JCM800 V-9.0 Amp/Cab/Reverb

Re: JCM800 V-9.0 Test - Amp/Cab/Reverb

Hey Scott,

I am really digging this! 800 all the way :cool:

Also to you and the other guys who are putting together these amp tutorials, Thanks! They are really useful, I think that they (as well as Cliff's awesome updates!) will help new AxeFX owners get a great starting tone out of the box which is very cool.

Spence

The JCM800 never sounded that good! :twisted: 800's were more distortion buzz and less chime. This sounds like a well tubed '77 JMP, which is one of my favorites of all time. The transformer sim is BIG...and that is good. The response is great, chimes like a real tube amp, and has realistic full tone. I could not tell this is a digital box at all.

Question :?:

How was it recorded? I hear real speakers there, and maybe G12H30's or some Greenback version. If this is direct, I'm one step closer to getting one of these. Also, any post EQ outside of the unit?

Great tone there, Scott! Cheers! :)

Phil :cool:

PHILBERT said:
How was it recorded? I hear real speakers there, and maybe G12H30's or some Greenback version. If this is direct, I'm one step closer to getting one of these. Also, any post EQ outside of the unit?

Hey Phil,

HAPPY THANKSGIVING DUDE :!:

In case you haven't already seen it, I think it's all explained here ....

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11801

It's a combination of the Axe and Red Wirez IR's .... Scott has really gotten into the IR mixing to simulate a cabinet with multiple mics and even a room mic I think ?

Anyway, it's all there in the link ....

PHILBERT said:
The JCM800 never sounded that good! :twisted: 800's were more distortion buzz and less chime. This sounds like a well tubed '77 JMP, which is one of my favorites of all time. The transformer sim is BIG...and that is good. The response is great, chimes like a real tube amp, and has realistic full tone. I could not tell this is a digital box at all.

Phil - one of my heros! Nice to see you here on the Fractal forum man. Your insights into the EQ after the POD's was extremely insightful and imaginative.

That's 100% direct. As linked above, I've created a 'tweak' thread that explains it in detail. I personally feel it's key to work as hard on the IR's as it is to dial in the tone. The KEY to the end tone being real to me is the IR. I use a mix of Red Wire IR's that are mixed down to one high res IR that I use in one user cab slot on the Axe-FX. That allows me to create insanely deep (should I require it) or simple custom IR mixes for up to 10 'custom' cabinet slots in the Axe-FX.

I record guitar-Axe-FX-digital out to Reaper and then rip down to mp3. No post, no tricks.

It indeed is a new paradigm, I've strongly said that since June 2007. The game has been changed by Fractal; once he opened up User IR slots on the Axe-FX; it was a totally different playing field.

Scott Peterson said:
PHILBERT said:

Phil - one of my heros! Nice to see you here on the Fractal forum man. Your insights into the EQ after the POD's was extremely insightful and imaginative.

That's 100% direct. As linked above, I've created a 'tweak' thread that explains it in detail. I personally feel it's key to work as hard on the IR's as it is to dial in the tone. The KEY to the end tone being real to me is the IR. I use a mix of Red Wire IR's that are mixed down to one high res IR that I use in one user cab slot on the Axe-FX. That allows me to create insanely deep (should I require it) or simple custom IR mixes for up to 10 'custom' cabinet slots in the Axe-FX.

I record guitar-Axe-FX-digital out to Reaper and then rip down to mp3. No post, no tricks.

It indeed is a new paradigm, I've strongly said that since June 2007. The game has been changed by Fractal; once he opened up User IR slots on the Axe-FX; it was a totally different playing field.

nice and throaty Scott. I like it.

xpenno said:
Hey Scott,

I am really digging this! 800 all the way :cool:

Also to you and the other guys who are putting together these amp tutorials, Thanks! They are really useful, I think that they (as well as Cliff's awesome updates!) will help new AxeFX owners get a great starting tone out of the box which is very cool.

