jmp-1 over the brit pre anyone using?

Metal1993

Inspired
I notice that most presets that use the jmp-1 use the "brit pre" over the acutal " jmp-1" model? I was surprised when the new version came out most people still use the old one. Even mokes presets for def leppard use the britt pre over the jmp-1 model. So is there anyone using the new version? If not is there a adjustment to go either way for each model?

i find the new models a little frustrating, because the tone knobs have a much bigger sweep than the actual jmp-1. i don't think you should be moving them past about +6.5 to get the maximum available on the real thing (if my math is correct). they sound great, but the original brit pre model is so easy to dial in. personally, i wish cliff would make the new models behave more accurately with respect to the controls...it may be limiting the tonal possibilities, but for me, that's kind of the charm of the original unit (i had one for years and loved it)

@simeon - I would bet that if the model has greater tonal range, that Cliff's JMP does too.

But JMP aside... Man, that Brit Pre is just a magic amp model to my ears. I know some celebrity guitar players who played JMPs for years and they prefer it. Oh, and speaking of Def Lep, I sat and dialed in Axe-Fx presets using Phil Collen's actual JMP rig... We chose.... you guessed it: Brit Pre!

“The JMP-1 tone controls have more range than the actual preamp. The preamp has about +/- 8 dB for each tone control while the model has the standard +/- 12 dB."

And

"So the JMP-1 uses a fixed tone stack and then a digitally controlled graphic EQ. The Axe-Fx model of the JMP-1 is "better" in the sense that the tone controls control the tone stack rather than a graphic EQ. You then have the separate graphic EQ to further tailor the sound. What I didn't do, and why people probably feel the model differs, is "normalize" the tone controls so that with B/M/T at noon the tone stacks match. On the Axe-Fx you might need to set the Bass to 3, Mid to 7, etc. to get the tone to match. I just used a standard Marshall tone stack whereas the JMP-1 uses a standard Marshall tone stack but the pots are replaced with fixed resistors but those values don't necessarily correspond to the pots at noon."

From the thread https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/im-confused-about-modeling-a-jmp-1.110637:

Based on the information that the tone controls of the original JMP-1 cover a range from -8dB to +8dB while the ones of the JMPre-1 model range from -12dB to +12dB, the following formula should convert tone control values from the JMP-1 directly into values for the JMPre-1 model:

a = value for Axe-Fx II
j = value from JMP-1

a = 5/12 x (4/3 x j + 12)

I'd just use what sounds good and not worry about if its an old model or new model. For example I still enjoy the Das Metal model and that is quite old, and probably not very technically accurate as newer models, but it still sounds gnarly so I'll use it a fair bit

this just seems so strange to me. cliff has been working on matching the models to the amps in such detail, that the tone knobs on the models behave exactly the same as on the real thing - same taper, same range etc - so that you can match the sound of the real amp by putting the knobs on the model in the same place (see the larry mitchell vid). except the new jmp-1 models....different range, different taper...so there's no way you can match a setting on the real thing. yes, i know we should all be using our ears to dial in, but these models seem to go against the whole ethos of absolute accuracy?

The JMP-1 in the Axe sounds NOTHING like the real thing; the only share the name.
The original is far superior.

The Brit Pre is closer to the original, but last time I checked it didn't have as much gain as the real one, not sure why.

this just seems so strange to me. cliff has been working on matching the models to the amps in such detail, that the tone knobs on the models behave exactly the same as on the real thing - same taper, same range etc - so that you can match the sound of the real amp by putting the knobs on the model in the same place (see the larry mitchell vid). except the new jmp-1 models....different range, different taper...so there's no way you can match a setting on the real thing. yes, i know we should all be using our ears to dial in, but these models seem to go against the whole ethos of absolute accuracy?

I think the issue is the preamp being modeled is pretty unique in it's way of doing tone changes with its fixed tonestack and switched resistor array. To make it 100% accurate, you'd need a model for each individual tone setting combination.

I notice that most presets that use the jmp-1 use the "brit pre" over the acutal " jmp-1" model? I was surprised when the new version came out most people still use the old one. Even mokes presets for def leppard use the britt pre over the jmp-1 model. So is there anyone using the new version? If not is there a adjustment to go either way for each model?
Since you mentioned me, I figured that I should weigh in on this.

When I originally made that particular preset, there were no other JMP models available. Once the new JMP models came out, I did try them out. But I liked how the 'Brit-Pre' model sounded for this particular preset.

@simeon - I would bet that if the model has greater tonal range, that Cliff's JMP does too.

But JMP aside... Man, that Brit Pre is just a magic amp model to my ears. I know some celebrity guitar players who played JMPs for years and they prefer it. Oh, and speaking of Def Lep, I sat and dialed in Axe-Fx presets using Phil Collen's actual JMP rig... We chose.... you guessed it: Brit Pre!

Can you share the preset you used to match phils exact rig? I think we would all love that!!!!

I shall not give up. You have never replied to my request to I shall ask again, can you please share the settings! I got the axe love phils tone and why not have both please.

Back
Top Bottom