer, mic your amplifier, and it'll show you all the EQ parameters of the amp that you're working with." I don't think he completely understands how modeling works.

That said, it's not unheard of, even these days, for pro-level guitar techs to be unfamiliar with the Axe-Fx.

I didn't get the part where the caller said that with the Axe-Fx, "you can plug your mic into the computer, mic your amplifier, and it'll show you all the EQ parameters of the amp that you're working with."
I took that to be a description of tone matching.

I hung out with Eddie... Super nice guy.

... legitimate compliments and breadth of understanding.

Very nice of you to say so Matt. I can only imagine how broad the understanding would be if either one of them had used the phone in their pocket to read a product description on the Fractal site.

Now I have to go, my super nice neighbors who saw a telescope on the internet are discussing string theory.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom