Jar of Bees Remedy

Did you add a PEQ block after the cab or somehow found a way to EQ the cab directly?

You can do it either way, to be honest. Set a blocking filter in the PEQ in the 70 to 120Hz
range to get the tubbiness out and a blocking filter at 5500kHz to 8500kHz for the fizzies.

I have done it both ways (PEQ after amp/cab, and in the Cab Block).

Also check out and experiment with the slope.... it determines how steep or shallow your
roll offs are when you set them.

You can do it either way, to be honest. Set a blocking filter in the PEQ in the 70 to 120Hz
range to get the tubbiness out and a blocking filter at 5500kHz to 8500kHz for the fizzies.

I have done it both ways (PEQ after amp/cab, and in the Cab Block).

Also check out and experiment with the slope.... it determines how steep or shallow your
roll offs are when you set them.
Sure, but you're using more CPU unnecessarily with an extra EQ Block.

Long time AxeFX 2 user just bought OMG9 rig and every patch has a high end electronic fizzy sound. Sounds like a jar of bees. My Axe 2 doesn’t sound this way. I thought I saw a thread about a remedy for this and can’t find it. Can anyone point me to a remedy?

Thanks
Just played my second gig with the FM3 (as well as two practices). After the first gig I listened to the playback and the tone was harsh, but that was due to what I suspect is sorry EQ in the mixer. So before the second gig I tried to find IRs that attenuated the harshness frequency range. In my headphones the tone was a bit muted, but it sounded far better in the live mix. Sometimes it is necessary to anticipate a bit how the tone will sit in the mix and adjust accordingly.

So far IMHO the FM3 is in no way harsh unless you set it up to be so, or the playback system has too much brightness. You have to watch your playback devices; many FRFRs are "EQd for speech intelligibility", which in modeling terms means the treble is boosted in exactly the wrong places for good modeler tone. And many headphones are not flat in response at all, even though the specs seem to indicate they are. Good phones are expensive but well worth the cost.

many FRFRs are "EQd for speech intelligibility", which in modeling terms means the treble is boosted in exactly the wrong places for good modeler tone.
Then by definition they are not FRFR... Those sound like stage monitors. Still a fair point if you're using them for monitoring.

I’ve always tweaked my presets with what I was playing though,at about 90 decibels

Depends on what you are shooting for, I guess.

Was simply tossing the option out there into the wild. :)
Also there is nothing wrong with just piling on a bunch of different LPF's tuned to the same frequency to get a sharper cut. Brickwall the problem frequencies. IIRC the amp and cab blocks both have their own LPF's, as well as the outputs, use them all. And if you have a block and CPU to spare, put an EQ in there as well. If it sounds good it is good.

Also there is nothing wrong with just piling on a bunch of different LPF's tuned to the same frequency to get a sharper cut. Brickwall the problem frequencies. IIRC the amp and cab blocks both have their own LPF's, as well as the outputs, use them all. And if you have a block and CPU to spare, put an EQ in there as well. If it sounds good it is good.
24db per octave in the Cab Block should be more than steep enough filtering for an electric guitar, and if you need more than that you likely have other issues like incorrect parameter settings or the wrong IR etc.

I have been playing with modelers since the late 80's. The Jar of Bees syndrome was always a nightmare (I even bought that stupid RadTone Harmonic Converger to try to get rid of it), until I had my first Axe-FX Standard in 2006. No Jar of Bees since then (as far as I choose the correct IR)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom