Joey Sturgis IR pack

Gotta agree, I kind of liked "other" better :(

That being said, the JTW IR is less fatiguing at high volume for more than 2 min of listening :)

I much prefer the 'competitor' IR but that's me (a guitarist) talking. This could be a great tool for producers, if they like that sound though :)

Thread subject aside - I just listened to your Sound Cloud signature mp3 clip.

Awesome Toolfanem - just awesome. Do you play out in NJ or NYC?

According to Wikipedia, Sturgis was born in 1985, which would make him about 28 years old, so yeah 20 yrs. experience is pushing it.

To his credit though, he is an accomplished producer with a huge production discography, including some fairly well-known bands. Quite well known in the world of "metalcore".

He was talking about combined experience. He has 10 years, I have 10 years, together we have 20 years of experience.

There will never be a try before buy pack of impulses because if you're able to try it, then you have it.

The "other" clip in the video sounds worse because its low end is uncontrolled (woofy boomy) and the 4k nastiness is very present and gritty. Sorta like throwing a mic on the speaker and just saying, ok that's our guitar tone for this album, no more mixing required. It just sounds unpolished. The mid range - low mid range is different in our clip because we mic matched. We probably should have sound matched but then people might have complained we didn't compare mic <-> mic between the impulses.

I made some more comparison clips for people who still have doubts, but I don't think they're gonna change anyone's minds if you've already made your opinion.

Index of /tones/jtw

Check out flavor2 vs competitor impulse.

Thanks for watching the video!

Hmm, how do you dial out that mid range honk.

Sometimes I'll find a really nice IR that cuts through the mix, etc., but has just a bit too much of that annoying honk factor.

I haven't really messed with the axe fx and recording as much. Previously, I would just add an eq to the track and cut all the lows and bump some mids.

Well don't take Sneap forum's word for it. I don't think those guys ever love anything... it's more about hating more and more stuff, hence the genre they chose. :D Nah... they're bros.

I must agree that I preferred the "competitor" but I think it's honest to show the product like this.

I also prefer the 'competitors' IR in the comparison (listening on laptop speakers at low volume though). However I took a gamble on the pack and bought it. I'm really impressed so far, it might be considered blasphemy around these parts to say this but I actually find them more useable than the OwnHammer Mesa pack!!

Well don't take Sneap forum's word for it. I don't think those guys ever love anything... it's more about hating more and more stuff, hence the genre they chose.

Well, they seem to like the Kemper just fine. :eek: Actually, I find I can get more objective opinions on the Sneap forum than around here. Nothing against FAS, but the amount of fanboy-ism on this forum drives me nuts.

In listening to the clips Joey posted, I prefer Joey's and can see how they'd work better in a recorded mix. Not sure if the video just doesn't represent well or what. I may grab these IRs. I'm sure Joey knows what he's doing. He's gotten some insanely good tones on many of the albums he's produced.

There will never be a try before buy pack of impulses because if you're able to try it, then you have it.
Ok, so what about a satisfaction warranty ? Many of us are bored of buying useless IRs... If an IR seller is sure of his product why not refund unsatisfied customers ? ;)
G66 and fractal are doing it ;)

Thread subject aside - I just listened to your Sound Cloud signature mp3 clip.

Awesome Toolfanem - just awesome. Do you play out in NJ or NYC?

Hey thanks! No shows unfortunately, I dont have a band to actually play the stuff out. Maybe someday, but for now I'm just writing for the fun of it :) The album that this song is on is free on my bandcamp page too if your interested.
https://celestialflesh.bandcamp.com/

In regard to the comparison clips, I think a lot of peoples initial reaction, including my own, is to prefer the competitor example because its got more of the high end sizzle that really cuts through the mix. That doesn't make it better in the long run though, since that same sizzle can rip your ears apart at high volumes for long periods of time, especially if the mix is heavily compressed.

Ok, so what about a satisfaction warranty ? Many of us are bored of buying useless IRs... If an IR seller is sure of his product why not refund unsatisfied customers ? ;)
G66 and fractal are doing it ;)

That business model (refunds on digital goods) doesn't work, once you have the files on your computer we can't take them back. No one is totally honest behind a computer screen. Anyone could say they don't like it and just keep the files and use them.

