John Mayer got a new amp yo

Neat. I'd love to try one. I find his tones particularly well-tuned and wonderful. That PRS signature guitar of his is high on my lust list. Wish they'd do a normal production run of them so they're not 5-figure guitars.

I wrote my "neat" comment during the clean section of the demo. I'll be honest: when he kicked the overdrive I thought it sounded like turd too. But who knows how it was mic'ed, right?

I thought the overdrive sounded pretty good for the way it was demoed. He really didn't futz with the tone stack at all. The base tone was very "pushed plexi."

Interesting that it's a single channel and no reverb too.

I would say the limited production run justifies the price tag but maybe the overall amp tone and performance do not justify that price?

I personally would never buy someones amp. I like getting an amp, or making one, (Thanks Cliff)that could be,
MY amp. But to each his own. Those will fetch a lot of cash for a collector, in 20 years, I'm sure. If it is limited anyway.
We could have made that amp cry for mercy, with the highest gain settings and see what it really can do, lol. I need a day job I know, lol. Just having fun here as usual.

His idea of a Marshall stack is broken, lol. I'm sorry I just can't help thinking he is reading from a tele prompter, lol.

I thought the gain was pretty ill defined and flabby... it didn't sing. And I agree - a lot of JM wannabes are going to be very upset with the high gain sound.

Not to pick nits, but there was a time that a 'pushed' Plexi was about as high gain as you could get (showing my age here)...

Sounds like he had to communicate to Paul with abstract words to convey his adjustment requests.

IMO it would be easier to use the Fractal to dial in the tone you want, then have the amp builder match that....Or just use the Fractal and have consistent everything night after night.

I really don't think every New Thing™ needs to be compared to the past as if the amps of old were some Holy Grail and sacred cow rolled into one. They weren't. Iconic, yes, but they've been romanticized to heaven and back.

In John Mayer's ears, this amp betters the tone he wanted from the amps he has used in the past. So I'm more than a little bit reticent about discounting the work of two men whose credibility and talent far exceed anyone (note: just a speculation) in this thread. ;)

IOW, I'm pretty confident this is an absolutely stellar amp. It's not my style, and definitely not in my budget, but still...

Sounds Like ASS, for 6k worth of amp. Meh He is a great player, which is half the battle.
There will be a lot of dudes upset they do not sound killer after spending 6 grand, lol.

Have to agree with this assessment, and I'm a JM fan.

I'm curious if there's anything special inside, circuit or build wise. I'm guessing buyers will be paying 1 or 2k for the amp and 4 or 5k for JM's sig.

Who knows how this amp would fair (for me) actually sitting down with it, but that demo left very little to be desired for me. And I'm not a JM hater..
And hell to the nah on $6K.. not even close..

Back
Top Bottom