Jackson vs. Charvel ...Preference?

ZoonDog

Hi all,
I am in the market to return to the 80's with a new guitar with Floyd Rose. I have a Kramer Focus with FR that I played in the day but the FR has pulled forward over time and there is no wood left to support the trem.
I have no experience with either Charvel or Jackson, but our local guitar shop carries both with several configurations and some EVH. Reaching out to the more experienced folks who might have an opinion on build quality, hardware, neck, etc...
I have played around with the Charvel San Dimas and liked the neck, but it wouldn't stay in tune. I see Jackson has released a new Pro series and Virtuoso series.

Thanks !

I've never played either brand but if you like the neck on the Charvel you played, that's the direction I'd be looking.

For sure will play a few more...will try the Jacksons also, I might be wrong on this but I thought I heard that Fender owns both brands so my thoughts are they might be very similar. Same factory etc...but not sure.

I had a black Charvel DK 24 (MIM) with FR, that was a very good guitar. The only thing I remember that was a negative was the satin paint glossy-ing up on touchpoints. No tuning stability issues.

I had a USA Jackson Soloist with FR a long time ago, a really nice premium instrument. No tuning stability issues.

If I had to choose between Charvel and Jackson these days, I would look at the target material to be played. Jackson is more targeted towards the heavy metal crowd, and Charvel more to the rock and hard rock crowd. (I think)

If I look at the MIM EVH guitars, there was at least one that had a quarter-sawn neck. That's rare for ~1k guitars. I had D-Tunas (retro-fitted) and they are a bit finicky. I wouldn't install one again.

Tuning stability with FR might simply be not tightening things down hard enough (if the strings were stretched properly, which the store model might not have gone through...)

For sure will play a few more...will try the Jacksons also, I might be wrong on this but I thought I heard that Fender owns both brands so my thoughts are they might be very similar. Same factory etc...but not sure.
Fender does own both brands, its more down to what you're looking for. Me Ive been leaning more towards old school 22 fret floyd Rose guitars With Hum Single or HSS configurations. I have a MIM Charvel as well as a Jackson USA Adrian Smith

Nice gits...Thanks for the input...yeah that's a good point...our band does mostly 70s 80s 90s rock...not really metal...so not looking for overly aggressive pick-up combo. The Jackson Pro series SL3 intrigues me...I like the HSS style, SS frets, Lumilay dots funny enough, since I can't see in dark as well anymore, like a straty thing on the neck PU to keep from so many guitar changes during set...but impossible to avoid since there is no one and done in a cover band with alternate tunings. I know there is a slight difference between FR 1000 and 1500. Which also happens to be the $ range but willing to go up a little more if required. I know best thing is to play 'em all. Just hopin for a head start any gotchas down the road...lol

Nice gits...Thanks for the input...yeah that's a good point...our band does mostly 70s 80s 90s rock...not really metal...so not looking for overly aggressive pick-up combo. The Jackson Pro series SL3 intrigues me...I like the HSS style, SS frets, Lumilay dots funny enough, since I can't see in dark as well anymore, like a straty thing on the neck PU to keep from so many guitar changes during set...but impossible to avoid since there is no one and done in a cover band with alternate tunings. I know there is a slight difference between FR 1000 and 1500. Which also happens to be the $ range but willing to go up a little more if required. I know best thing is to play 'em all. Just hopin for a head start any gotchas down the road...lol
Thanks, I pretty much jam the same eras.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either brand honestly, and if im not mistaken the difference between the 1000 and the 1500 is just the Stainless and push in bar (which I personally cannot stand) on the 1500. the charvel has the 1000 and the Jackson of course has the Original Floyd and tbh they both stay in tune no matter what and feel the same in use, aside from the Jackson being top mount and the Charvel being recessed but it doesn't bother me.

That is nice...it looks like it is a USA model..do you like the pick ups? Neck...And if I may be so bold cost?

I prefer the Charvels for bolt ons and Jackson for neck throughs. Charvel usually puts a thick poly on their necks when they're neck through while Jacksons are typically satin finished. This isn't always the case though as there are some atrocious neck finishes on Jacksons too.

The plus side of Jackson are their odd shapes. I'm a proud King V owner myself.

Massive fan of both BUT.
MIM Charvels are about the best value guitars you can buy. Jackson you should just look at neck through from Japan or USA .There are quite a few of the new American Soloist SL3s around second hand mint. I would not buy a newer SL1 or 2 until they flip the truss rod (like the SL3). One of the screws barely holds the nut because it is drilled too close to the truss rod cavity. In the early 90s they switched from a Gibson style truss rod nut to a hex key and widened the rout under the nut. This undermines it and they always work loose.

Charvel's play like butter - the necks are amazing, I love 'em. Jackson's are nice too, no doubt, I just personally like the overall look, feel and tone of Charvel guitars a bit more. I have three, all from different regions (US, Jap, Mex) yet they're very consistent as far as build quality goes, at least mine are which I admit, it took some sampling before purchasing the best ones...but I landed on these and record with them often. Good luck!

Charvel-s.jpg

Charvel's play like butter - the necks are amazing, I love 'em. Jackson's are nice too, no doubt, I just personally like the overall look, feel and tone of Charvel guitars a bit more. I have three, all from different regions (US, Jap, Mex) yet they're very consistent as far as build quality goes, at least mine are which I admit, it took some sampling before purchasing the best ones...but I landed on these and record with them often. Good luck!

Charvel-s.jpg
Sorry for the off topic... the MIJ (wonderful axe!) has nickel or ss frets?

Speak of the devil! My 1st ever push-in trem arm - no more jiggly - now how the heck do I attach this frickin thing:

View attachment 127298
Take the floyd off the guitar and unbolt the hex key on the bottom of the arm mech. Remove the lower section and tap out the inner section from the back.You are then left with the hole and the old mech removed. Then remove the bolt from the new mech and push it through the hole in the baseplate from the top (making sure the little grub screw faces the back of trem for ease of access). Put the nut back and tighten from underneath.
Done.

Take the floyd off the guitar and unbolt the hex key on the bottom of the arm mech. Remove the lower section and tap out the inner section from the back.You are then left with the hole and the old mech removed. Then remove the bolt from the new mech and push it through the hole in the baseplate from the top (making sure the little grub screw faces the back of trem for ease of access). Put the nut back and tighten from underneath.
Done.
Thankyou sir

The only gatcha I've run into is to make sure the set screw on the new arm points outward for access. I'm also not sure how tight the bottom nut should be on the new arm. I've got it somewhere between snug and tight but was a bit fearfull of turning it beyond that - any advice ln the tightness of the bottom nut?

Back
Top Bottom