Jason Becker's ice challenge!

+1 to John Mayer! Of course my heart goes out to Jason.

That said, perhaps someone can clear this up for me. My understanding is the challenge is for people to donate money or pour ice water on themselves in lieu of donating. I see all these (presumably rich) celebrities getting accolades for pouring ice water on themselves. Should they perhaps instead be chided for not donating instead (as pouring ice water one one's self conceivably can't benefit ALS research)?

I would presume a lot of the famous guys take the water AND write a check, whereas all us regular jackoffs just get wet...?

Jason Becker is my guitar hero, the first time i heard Altitude on Perpetual Burn i was blown away by such emotions !

Jason is one of my GH too, and an example for how he accepted the disease, well I don't know if I would be so strong...

That said, perhaps someone can clear this up for me. My understanding is the challenge is for people to donate money or pour ice water on themselves in lieu of donating. I see all these (presumably rich) celebrities getting accolades for pouring ice water on themselves. Should they perhaps instead be chided for not donating instead (as pouring ice water one one's self conceivably can't benefit ALS research)?

Some people don't quite understand how it's supposed to work.

From Wiki:

Whether people choose to donate, perform the challenge, or do both varies. In one version of the challenge, the participant is expected to donate $10 if they have poured the ice water over their head or donate $100 if they have not.[24] In another version, dumping the ice water over the participant's head is done in lieu of any donation, which has led to some criticisms of the challenge being a form of "slacktivism".[25] Individual videos have included the participant saying that they will be making a donation along with performing the challenge..........

.....American stunt performer and TV personality Steve-O questioned the campaign, suggesting that celebrities' videos generally forgot to share donation information for ALS charities, and that the initial $15 million dollars in funds was insignificant, given the star power of the celebrities participating. He noted that, of the videos he viewed, only Charlie Sheen and Bill Gates noted that the point is to donate money.[38]

Not sure what class that would be, but in any case he's a character all right...
Don't like everything he does, but he put his money where his mouth is on this one.

There are very few famous people that inspire me because of the person they are. Jason is one of them.

Drew Carey is another in my book.
I don't find him particularly funny or entertaining, but he's done a lot of volunteer stuff including some USO tours (which I appreciate in particular as a vet), and I've heard he's a genuinely good guy.
...a piano will probably fall on him because he isn't the typical Hollywood d-bag. *rollseyes*

I think the idea is that once you pour water over yourself you get to nominate to someone else. You don't have to donate either way (that's why it's called charity), you just don't get to nominate if you don't suffer. :D

Back
Top Bottom