Joey Sturgis IR pack

I just saw him post about these and purchased them. Haven't loaded them in yet but they sound great in the demo's

Honestly, the end of the video where they flip between their IR and the other IR, all I can say is, "yup, they sound a bit different!" No clear preference from me.

I think IRs are fast becoming the wine of the guitar player world!

i bought the pack but wasn't able to test them yet.

as i wrote on the AS forum, the "competitors sample" sounds way better alone as a distinct guitar sound.
the JTW again sounds weak and boxy alone but it works in the mix, it sits better and it's way clearer...just my 2c.

Thanks for the input. I'm more after fat guitar sounds immediately enjoyable for live use ; I can tweak these kind of tones in a DAW to make them mix ready

Among commercial IRs, for metal, The Messiah (a set of 4 IRs) is a good "mix ready" impulse – although a HPF may be needed

There are others commercial IR packs that AFAIK we never talked about :

Top Cabinet Impulses recorded with top gear, 96 different impulses! - Ultimate Metal Forum
Introducing two new IR packs, massive IR shootout, AND a surprise! - Ultimate Metal Forum

I have the Messiah pack. Not crazy about them. I've tried recording with them and they do a decent job but I end up having to EQ a lot out of the lows and low mids with the Messiah cabs. I definitely wouldn't call them "mix ready".

The first link above, "Top Cabinet Impulses", are The Metal Factory IRs. I started a thread about them a while back and there's been another one as well. I really liked them at first but now I'd just call them decent. The problem is that you really don't get a whole lot in terms of mics and mic positions. For example, let's say you want a SM57 on axis for the Bogner cab. You only have 4 to choose from and the only difference between them is the power amp/power amp settings. They're definitely usable but for best results I always had to mix them. The 57s are very bright so you pretty much always have to mix them with something else considerably darker (like a R121). I wouldn't put them in the "fat guitar sounds immediately enjoyable for live use" category. These are probably better for recording.

I wouldn't mind trying these Sturgis IRs, though I agree the "competitor" sounded much better. On the other hand, I'm getting sick of the IR game. I've tried tons of commercial IRs and it seems I'm never fully satisfied with any of them. Probably would be best to quit spending money on them.

For modern high gain metal sounds it's hard to beat some of the IRs that have been around for years, such as Guitarhack ("This One" and the "Sneap Edge" ones come to mind specifically), "Asem Recto", etc. They seem to be what I always come back to. Mix ready, with minimal EQing.

I liked Other better as well, theirs sounded like a cocked wah almost. I also think it's fishy a guy saying he has 20+ years experience when he looks like he just got his license to drive. IMHO.

Choices are good, I still use stock ir's.

For modern high gain metal sounds it's hard to beat some of the IRs that have been around for years, such as Guitarhack ("This One" and the "Sneap Edge" ones come to mind specifically), "Asem Recto", etc. They seem to be what I always come back to. Mix ready, with minimal EQing.
And ThisOne is still my favorite too

"For modern high gain metal sounds it's hard to beat some of the IRs that have been around for years, such as Guitarhack ("This One" and the "Sneap Edge" ones come to mind specifically), "Asem Recto", etc. They seem to be what I always come back to. Mix ready, with minimal EQing."
^this someone on this forum shared a bunch called specials, like Special_1 Special_2 etc. they mix really well with the other stock IR's.
I am also a fan of "thisOne" and the "Asem Recto"

I also think it's fishy a guy saying he has 20+ years experience when he looks like he just got his license to drive. IMHO.

According to Wikipedia, Sturgis was born in 1985, which would make him about 28 years old, so yeah 20 yrs. experience is pushing it.

To his credit though, he is an accomplished producer with a huge production discography, including some fairly well-known bands. Quite well known in the world of "metalcore".

Back
Top Bottom