Spence
+1, I really appreciate being able to benefit from other's experience. This thing is a beast to get on top of with so many parameters, and anything that helps accelerate the process towards getting that perfect tone I'm after is extremely welcome. Scott, as long as you and other continue to have the energy and motivation to share, please keep it up! I find huge benefit in it and think it really benefits the entire Axe-Fx community.

That was nice! Better than I expected. Great job Scott. I will check out the "tweak" tread.

Which guitar did you use and what pickups are in it?

pretty amazing...i would never guess that was not a great sounding 800 miked up.

MKeditor said:
That was nice! Better than I expected. Great job Scott. I will check out the "tweak" tread.

Which guitar did you use and what pickups are in it?

Melancon Custom Artist S/S/H (WCR SR/SR/Goodwood).

Sounds great Scott!

I really dig this new firmware release. The highs in the amp sims are finally starting to sound right!

Thanks
Joakim

Scott Peterson said:
PHILBERT said:

Hero? Me?? :lol: Well, thank you but you are the hero now. That is outstanding for a direct tone! NOW I know this box can do it. I'm sold, but I need some $$$. Xmas time and I'm spending more than I should, so it may take a bonus check or something to get me there. :? I wonder if the old L6 talent that knew what they were doing went over to Fractal. :?:

I agree 100% that it is important to get the CAB/MIC right. You either make it or break it right there. That cab is dead-nuts on the mark. And if I'm reading this right (and I will check out the other thread) I can tell I will be deep into IR tweaking. Of course the amp tone is important, but nothing brings out the character like a good set of speakers in a tight cab with excellent micing. Room helps somewhat too, but this is the final filter for your tone. I LOVE so many of the old Celestion speaker types, and some not so much, but who can afford all the best types? IF I can dial in my favorites, I will be one happy camper! :D

RD ~ Happy Thanksgiving to you too! I'm gassing now, darn it! :x How about a realistic Recto tone? The Bulb guy (who is quite a talented person) has managed to get the mesa tone sounding pretty good. I'm looking for something like a "Drowning Pool" Recto sound. Chevel tone would be great too. I can see it now...hours of tone creation, but at least you are not spending hours and hours of time trying to correct garbage tone! :mrgreen:

PHILBERT said:
I can see it now...hours of tone creation, but at least you are not spending hours and hours of time trying to correct garbage tone! :mrgreen:

You just nailed it right there my friend !

Just a quick note: I changed a setting, so I updated the "Tweak" thread detailing this preset and redid the soundclip (same basic meandering on the fretboard).

Basically, I upped the Sag to 7.20 and slightly changed up the drive gain (up to 7.56). Other than that, everything is the same.

The Sag being cranked up really gives it some more balls; and on the gig this weekend, I REALLY liked it. Even on tunes that I would normally take a higher gain amp to... the Marshall 'thing' just WORKED. So I changed it up and wanted to give a head's up.

Some guys have PM'd me or emailed me that they like this tone and wanted more detail on why I dialed it. The only real 'tweak' I did to this beyond your normal EQ, drive, sag, MV is really to drop that bright cap on the input down to the same level as it is on the Plexi2. As soon as most guys that 'knew' what they heck they were doing with the JCM800; the first thing they did is clip that bright cap. In the Axe-FX, having that 'bright' switch just does something that works, so I played with the values till I found one I liked... then noticed it's the same setting as on the Plexi2 model block. Viola.

PHILBERT said:
How about a realistic Recto tone?

Not to hijack Scott's thread, but here's a quick recto clip. I think the Recto Orange with the matching cab. I didn't do anything to it, tweak wise. Just whatever stock patch was in the unit. I've since done better with the Recto New, but don't have a clip of that one laying around.

http://www.houseknecht.net/songs/axefx/Recto.mp3

It was far too bass heavy and needs more upper mids. But as you said above, you're not tweaking a garbage tone to sound better. You're tweaking an already good tone to sound great!

Back
Top Bottom