Jumping 48 public firmware updates!

hillbilly

Inspired
I've been blessed/cursed with being too busy to update my Axe-Fx for quite some time and I'm about to jump from v13.07 to Quantum 3.03! (Yeah, I know.) I've got 10 days to recreate 85 live presets and a handful of generic presets for studio.

I've got backups galore and I'm assuming I should write down my system settings (Global, I/O, MIDI) to manually config after the update. Unless anyone knows of an easier method?

Also, are there any system settings I need to review after such a drastic upheaval, before I begin re-programming? I know I'll be at ground zero with my presets, but I want to make sure any global modeling, level, etc settings are good before I get started.

wow you have a lot of release note reading to do. a usb return level added to the I/O menu ( around firm ware 18 maybe)is something that stumped many in updating. I would assume you will want to reset all of your blocks to default and start fresh.

You should - perhaps even double - save all your presets to the computer. If anything goes wrong you still have the way back with reinstalling the old firmware, loading the presets and you're back in business...

I've been blessed/cursed with being too busy to update my Axe-Fx for quite some time and I'm about to jump from v13.07 to Quantum 3.03! (Yeah, I know.) I've got 10 days to recreate 85 live presets and a handful of generic presets for studio.

I've got backups galore and I'm assuming I should write down my system settings (Global, I/O, MIDI) to manually config after the update. Unless anyone knows of an easier method?

Also, are there any system settings I need to review after such a drastic upheaval, before I begin re-programming? I know I'll be at ground zero with my presets, but I want to make sure any global modeling, level, etc settings are good before I get started.
Why would you do that?

I'm beginning to think y'all are correct - 10 days just isn't enough time. Unfortunately, 'enough time' only occurs about once a year and life seems to get in the way. Maybe I'll try doing what I can with Quantum, downgrading for shows, upgrading again for more tweakage, downgrading again, etc. (Sounds like a perfect storm for corrupt backup files.)

I wish there was a utility to query and print global system parameters for this sort of occasion. AlGrenadine, where are you? ;-)

Thanks for responding, guys.

While I agree that you should back up your presets, you might also consider just rebuilding them from scratch. I started with FW13 when I received my AxeFX, and steadily updated with each new release. When we got to Quantum 1, I decided to completely rebuild my patches (about 70 at that time). It took a few days to get them in place, but it also forced me to use a different approach, and to explore some new amp / cab models. Some of the amps and effects were significantly retooled, and I really enjoy the new tones in my rebuilt patches.

If you have 10 days, and can use *all* of that time to work on your presets, the time-frame is adequate IMO.

As soon as you have breakfast, start working until bed time with frequent 10 minute breaks along with breaks for lunch and dinner. Create a schedule. If you work 12 hours a day, you will have about one and a half hours for each preset. This should be enough time to at least get you close to what you want.

The important thing is to keep to the schedule, as it is easy to fall behind if you spend too long on one preset.

I have no experience with any difficulties upgrading the AxeFx, works flawlessly every time, a mere matter of minutes, everything is properly backed up so it just works. Never had any troubles getting the sound I want, yes tweaks are sometimes needed but why would you wait so long to update, Cliff is working hard for all of us everyday and he always seems to have something good for us with each update.

...why would you wait so long to update, Cliff is working hard for all of us everyday and he always seems to have something good for us with each update.
I know, the flow of improvements has been spectacular. My gig requires a pretty eclectic array of sounds for each of the five guitars I have to carry and I spend about half the year on the road, so family time is precious when I'm home. Plus, once I fell behind by 2 or 3 major upgrades there was the concern over not having the time to get a gig-worthy rig back together before heading back out. And I am slow because I usually end up having too much fun playing as I tweak! I'm liking the idea of a second Axe-Fx II for work while I toil away on #1 at home, tho.

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 6.11.05 PM.png You are correct family time is irreplaceable and continued good fortune in you career, music is seldom over generous when it comes to remuneration for efforts made. How would you like lots of knobs to tweak?Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 6.11.05 PM.png

Last edited:
I would personally wait. But you could also upgrade, see if it sounds good, and revert.

Axe-Fx is the only app/device I get excited when I see an update, because it's usually new features/amps I actually want.

Back
Top Bottom