John Cordy: Is the FM3 under powered?

I've always been a fan of John Cordy's videos. He's a really good player and he carries so few biases compared to others. Very thoughtful too. He does run into some repetition in his videos as he has been putting out multiple videos per day lately, but that's fine.

It's also neat to see him work right on the unit. That's how I learned the interface of the Axe 3, by watching YT videos of people using it.

Interesting how things are labeled “clickbait.” Does that really apply here? I’m genuinely curious. The title is framed as a question. That implies some thoughtful discussion will follow, possibly with a conclusion at the end.

It’s not leaning towards an extreme or making a controversial statement. Wouldn’t something like, “Why your FM3 is Underpowered” or “DSP issues with the FM3” be much more clickbait-y?

Regardless, as @Admin M@ said, he plays well and discusses things thoughtfully. He’s also a really cool guy and seems genuinely humble. I’m a bit biased though because I consider him a friend.

I will say that he’s definitely a little biased towards the Helix stuff—he’ll admit that he’s a “helix defender.” With that said he also does a good job of giving fair opinions.

Interesting how things are labeled “clickbait.” Does that really apply here? I’m genuinely curious. The title is framed as a question. That implies some thoughtful discussion will follow, possibly with a conclusion at the end.

It’s not leaning towards an extreme or making a controversial statement. Wouldn’t something like, “Why your FM3 is Underpowered” or “DSP issues with the FM3” be much more clickbait-y?

Regardless, as @Admin M@ said, he plays well and discusses things thoughtfully. He’s also a really cool guy and seems genuinely humble. I’m a bit biased though because I consider him a friend.

I will say that he’s definitely a little biased towards the Helix stuff—he’ll admit that he’s a “helix defender.” With that said he also does a good job of giving fair opinions.

I thought it was more of a cliffhanger than clickbait. It made no statement, only asked a question.

Betteridge's law of headlines mentioned in this thread pretty much always means that the answer to the question posed in the headline is "no" as usually they are trying to make a controversial statement. It's without a doubt clickbait to entice people to talk about it and watch the video. He makes YouTube videos and possibly some money from them. This is YouTuber basics stuff. He could have stated "FM3 can cram in a lot of stuff in a single preset" and had the same video but that's not going to get as much discussion and views.

I am more offended by how bad his videos look even if the content is generally good. Buy some cheap lights!

As for the FM3, the only areas where I find it's a bit underpowered is not having a second reverb and cab block to use, even with much reduced quality, using a single IR per cab block etc. Reverb is quite DSP consuming but I could see it being possible to use two of them in a preset that doesn't have all that much else. Same for the cab block. But I get that these are kind of little things that are differentiators vs the more expensive Axe-Fx 3.

The channels feature really does a lot for the FM3 and without it I think it would not be very popular.

Betteridge's law of headlines mentioned in this thread pretty much always means that the answer to the question posed in the headline is "no" as usually they are trying to make a controversial statement. It's without a doubt clickbait to entice people to talk about it and watch the video. He makes YouTube videos and possibly some money from them. This is YouTuber basics stuff. He could have stated "FM3 can cram in a lot of stuff in a single preset" and had the same video but that's not going to get as much discussion and views.

I am more offended by how bad his videos look even if the content is generally good. Buy some cheap lights!

As for the FM3, the only areas where I find it's a bit underpowered is not having a second reverb and cab block to use, even with much reduced quality, using a single IR per cab block etc. Reverb is quite DSP consuming but I could see it being possible to use two of them in a preset that doesn't have all that much else. Same for the cab block. But I get that these are kind of little things that are differentiators vs the more expensive Axe-Fx 3.

The channels feature really does a lot for the FM3 and without it I think it would not be very popular.
The studies in that wiki link actually indicate that articles with a question mark in the title are more likely to have “yes” as the answer.

And answering the question, “is this article clickbait” with a reference to Betteridge’ Law seems like a poor way to start out. Clearly it makes more sense to start out by defining clickbait.

From Wiki’s page on clickbait, here are a few defining characteristics:
  • Misleading
  • Deceptive
  • Sensationalized
  • Has an element of dishonesty
  • Uses enticements that do not accurately reflect the content
  • “The term can also be misused when viewers complain about an enticing thumbnail or title, as with a sexually provocative image. But if the image or title accurately reflects the content delivered upon click-through, then this is an example of simple enticement. Without the element of deception, it does not qualify as clickbait.”
  • A defining characteristic of clickbait is misrepresentation in the enticement presented to the user to manipulate them to click onto a link.
A couple other definitions referenced in the wiki:
“While there is no universally agreed-upon definition of clickbait, Merriam-Webster defines clickbait as "something designed to make readers want to click on a hyperlink, especially when the link leads to content of dubious value or interest."[7] Dictionary.com states that clickbait is "a sensationalized headline or piece of text on the Internet designed to entice people to follow a link to an article on another web page."”

I think some people just like to call any enticing title clickbait these days. But clickbait has a negative connotation and not any headline/title that’s enticing is worthy of such negativity IMO.

On this title specifically, he posits a question based on a commonly mentioned complaint/fear about the FM3 (DSP/CPU limitations), implying that the video will seek to answer the question. In the video he loads up a bunch of stuff in a preset giving a pretty decent example. My takeaway is that he doesn’t think it’s underpowered in general, but that you can hit the CPU cap and that some users might find that underpowered for their needs. I see absolutely no elements of deception or misrepresentation.

Is it an enticing title? Yes.
Is it provocative? Ehhh...maybe.
Is it clickbait. Absolutely not.

Your absolutely right about the lighting and he needs to mic his audio when he speaks he sounds muffeled. It's not a big ask if he's trying to make money off his videos.

Back
Top Bottom