Just bought some EV PXM - 12MP’s

Has anyone compared the PMX-12MP with the ZLX-12BT?
They're apples and oranges. The PXM is a floor monitor with a coaxial speaker designed for maximum dispersion. The ZLX is a FOH speaker using separate woofer and tweeter for maximum throw. Using the ZLX on stage for a modeler would be fine if you're standing in front of it and a distance away from it whereas the PXM is designed to sit on the floor at your feet or within several feet of you and allows you to move around it while still being able to hear it clearly.

The DSP on the two are different too. The ZLX has some modes that look like they're flat enough for use with a modeler. The PXM has its Monitor 2 setting which is my preferred setting because it's flat.

I haven't heard them side by side in the same room but I expect they'd sound about the same if used and listened to as EV intends.

Last edited:
I own both a PMX-12MP as well as a ZLX-12P which seems to be similar enough to the BT, minus the Bluetooth compatibility. The PMX is brighter and clearer while the ZLX projects a broader bass frequency. The PMX tends brighter than both my stereo monitors as well as my headphones (Beyerdynamic DT 880) so I have to be careful when dialing in presets, though it also tends to be brighter than our FOH speakers, so I have to play the balancing game because I run other monitor mixes through the PMX, so I don't want to darken those other feeds unnecessarily.

Overall the PMX is a better speaker - it is more focused, handles volume better, is intended for floor use specifically, and it built much better. The ZLX is a great entry level speaker and a solid main for small band situations, and while the Fractal units sound great through it, it lacks the clarity and the punch of the PMX. I definitely recommend the PMX, as many others here do as well.

Last edited:
Both speakers are full-range powered speakers designed for both floor monitor and smaller-venue FOH use. They have similar (but not identical) volume and dispersion (the ZLX is 90° x 60°; the PXM is 90° x 90°).

The ZLX is an entry-level speaker and is priced accordingly. The PXM is three times as expensive. In the world of pro and semi-pro audio, that almost always equates to a noticeable difference in sound quality. That said, I’ve used the ZLX extensively in wedge, fill and FOH applications, and I find them to be quite good. I’d use them live without shame, though I prefer my CLR or Xitone wedges. I have no direct experience with the PXM, so I can’t comment further on them.

I own both a PMX-12MP as well as a ZLX-12P which seems to be similar enough to the BT, minus the Bluetooth compatibility. The PMX is brighter and clearer while the ZLX projects a broader bass frequency. The PMX tends brighter than both my stereo monitors as well as my headphones (Beyerdynamic DT 880) so I have to be careful when dialing in presets, though it also tends to be brighter than our FOH speakers, so I have to play the balancing game because I run other monitor mixes through the PMX, so I don't want to darken those other feeds unnecessarily.

Overall the PMX is a better speaker - it is more focused, handles volume better, is intended for floor use specifically, and it built much better. The ZLX is a great entry level speaker and a solid main for small band situations, and while the Fractal units sound great through it, it lacks the clarity and the punch of the PMX. I definitely recommend the PMX, as many others here do as well.
Thanks for the response, that pretty much tracks with my expectations.

They're apples and oranges. The PXM is a floor monitor with a coaxial speaker designed for maximum dispersion. The ZLX is a FOH speaker using separate woofer and tweeter for maximum throw. Using the ZLX on stage for a modeler would be fine if you're standing in front of it and a distance away from it whereas the PXM is designed to sit on the floor at your feet or within several feet of you and allows you to move around it while still being able to hear it clearly.

The DSP on the two are different too. The ZLX has some modes that look like they're flat enough for use with a modeler. The PXM has its Monitor 2 setting which is my preferred setting because it's flat.

I haven't heard them side by side in the same room but I expect they'd sound about the same if used and listened to as EV intends.
I already own the ZLXs and I plan to buy a pair of PXMs within the next month or two so I will definitely compare them and post back here if no one else does by then. I'll compare them side by side and I'll try all four together in different placements. Of course the PXMs will be closer to me than the ZLXs.

EDIT: I just noticed @Cam Heiliger already posted a comparison above so no need for me to post another.

Last edited:
One thing I’ve noticed, is that these things are like buying a Mesa…there’s no price breaks, and it seems like the price has gone up.

One thing I’ve noticed, is that these things are like buying a Mesa…there’s no price breaks, and it seems like the price has gone up.
If you were to read the whole thread, I think you'd find more than a few posts indicating places folks have gotten a discount... But it's a lot to sift through.

I'm pretty sure at least Sweetwater was mentioned.

Compared to a clr neo, does the EV Pxm have more punch? Or do they sound/feel fairly similar overall?
The EV has more punch and wider sound dispersion , the CLR is a bit more focused and more detail in that mids its a bit more hi fi
Where as the EV is still an FRFR but also has a bit of that classic cab punch more akin to a Freidman or Redsound IMO

If you were to read the whole thread, I think you'd find more than a few posts indicating places folks have gotten a discount... But it's a lot to sift through.

I'm pretty sure at least Sweetwater was mentioned.
I have read the whole thread. I remember $1600 for a pair (which is lower than I'm seeing), someone else mentioning "new at substantial discount", and "a couple hundred knocked off for open box...I don't remember anyone saying where they got theirs. Sweetwater (and every where else I've looked (and it's quite a few) is at $949 new.

I'd be happy to see them lower somewhere...but I haven't found it.

I have read the whole thread. I remember $1600 for a pair (which is lower than I'm seeing), someone else mentioning "new at substantial discount", and "a couple hundred knocked off for open box...I don't remember anyone saying where they got theirs. Sweetwater (and every where else I've looked (and it's quite a few) is at $949 new.

Try Manchester Music Mill.

That's where I got mine, $825 each, no tax because NH, no shipping because I drove up and got them in person.

At least one person in this thread did better than that. EDIT: Or maybe another similar thread, sorry.

No idea of either of those deals is still available, or what shipping or tax would be going elsewhere.

Last edited:

My bad, I think I was thinking of this thread:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/electro-voice-pxm-12mp-report.167310/page-30#post-2413132

Also, I wasn't being snarky so hope you didn't take it that way. The other thread (which I thought was this one) is pretty long.

I bought a pair from Guitar Center using a 15% off coupon. This was back in 2020 when list price on them was only $749.

Try Manchester Music Mill.

That's where I got mine, $825 each, no tax because NH, no shipping because I drove up and got them in person.

At least one person in this thread did better than that. EDIT: Or maybe another similar thread, sorry.

No idea of either of those deals is still available, or what shipping or tax would be going elsewhere.
They are showing the same 949 price.

Back
Top Bottom