John Frusciante - Blood Sugar Sex Magik sound resource

Just got my FM9 T MKII and I'm diving in to attempt some John Frusciante patches from Blood Sugar Sex Magik, starting with Under the Bridge. Thought I'd drop off this amazing video that goes into great detail on the gear and recording of the album, enjoy and feel free to drop any tips my way.

That reminds me, what blocks are best for attempting a DI to mixing board sound, particularly an overdriven one?

The Alternative Sound: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik Production & Equipment Analysis

For the straight to desk sound experiment with the preamp types in the cab.

Choose the Flat IR and adjust drive and saturation to your liking. If you need more break up use a clean boost before and run the signal hot into the cab block.

For the straight to desk sound experiment with the preamp types in the cab.

Choose the Flat IR and adjust drive and saturation to your liking. If you need more break up use a clean boost before and run the signal hot into the cab block.

Thanks for the DI tips, it's my understanding that many of the solos and overdubs on BSSM were recorded DI.

Great info!

OT: Not so much for tones and tech details, more for the human side, Rick Rubin's series of podcast episodes with each of the Chili Peppers is great.
You're welcome! I love what little I've heard of Rick Rubin's podcast, a modern day philosopher! I need to listen to more episodes, especially the ones with John.

You're welcome! I love what little I've heard of Rick Rubin's podcast, a modern day philosopher! I need to listen to more episodes, especially the ones with John.
Lots of parts of the whole Broken Record podcast are really great, not just the ones Rick is in.

Rick is kind of amazing, a force of nature. Open secret, I'd love to work with him some day :)

Back
Top Bottom