Jackson vs. Charvel ...Preference?

Those are some nice guitars so far it looks like Charvel might be favored if it is MIM or USA. How does one tell? I did like the Charvel neck might be similar to Jackson if made in same factory...will find out.
Thanks a bunch guys...I planned to head to guitar shop Saturday but the wife smelled a rat and now it is a local college football game. Must have been the glazed look in my eyes. Appreciate all the comments...it will be next week before I get there.

Hi all,
I am in the market to return to the 80's with a new guitar with Floyd Rose. I have a Kramer Focus with FR that I played in the day but the FR has pulled forward over time and there is no wood left to support the trem.
I have no experience with either Charvel or Jackson, but our local guitar shop carries both with several configurations and some EVH. Reaching out to the more experienced folks who might have an opinion on build quality, hardware, neck, etc...
I have played around with the Charvel San Dimas and liked the neck, but it wouldn't stay in tune. I see Jackson has released a new Pro series and Virtuoso series.

Thanks !
If you're used to a Kramer, get a Charvel San Dimas with a Floyd double-locking vibrato and Duncan JB/59 pickups, it shouldn't have tuning problems if the Floyd is set up correctly. The ash ones are usually lighter than the alder models, but none of the new ones have the cool candy colors of the 2008-2010 models. If your Kramer has a rosewood fretboard, you'll have to go USA select or get a custom neck, as MIM San Dimas models come with maple or ebony fingerboards. Or get an old 80s Kramer Focus and have it re-fretted(will probably need it if it's a good one).

Last edited:
I think most charvels you can expect more of a C shape neck whereas Jackson is usually D profile. Speculation on my part though (sample size of 1 each lately).

I have almost 100 Charvels from 1986 to 2010. None of them have neck profiles just like any of the 10 Kramer's my son has. Original or Gibson.
My 2018 San Dimas neck profile is quite similar to my 1985 Kramer Baretta. Don't play Baretta, though-needs a refret. And it's pretty heavy....

Last edited:
Don't own a Charvel yet, but plenty of Jacksons. I'm probably biased because they're my fav brand. The American series is just so freaking good. Drooling over one of the Virtuosos recently

I think most charvels you can expect more of a C shape neck whereas Jackson is usually D profile. Speculation on my part though (sample size of 1 each lately).
I'd say that's a pretty accurate statement since I've owned many Charvels and a few Jacksons, and I don't like D profile necks.

same as most others here ... Charvel (I have 2) are unbeatable value and if you like the neck profile then get one bought.
The paint finish sometimes feels a little thin but playability is excellent once the FR setup properly.
However my favourite neck is without any doubt the current EVH Wolfgang - but hey that's just me (and Eddie).

My main gigging guitar is the DK 24, not a single complaint about it. Goes out 2 -3 times a week, gets battered, stays in tune, neck rarely moves and doesn't matter if I beat the snot out of it

Attachments

• 20230930_104919.jpg
    20230930_104919.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 14
I have a Jackson Soloist SL-1 and SL-3. Love both, prefer the SL-1, stacked humbuckers less noise. The pricetag is stupid, you could get an SL-3 and replace with stacks instead of single coils if you're fine with a non-original Floyd. My only gripe with either is I hate where the volume knob is. Honestly the best knob placement I ever had was an EBMM Majesty or a LP, but I can't do LPs ever again because no matter how much voodoo or money I put into them they don't stay in tune. Soloist stays in tune next to always.

I own four Charvels (Two DK24's and two San Dimas). I have one Jackson. I love the 4 Charvels. I play them all on a semi daily basis. Charvels to me are like a good pair of old sneakers or jeans. They instantly feel comfortable. The Jackson is kind of the forgotten child. Part of that is that it's in drop D. So, there aren't a ton of situations where I play in that tuning. There are times when I think I should sell it off. Then when I pull it down and play it, that thought instantly gets wiped away. They all play great. Take of that what you will.

Thankyou sir

The only gatcha I've run into is to make sure the set screw on the new arm points outward for access. I'm also not sure how tight the bottom nut should be on the new arm. I've got it somewhere between snug and tight but was a bit fearfull of turning it beyond that - any advice ln the tightness of the bottom nut?
Tight but don't risk breaking anything.

I have almost 100 Charvels from 1986 to 2010. None of them have neck profiles just like any of the 10 Kramer's my son has. Original or Gibson.
And I have played ones right back to the beginning, this is absolutely correct . Only the pre production necks were ever C profile everything else is broadly D and Jackson necks are the same profile give or take manufacturing over the years. Kramer are Fender C with a flat fingerboard and nothing like ,not even the fret size or nut width.

A lot of Charvels I've owned have had thin C profile necks, some with more shoulder, some with less. The two-piece necks usually seem to have more shoulder. My Guthrie Govan MJ has a perfect C neck, very similar to the 2008-2010 pro-mods.

After a few hours with the push-in bar installed I feel a definite improvement. Personal choice I guess but it feels great to use - like it's more solidly connected, and it'll do the "flutter" thing without extraneous noise (tho I don't care for that effect). The set screw allows for setting exact tension desired. I'll order the SS string lock / saddle mount / nut lock screws afaik effectively making the FR1000 a 1500 but more for the silver on black aesthetic as much as any pronounced improvement I imagine SS screws could realistically add.

A lot of Charvels I've owned have had thin C profile necks, some with more shoulder, some with less. The two-piece necks usually seem to have more shoulder. My Guthrie Govan MJ has a perfect C neck, very similar to the 2008-2010 pro-mods.
I would strongly disagree that the neck profiles of these are C. They epitomise the D shape that was the core part of their offer at the time. You do get variance because of simpler production methods and hand sanding but the core neck shape has been D since production models.

Back
Top Bottom