Just got Axe Fx 2 need midi help using HD500x

RobMFX

Hey guys I literally just go the Axe Fx 2 yesterday and Im very impressed coming off of a HD500x. I am trying to now use the HD500x as a midi controller and I was able to find a thread that explains how to, but I am really confused and need some real guidance! I was able to get the HD500x to change the patches on the Axe Fx but I also want to use the Wah on the HD500x. How can I do this?? My second question is, should I buy another midi cable to go from the 'out" of the Axe Fx to the "input" of the HD500x? Your help is greatly appreciated Im sure I will have more questions soon!

BTW this is the thread that I am trying to use:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/other...-use-pod-hd500-midi-controller-axe-fx-ii.html

I would just use 1 cable no need for 2.the pod will not display axe info. to use the exp for wahwa you have to set exp 1 + 2 on the pod for the cc# of 1 + 2 in the axe( axe front panel I/o ctrl To find cc#) then in the axe preset if using axe edit click on the wah block then right click the center of the control that is controllable(the axe controllable knobs have the little -[]- symbol in the center) this opens the modifier window you must choose exp 1 or 2( in this window) for it to read the signal from the pod. I hope this helps and doesn't confuse I should have asked are you familiar with midi commands.

Thanks for the info. Ok just so I can follow this, the first thing I do is press I/O on the front panel of the Axe. I dont see anything that says cc :/

Thanks for the info. Ok just so I can follow this, the first thing I do is press I/O on the front panel of the Axe. I dont see anything that says cc :/

I/O on axe front panel, page over to ctrl(page), arrow down till you see exp 1 exp 2 exp3 etc this is a very important page when trying to use a midi controller to make switches in the axe , this page will give you the address for every thing in the axe you can control with a cc# address.(not the only things you can control just what you control with cc# switch change) be care full while in this page if you bump the val knob it will change these cc# and until you really understand midi you really do not want to change any thing here just look!

I really appreciate this help. There is no exp 1 exp 2 exp3 etc, I only EXT CTRL 1,2,3 etc......

An Ext Ctrl is the thing to use. Adjust one device or the other (I don't know if the POD allows it) so the pedal's CC# matches the Ext Ctrl's CC# (right column).

If you have to change the Axe from defaults, watch out for CC#s already in use by another item on the CTRL page. You'd probably want to set the other one to "none".

Ok Im trying to follow this and I think Im getting the closer. The wah on the HD500x is now acting like a volume pedal lol but I still cant get it to act as a wah

Navigate to an Ext Ctrl at the CTRL page and press enter (screen flashes "learning") then move the pedal. The Axe will change the Ext Ctrl to the CC# received. It's probably the same CC# as input volume or output volume, 10 or 11. Set the volume item to "none" so the Ext Ctrl is now the only thing using that CC#. This is the easiest way to set things up if you don't want to (or can't) adjust CC#s on the MIDI controller.

I have to be honest I just cant get this to work. I dont expect you to spend any more time helping although I appreciate it. I think there are probably a series of steps that include:

1) settings on Axe Fx Edit
2) settings on the HD500x and
3) corresponding settings on the Axe Fx unit

and Im just not getting it. I dont know if If Im missing steps or just doing things out of order. Ill try to start from square one and let you know.

UPDATE: I seem to have been able to get the wah to work on one patch (3 Brownface) but its always on and I cant seem to turn the wah off just by clicking it off on the Line6 like normal. Also How do I make this global? Do I have to do this for every patch. Im sorry Im just totally lost. I taught myself pro-tools and I literally cant understand this process.

Last edited:
Controlling anything like wah needs to be configured per preset on the Axe-FX. (Recall: Effect via front panel, Axe-Edit's block library or copy/paste can simplify adding a block with certain settings/controllers to multiple presets.)

The switch is a separate thing to set up, where you'd either match its CC# to Wahwah 1 Bypass at the I/O CTRL page, or set it as an Ext Ctrl. The Ext Ctrl could then be assigned to any modifiable parameter per preset, including block bypass. The "learn" function can be used for this step too.

It sounds like you have the pedal = Ext Ctrl part done at least. The order of steps doesn't matter when setting this up.

Quick summary of steps required:

1. At I/O CTRL page, 2 items set to CC#s of pedal & switch. Either two Ext Ctrls, or one Ext Ctrl + Wahwah 1 Bypass. Avoid multiple instances of one CC# by setting other items to "none" as needed.

2. In wah block, pedal's Ext Ctrl assigned to "control" parameter. Press enter w/ front panel or right-click w/ Axe-Edit, choose Ext Ctrl as source.

