John petrucci straight in P.A.

Hello,

I recently went to a dream theater concert here in Italy.Amazing show.
I've noticed two things: the cabs behind John were fake, not mic'ed. So he is going straight to P.A.. His tone also comes out from his metal footstands which are MESA custom monitors - to obtain feedback, he had to knee down and put the guitar towards the speakers, a bit awkward. They played As I Am, and the final feedback was in playback :lol

Now: isn't he using triaxis as his main preamp these days? But he also got an Axe-Fx...He says he uses it just for effects, but, given he is going straight to P.A., maybe the Triaxis is there just for show (and brand) and he is using the Axe, at least for the Cab Block.....I wonder if he is using the Clark Kent Cab pack for Mesa Traditional 4x12 :lol:lol

Interesting, we all praised the 4x12 stuff for "heavy sounds" (and he too) till recently, and he gets back to smaller cabs for more punch and clarity.

Maddi has Cab Pack 7 but I have no idea if John ever tried it. Petrucci has always had empty cabs for show and real cabs mic'ed backstage.

I'm huge fan of Petrucci and he is like Jesus to me but I don't get that 1x12 thing he's doing nowadays unless it's just better for touring purposes. Those clips he posts with them are IMO not as good as the 4x12 clips we're used to hearing from him.

Maddi has Cab Pack 7 but I have no idea if John ever tried it. Petrucci has always had empty cabs for show and real cabs mic'ed backstage.

I'm huge fan of Petrucci and he is like Jesus to me but I don't get that 1x12 thing he's doing nowadays unless it's just better for touring purposes.

I dont know I had seen him last year when he started with the 1x12's and before I found out he was using them, I though he was cutting through the mix way better. I found at that show, JP and JM were not stepping on each other so much, (sonic wise that is).
Of coarse there could have been allot of other factors room, pa, sound guy, blah blah blah.
Bottom line, great sounding show. And I have seen a shit load of DT shows! Ha ha
So although I am also a 4x12 guy most of the time, the end results at that show were fantastic.

BTW Loving your work with the IR's !!!!!!!!!!

John

Last edited:
The wall of cabs had been fake for a long time. He usually has their cabs miced backstage.

He uses 2 1x12 cabs miced with an SM57 and a KSM313 each that goes to FOH and to the IEMs, at least for the "Along The Ride Tour".
The Mesa 1x12 cabs are just for feedback and to "feel" the guitar when he footrest when soloing because he use IEMs.

I don't know if he went to the IR route, but I guess he's still using his mics.

Lower stage volume is always a better idea. Especially now that every band has front fills. If Petrucci had stacks of 4x12's on stage, the front fill Db would have to be 105db + likely. Since his audience isn't getting any younger...��, consider it a favor for your hearing.

He had, in the TOT tour, wahahah, i was near stage and my hair changed colour after 2 hours of concert (it was the old format, "an evening with", two 1:15 halves with a 30 minutes break)

He had, in the TOT tour, wahahah, i was near stage and my hair changed colour after 2 hours of concert (it was the old format, "an evening with", two 1:15 halves with a 30 minutes break)

Same here on the sdoit tour :D

I'm not criticizing periphery nor the axefx, but in milan petrucci's sound was so much bigger on bridge in the sky intro by himself than on the entire periph set XD

I sometimes wish he was using the axe alone, but I think he should better lie about his setup than saying he is running digital to PA, part of his musician fans could talk bad about it. Not us obviously

So many guitarists use a 1x12 Isolation cabinet - a "soundproof" cabinet with a 12-inch speaker in it and a Mic then going through the PA. As much as getting the authentic amp-in-the-room sounds it helps the mixing tech get an isolated guitar sound to work with, without contamination/crosstalk from all the other instruments getting into the guitar channel mic. It's all about sonic preference. This forum is populated by aficionados and purists who know the difference. The average Joe or Jane listening can't tell if its an Axe-Fx with a line out or an isolation cab with a mic by the time the sound comes out of the FOH system. Preferences and tastes change over time. JP is no exception so his rig is ever-changing as he experiments.

I think Yngwie Malmsteen is one of those players who still using full loaded cabinets and amps in the stage ,not dummy loaded cabinets or amplifiers like lots players did use past and still using. All those extra cabinets and amplifiers are more like a show things ,but i must say that kind of wall of Marshall looks amazing thought.

Yeah, but a wall of fake cabs takes up far more space than a single real 4x12 that actually drives sound would. But if he's getting good sound from the 1x12s, more power to him. Just can't see the cost argument when he's carrying around multiple cabs for show.

Not about space. Cartage is about weight.
(Plus see the disassemble thing mentioned above.)

Back
Top Bottom