just got a brand new axe 2 and have some questions

ok so i switched presets again the Y is muted again, :(

global Y control? lol

The y side of a block allows you to program a completely different bunch of settings without using another block. It's applicable to amp blocks and many of the effects blocks. The factory presets don't include y settings, but you can easily add them wherever you like if that block allows y settings. It's an extremely powerful feature and very easy to use, but the idea of a global y control doesn't really make much sense.

Danny W.

The y side of a block allows you to program a completely different bunch of settings without using another block. It's applicable to amp blocks and many of the effects blocks. The factory presets don't include y settings, but you can easily add them wherever you like if that block allows y settings. It's an extremely powerful feature and very easy to use, but the idea of a global y control doesn't really make much sense.

Danny W.

that was a joke

ok so i switched presets again the Y is muted again, :(

global Y control? lol

After you get it unmuted, you have to save it. Else when you come back, it's just like it was before.

It'll be a learning curve, but you are gonna love it. :)

Its taken me months of playing with things to get some nice tones that I like. Yes, I got frustrated really fast but this technology is new to me so I decided to take small steps slowly. I am still deciding on what route to go, FRFR, or FR active monitor or power amp/cab. Just don't give up.

But I mean come on this thing is so powerful, only 400 presets? I make alot, i mean ALOT of effects, and dont see 400 being enough.

Keep in mind, you can make thousands of presets it's just that you can only have 384 loaded at any given time. If you seriously need more than 384 presets you could always bring a laptop with you to a gig and swap out all three banks between sets. Then if you do 3 sets you have over a thousand presets to use. Now I don't recommend this nonsense, but hey, if you need that many presets for a gig there's a solution for you.

But don't limit yourself by what's inside the box. Think "outside of the box" and you'll be amazed at what you can do with it. There are some brilliant people on this forum doing things I never would have dreamed of with the Axe-Fx II. If you spend some time around here you'll see what I mean. Usually, when I see someone post some kind of work flow dilemma the thread lights up with multiple solutions about how to "work around" the issue. And, nothing is perfect but I think you'll find this is the most complete, self-contained solution out there.

One last thing to keep in mind. Cliff is always finding some way to get more and more out of this hardware, whether it's X/Y switching, or scenes, or some other mumbo jumbo he comes up with. His commitment to this thing really is amazing and inspiring. If you have some free time, open the release notes and start at the bottom and read through all the changes this thing has gone through since 1.01 (should be required reading for all noob Axe-Fx II users) and then when you get to the top think about what could possibly be coming next.

Good luck! And welcome aboard, it's going to be an awesome ride!

Hold on - we are talking 384 preset slots x 8 scenes = 3,072. Many blocks have x and y states, so let's safely double that figure to about 6,000. When considering the various possibilities modifiers offer we hit 10,000 pretty soon. You'd need a pretty large excel file to administrate and memorise all the effects that are in there... ;-)

Lol and I can't seem to get passed the first 25 or so because they sound so good. In other words I like the sound rock I'm under :D

i am not at all overwhelmed by the possibilities of this unit. I have a strong background in music technology. I have a degree in music composition. Concentrated in modern jazz. And have been programming synths as well as very complicated guitar tones. I feel right at home with the axe edit i must say, just need to go thru the wiki and figure out a few of the knobs.

honestly, im not so interested in just the best bluesly overdriven natural guitary sound. I can do that and its cool, but I like an unnatural tone to be the norm. This axe fx will be a great way to build new exciting effects ive never heard before.

btw has anyone made a setting for a moogerfooger murf? i just made a setting thats pretty close to my moogerfooger ring mod with a slow lfo and a carrier osc around 1k

I've been away from the boards the last couple of weeks and just caught this thread. I wanted to make two comments.

As mentioned previously, don't sweat trying to keep the factory banks and presets. I know you said you wanted to keep them for reference but there is no need with Fractal Bot and Axe Edit. Not to mention Axe Manage when it shows up. It's so quick and painless to pull up a preset or bank from a back up if you want to explore. I use one bank for my patches and experiments. I've grabbed my favorite factory presets that demo the amps and put in another bank. Then the last bank is the effect presets that I like. Believe us, you're not going to loose/miss anything since it's just a few clicks away.

Also, may want to check out this vid and other posts/patches by Simeon.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/78249-internal-controllers-overview-video.html

I want to keep most of the presets as I continue to learn this beast

The import preset feature of AE allows you to load in one preset at a time from the factory bank preset files.

This is a cool way of auditioning all the factory presets without worrying about overwriting them.

I do a workflow where I import the preset, if I like it, I export it to a "favorites" folder on my computer.

Then I go back and save off the blocks like reverb etc. in the block library. The block library lets you save off components of a preset for reuse later. Pretty soon you have some reverb, delay, etc. blocks saved off and you can drop them into your own presets.

The topics name is wayyyy too misleading. Your AFXII is fine and i guess, that you don't care to read the manual or visit the Axe FX Wiki page to learn your new gear. I encourage you to do that.

The topics name is wayyyy too misleading. Your AFXII is fine and i guess, that you don't care to read the manual or visit the Axe FX Wiki page to learn your new gear. I encourage you to do that.

yea, i wish i could edit the title. I am reading the instruction manual and have the wiki currently set as my homepage. I was messing around with scenes and kinda wish you could change the signal path, not just turn off the pedals. It will be hard for me to stay in one preset for a whole song :(

Soooooo many possibilities. I use AxeEdit and copy each effect I like from ANY preset, and it is saved to be copied into any preset I choose. As in saved as long as I have that laptop. Why redo all the effects presets?!?! Or maybe too much editing has happened to this thread already, and I missed the point?

Either way, you can have a nice collection of any effect made or tweaked out there, and place them as needed into your presets. You can use external pedals to change effect params like time or depth etc.. which makes having multiples of those types less necessary. Rotosphere and Flanging come to mind.

Anyway, good luck ... you seem to have learned a lot pretty quickly.

yea, i wish i could edit the title. I am reading the instruction manual and have the wiki currently set as my homepage. I was messing around with scenes and kinda wish you could change the signal path, not just turn off the pedals. It will be hard for me to stay in one preset for a whole song :(

I wish you could too, it's just plain inflammatory. But I get it, you wanted this expensive dream machine, and now you have it and it's not doing what you want.

I'm sure others have mentioned, but don't worry about the factory presets. In Axe-Edit, you can open presets from the Bank .syx files using the Import button. The presets can be downloaded from the Fractal Audio site. I mean with a computer hooked up, you pretty much have an infinite amount of presets so I really don't know why anyone could complain. The problem now becomes files management, so learn how to be good at that. Take lots of snapshots in Axe-Edit, these files are so tiny. Anyway, bypassing the amp block is easy with either Axe-Edit (double click on block) or the front panel (Bypass button).

The Axe is awesome and can do pretty much everything so take your time and enjoy it. If you find yourself down a rabbit hole and can't get out then post here and someone will point you in a direction, who knows if it's the right direction for you? Endless possibilities gives you this problem. What a good problem to have :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom