Just about to give up with my CLR

MikeAllenPugh

Inspired
Hi,

Before I admit defeat with the Atomic CLR as a backline piece of kit, I thought I'd ask you all if you've got a solution to a problem. I've tried IR upon IR (I've got goodness knows how many from Cab Packs over the years) and nothing seems to do the job. My common problem is not being heard. Usual Fletcher-Munson issues - volume goes up - top end is too trebley, bass comes up and if you cut it then you just end up with treble, mids.....just end up being too spikey and it's not pleasant. Amps a quite simple - Shiva Clean, Friedman BE and HBE. I've got a 5-band GEQ at the end of the chain to just to boost the 2,3 and 4 frequencies. Certainly helps at an 'at home' level. However, in a band situation with somebody with a Strat and Fender Twin then I just....well....sound terrible to be honest at higher volumes.

Does anybody have a simple IR\patch that may work in my particular situation. I know you cannot get that traditional cab thump from a CLR, so not even trying to get to that.

I also play around with Global EQ too, but you just end up with nothing really nice in the middle. Always harsh no matter what you do (tried decreasing treble too).

Any help\suggestions appreciated before I spend another month twiddling for no reason!

Mike

I don't think that your issue has anything to do with your IRs.. Perhaps it has more to do with your EQ settings or the amount of gain you are using in your patch. The majority of the time, when someone cannot be heard through a mix, it is usually due to too much gain for improper use of EQ. I think instead of somebody supplying you with a patch, it might be beneficial for you to attach the patch that you're using. Also, give her a rundown of what guitar you're using type of pick ups etc.

Not sure what kind of settings you are running, but following the advice from another forum member I have my Axe Ouput set permanently between 11-12 o'clock with the CLR input level permanently at around 2 o'clock. For home practice I run the CLR master volume no higher than 9 o'clock (in conjunction with volume pedal) and for gigs it never seems to have to go beyond 12 o'clock.

I do know what you mean about sounding either too harsh or too boomy, but give those settings a go, as I definitely never have an issue cutting through on the mix. Also, I find many of the stock presets way too bassy, and so use low-cut in cab block at anywhere between 90 - 120.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Have you tried any of the clark kent alloys?
I run a bright and fat in stereo and am happy as a clam.
Could be that frfr just isnt your thing and you may be happier with poweramp and conventional speaker cab.

Just to be sure, you did flick the little mode switch on the back of the CLR to the appropriate mode and gain-stage per methodology such as described by Chris@katsukurimedia and others have described? This is essential to success with CLRs and the Axe-FX II series.

Are you playing with just one CLR or two in stereo? I have noticed that with any setup I've used, including regular guitar cabs, two of the cabs sounds way better than running just one in mono.

Dial in your tones a band/stage levels, not at bedroom levels. Best results are if you can do it with your band, not alone... this applies to real amps too.

Use the looper block and tweak from a distance, hands free, makes this easier and efficient.

If you can, convince your band to jam on a loop while you dial it in.

Are you playing with just one CLR or two in stereo? I have noticed that with any setup I've used, including regular guitar cabs, two of the cabs sounds way better than running just one in mono.

True...this is what I found when running only one 1x12 CLR so I opted for a 2x12 frfr cab. (I didn't want to pay for two 1x12 CLR cabs.)

Somethings not right. Im running 2 CLR's and they are louder than hell in a can when I want them to be. But, they won't ever sound *exactly* like a Fender Twin (you picked one hell of a loud amp cranked to compare with btw). If that is the sound in your head, then you won't be happy until you get one of those. I know- Hello, My name is spikey and Im a Music gear addict.. :frog:

Hi, I agree with you, can you tell me which 2x12 stereo FRFR cab you choose ?
Tnx in advance ;)

UPS is scheduled to deliver my Matrix FR212 tomorrow so I will be tearing into it soon. I used the Matrix NL212 for a couple years and really enjoyed it, it has that natural cab tone and works well with a GT1000 amp and the Axe FX, but now I am enjoying the cab ir's. The quality of the Fractal firmware updates and the improving technology which studios are now using on cab ir's is really cool stuff so I'm enjoying using the Axe FX in all it's digital glory; I just wish I was better at mixing all the speakers and mic combinations in Cab Lab. I'm still learning..

U could try presets from fremen's blog site, some setups & EQs that I've heard nowhere else, including a couple that cut through exceptionally well if memory serves me correctly...

Last edited:
UPS is scheduled to deliver my Matrix FR212 tomorrow so I will be tearing into it soon. I used the Matrix NL212 for a couple years and really enjoyed it, it has that natural cab tone and works well with a GT1000 amp and the Axe FX, but now I am enjoying the cab ir's. The quality of the Fractal firmware updates and the improving technology which studios are now using on cab ir's is really cool stuff so I'm enjoying using the Axe FX in all it's digital glory; I just wish I was better at mixing all the speakers and mic combinations in Cab Lab. I'm still learning..

I'd be curious to hear how you like it. I had one NL12 for awhile and sounded pretty cool but wanted a stereo setup.

Low cut at 100hz
Hi cut at 6-7k in the cab block?

Also. Have you heard a traditional guitar cab miced and thrown into s monitor wedge? Generally midrangey and spikey

Doesn't sound like he's necessarily trying to duplicate "miced into a monitor wedge". He's just using IRs, which should sound, feel and behave like a traditional cab.

I'm running into similar problems but with different amp models (5150 III and Mesa Mark V). I'll be comparing against actual amp and cabs tonight to see how to fix it.

My common problem is not being heard. Usual Fletcher-Munson issues - volume goes up - top end is too trebley, bass comes up...
Fletcher-Munson will get you whether you're using a CLR or anything else.

...and if you cut it then you just end up with treble, mids.....just end up being too spikey and it's not pleasant.
There's a middle ground between "can't be heard" and "mids too spikey." That's where you want to be.

Does anybody have a simple IR\patch that may work in my particular situation.
Without knowing what your situation is (band, volume, guitar, etc.), there's no way to give you a "this will work" formula.

Try this: put a filter block after your cab block. Set it to "peaking," with the frequency around 800 Hz and the Q around 0.7. Set gain to 4 dB. See if that doesn't instantly make you more hearable. :)

Thanks all for your valuable input. Very much appreciated.

Just blew an audition "Perfect playing, Perfect sound....you're sound was clinical". So time go back to (a) normal cabs with a Matrix or (b) back to my trusty valve amps (with maybe an FX-8 in the loop). You maybe seeing an active CLR wedge, Axe-FX MK II and MFC-101 for sale in the UK ready to fund it.

Back
Top Bottom