Last edited:
Maybe some kind of automated re-amping that let's you before buying submit a short DI track and get back a sample .wav or .flac file with a high res print of the submitted file but using a candidate IR?

Maybe some kind of automated re-amping that let's you before buying submit a short DI track and get back a sample .wav or .flac file with a high res print of the submitted file but using a candidate IR?

Yeah and people will tone match that. I think it's wise to have those drums on top in all clips. ;)

Well, they seem to like the Kemper just fine. :eek: Actually, I find I can get more objective opinions on the Sneap forum than around here. Nothing against FAS, but the amount of fanboy-ism on this forum drives me nuts.

In listening to the clips Joey posted, I prefer Joey's and can see how they'd work better in a recorded mix. Not sure if the video just doesn't represent well or what. I may grab these IRs. I'm sure Joey knows what he's doing. He's gotten some insanely good tones on many of the albums he's produced.

I've been a member of that forum but I'm not active anymore. One of the main reasons for that is that I realized that they have such a narrow musical taste it's sad. If your vocalist doesn't sound like a demon you are "gay". (it's 2013) Also it's ridiculous how they actually only listen to one genre that sounds like noise to most human beings and by coming up with a new word and adding "-core" in the end they think they have an open minded musical taste. And listening to music like that is mostly compensating. Those guys are geeks and they listen to that music to make them feel like they're not. I don't mean to be mean here but that's just how I feel it is. Just like both of the guys in that video... taking your eyeglasses off isn't fooling anyone, you're not Clark Kent. (meh-meh-meh) :) I know because I've been like that before.

Them liking the Kemper is also funny to me because those guys use so much gain that all that actually matters is the IR. They were loving the Kemper before it supported custom IRs.

Maybe the whole "comparing to a competitor" thing is a bit unwise. The customer doesn't need to hear about marketing competition and this is not a genitalia measurement competition. You don't have to bash another company to bump yourself up. You might aswell have chosen a bad IR for that comparison... but you didn't and we're glad you're honest with your product. :)

And just to be clear, I'm still going to buy these IRs so I know. :) I must say that I like the fact that IR's are raw because it makes digital sound less digital you know. But how much did you guys process these IRs? Are there any unmixed IR's without EQ in there?

EDIT: Okay I just got them and tried them. My first impression is that it's just like having two options of which neither gets to my IR top 10 list. A bit weird V30 curves if you ask me.

Last edited:
I've been a member of that forum but I'm not active anymore. One of the main reasons for that is that I realized that they have such a narrow musical taste it's sad. If your vocalist doesn't sound like a demon you are "gay". (it's 2013) Also it's ridiculous how they actually only listen to one genre that sounds like noise to most human beings and by coming up with a new word and adding "-core" in the end they think they have an open minded musical taste. And listening to music like that is mostly compensating. Those guys are geeks and they listen to that music to make them feel like they're not. I don't mean to be mean here but that's just how I feel it is. Just like both of the guys in that video... taking your eyeglasses off isn't fooling anyone, you're not Clark Kent. (meh-meh-meh) :) I know because I've been like that before.

Them liking the Kemper is also funny to me because those guys use so much gain that all that actually matters is the IR. They were loving the Kemper before it supported custom IRs.

Maybe the whole "comparing to a competitor" thing is a bit unwise. The customer doesn't need to hear about marketing competition and this is not a genitalia measurement competition. You don't have to bash another company to bump yourself up. You might aswell have chosen a bad IR for that comparison... but you didn't and we're glad you're honest with your product. :)

:roll'

Just because you got run out of that forum by people who didn't agree with your biased opinions, doesn't give you the right to be a dick. No reason to get all butthurt over it, just because you don't agree with someone else. It's your over-inflated ego that got you no where on that forum, too.

Too bad, because I was always a fan of your match EQ strategies until you blew up on everyone at the end. Nice goin'.

Well, I'm not really sure there is a 'worse' or better in regards to IRs, as it depends 100% on the context and mix. I understand they're supposed to be mix ready, but what worries me about that is no mix is the same. Mix ready IRs seem like the equivalent of using presets for mixing and mastering which is just...eh. Unpolished is a good thing for IRs (imo), for recording, because you can sculpt later on. But hey, that's just my opinion. The only application where I think mix ready IRs would be ideal is possibly a live situation, because you have much less control than you do while mixing.

Reactions: npx
Back
Top Bottom