3. If you went with an Ext Ctrl for switch in step 1, assign that Ext Ctrl to wah bypass via its "bypass mode" parameter. If you chose Wahwah 1 Bypass instead, it should automatically work when there's a Wahwah 1 block present.

looks like bakerman has a better grip on midi then I do. but let me add, when using the pod as a controller if using it to also do preset changes you must program the midi for every preset. so if you want to have wahwa in every axe patch and be able to control it, you must put a wahwa block in every axe patch and set all controllers in the pod for every preset.( the pod has no global that I am aware of).

Hi again. It seems that the wah on the HD500x now automatically works with every patch with a wah on the Axe FX and it turns off when I put the pedal back to the HEEL position which should be fine for now. I guess at this point I just need help maybe with how to make the buttons on the HD500x turn on/off effects (delay etc)

Bypassing at heel is due to auto-engage. That's an option set at the modifier screen (in this case what you'd access via wah CONTROL knob).

Assuming the switches send a CC# (I don't know if this is a global or per-preset thing to set up on the POD) you can use the learn function to assign them quickly to specific blocks. For example, navigate to "Delay 1 Bypass" at the Axe I/O: CTRL page and press enter, then press a switch. If it stops blinking "learning" you should find that switch will toggle Delay 1 on/off in any preset. Another option is Ext Ctrl as described above, where you could assign it to any parameter(s) per preset.

ok I am making progress, I was also able to get the HD500x to turn off delay FS1 (CC# 47) and reverb FS2 (CC# 83) in a patch so thats a good start. I have them to assigned to FS1 and FS2 on the line6 but why dont they light up on the HD500x when I turn them on/on?

if you want switch light response you need to build a patch in the line 6 were that switch actually turns some thing on and of. when I set my pod up to control the axe I simulated the names and patchs of what was in the axe, 2 reasons, one it makes the exp peadal and toe switch functionable(if using for wah and volume, and simulates sound some what if you need it for back up)after patches are simulated use line 6 edit to adjust the midi commands in the controller screen.

if you want switch light response you need to build a patch in the line 6 were that switch actually turns some thing on and of. when I set my pod up to control the axe I simulated the names and patches of what was in the axe, 2 reasons, one it makes the exp pedal and toe switch functionable (if using for wah and volume, and simulates sound some what if you need it for back up)after patches are simulated use line 6 edit to adjust the midi commands in the controller screen.

Im not sure what you mean by "build a patch in the line 6 where that switch actually turns some thing on and of", do you mean create a patch that has a wah in it? I thought that didnt matter when you are using midi commands. Also I dont understand what you mean by "simulated the names and patches of what was in the axe". Do you mean name the patch on the HD500x the same thing as the Axe Fx? How would that make the exp pedal and toe switch functionable? Thanks again for the help I just need to clarify.

to your first question, yes, that's what he's saying. The point is, think of the POD as just a board with buttons on it that do whatever you assign for them to do. The POD doesn't know if your guitar is plugged into it, or if it's being used just as a midi controller, it's just doing what you tell it. So in the POD, if you have a patch that is set up to turn on/off the wah when you push a button, the light will go on/off because it's activated in the POD patch. The beauty is that the POD will simultaneously send a CC when you push the button, which tells the AXE to turn on whatever you have assigned to that CC command (which can be the wah, or a delay, or a scene, or whatever you want). Therefore, when you turn on the POD wah, the AXE can be assigned to turn on its wah too. Again, the POD doesn't know what you're doing, it just knows what it's being told to do.

to your 2nd question, yes.

thanks Jrod you nailed it. Got the package to day thanks for usps, much easier on my end, thank you. The only way I found to get the exp and toe switch on the pod to change between exp1 and exp2 was to actually have a wah and volume in a dummy pod patch. but of course I learned it by trial and error there maybe a better way! as far as the name thing goes that is only so you can see the name of the patch the axe is on(pretty handy when on stage and the axe is behind you)

I have to tell you guys, I thought I was making progress but I am just not fully understanding the settings that I need on the HD500x and the Axe FX to make the wah work at all now. I dont know how I went backwards :blue: On a positive note, I do have FS1 turning on/off delay and FS2 turning on/off reverb but now the FS1 button lights up when the delay is off which is the opposite of what I want. As far as the wah, if you guys have the patience, can you LITERALLY start at square one and tell me the exact settings on each device? For example, there are several settings on the HD500x and I think Im not getting all of them, and there are few settings under the I/O CTRL screen that I must be screwing up. Finally, it seems there are some settings that I need to do on the Axe-Edit to make this work. Maybe we could do it via private message. I really appreciate the help. The Axe Fx is a huge investment for me and I am selling gear as we speak to be able to keep this thing. If I could get the HD500x to integrate really well, it would be awesome for me.

Back
Top Bottom