Jar of Bees Remedy

axme

Inspired
Long time AxeFX 2 user just bought OMG9 rig and every patch has a high end electronic fizzy sound. Sounds like a jar of bees. My Axe 2 doesn’t sound this way. I thought I saw a thread about a remedy for this and can’t find it. Can anyone point me to a remedy?

Thanks

What are you playing through? Guitar Cab? FRFR?
If FRFR - do you have a Cab block in your signal chain?

Bought new or used? If used, probably a good idea to reset system settings.

Amp and Cab modeling enabled?

Factory presets or something you created?

What firmware version?

Have you tried High Cut in the Cab block?

Long time AxeFX 2 user just bought OMG9 rig and every patch has a high end electronic fizzy sound. Sounds like a jar of bees. My Axe 2 doesn’t sound this way. I thought I saw a thread about a remedy for this and can’t find it. Can anyone point me to a remedy?

Thanks
Export an example preset and attach it, along with the backup of your system settings to your original post so we can actually see what is configured. Descriptions are not nearly as useful as a description plus having the preset and system configuration in hand where we can poke and prod.

Are you trying to reuse an FX2 preset’s exact settings on the FM3? That trick won’t work because there have been too many changes to the firmware. It’d be better to reset at least the amp, cab and EQ settings back to their defaults and adjust by ear.

I find I need very little adjusting to the EQ to get a good sound on my FM3+FC6 into my FRFR.

How do unaltered factory presets sound? What volume are you running at? 85+db is where the Fletcher-Munson effect is not affecting us too badly and Fractal EQ’d the factory presets at realistic volume so they sound best at the same.

Last edited:
  • Bought used
  • Amp and cab modeling is enabled
  • Factory presets and custom are all fizzy
  • Latest firmware 5.01
  • Reset is probably a good idea. Afraid to do this today or tomorrow before gigs.

I tried cutting output 1 global eq 2k and 4K which helped a little image.jpg

I can export a preset and backup probably tomorrow. Will resetting system wipeout OMG9 layout? I’m still trying to understand how this works. Maybe it’s a no brainer to do a reset I’m just hesitant before gigs.

Also, I'm using a Tele which is definitely brighter than my LP but even the LP sounds fizzy.

Not sure about that, but in case it does, you can always reload it on the device. Setup > FC Controllers > Page all the way right to "Reset" > Load FM3 + FC-6 Layout & Settings.
Wow. That sounds easier than I expected.

Export an example preset and attach it, along with the backup of your system settings to your original post so we can actually see what is configured. Descriptions are not nearly as useful as a description plus having the preset and system configuration in hand where we can poke and prod.

Are you trying to reuse an FX2 preset’s exact settings on the FM3? That trick won’t work because there have been too many changes to the firmware. It’d be better to reset at least the amp, cab and EQ settings back to their defaults and adjust by ear.

I find I need very little adjusting to the EQ to get a good sound on my FM3+FC6 into my FRFR.

How do unaltered factory presets sound? What volume are you running at? 85+db is where the Fletcher-Munson effect is not affecting us too badly and Fractal EQ’d the factory presets at realistic volume so they sound best at the same.
When I bought the unit I had to quickly find some patches that would work. Honestly I’m not sure if the prior owner had tweaked them or not. I downloaded a couple of user patches from the preset exchange forum and they were fizzy also which leads me to believe it’s a system issue on my end.

Also, I took a chance and upgraded the firmware but did not reload all the factory presets. I used the old FX2 trick of reloading the amp model which hopefully updated it to the Cygnus modeling algorithm. I read about all the factory presets being upgraded but didn’t understand the logic behind why I would reload them all.

When I bought the unit I had to quickly find some patches that would work. Honestly I’m not sure if the prior owner had tweaked them or not. I downloaded a couple of user patches from the preset exchange forum and they were fizzy also which leads me to believe it’s a system issue on my end.

Also, I took a chance and upgraded the firmware but did not reload all the factory presets. I used the old FX2 trick of reloading the amp model which hopefully updated it to the Cygnus modeling algorithm. I read about all the factory presets being upgraded but didn’t understand the logic behind why

You need to reset to cancel out anything you may be missing from prev owner settings.

Backup your layouts, presets, etc. And reset yhe entire unit.

ReLoad factory presets.

Test. Should sound normal

Load your presets and layouts and try it again.

You have nothing to lose, it already sounds like crap.

Agreed - reset is best step.
Share a preset if it still sounds bad. I can tell you that Cygnus has no hint of 'bees' in any preset I've ever tried or created.
You have to try to make it sound bad.

Note - in the screen shot you shared, the right most fader is not EQ, it is Gain.
(you seem to have notched it down, I'm assuming thinking it was a 'high eq' slider.)

FWIW I thought the Axe 3 sounded brighter than the AX8 I used to have, so there may be some more treble than you're used to. But certainly not what you're describing. Hope the reset fixed it!

I found my FM3 Output was set to +4dbu when I received mine (bought used)

I changed this to the -10dbv and it fixed up a similar issue with the top end being fizzy, regardless of what amp, cab, factory preset I ran.

New user here, just used mine for the first time at practice last night. I was dreadfully afraid of getting the fizzies as that turns me off on a modeler FAST (the reason I abandoned Line 6 Helix technology). And I was using the 59 Bassman patch as well, those can be very fizzy.

I dialed up the cab block, set the EQ to Parametric, set the LPF to around 7kHz. From the first note the tones were nice and bright, great response, and zero fizzies. IME do not be afraid to drop a LPF on your cab and crank the freq lower than you think makes sense. There is usually a LPF frequency where the fizzies get killed but all the good treble articulation remains, just tweak the LPF freq until you find that sweet spot.

Back
Top Bottom