Bolt or Hotrod

• Total voters

gigawatt

Experienced
IT is time for a new (actually used but new to me) Jackson USA Select, been looking at King V's but nobody's selling anything cool, so I found a few RR1's that look worth while and won't totally break the bank. This Bolt is pretty cool lookin'. Usually the Bolt graphic wraps all around and is also on the sides, back, and neck, and more of a gray color. Personally I like the green better, and to me it's just a great looking guitar, and has some nostalgia too it. I guess the seller never invested in a proper stand for it... ya think?

First up; a 1991 Rhoads RR1 Bolted Steel graphic, Schaller trem, Jackson J90C bridge pickup, J50 neck (I think). A couple chips in the wing tips too...
nymxphcfsszmmfessa5x.jpg

fc5cjvwk6tph5nluy3tr.jpg

xj59fe7sww9hzdlnhogr.jpg

cz9mkuwmuyy8wic9dljq.jpg

qbw0ffubgdg453ojl1v8.jpg

And now for something completely different; a 2002 RR1 with Hotrod Flames and Bare Knuckle Nailbombs :D.

cnzupvima2hczxuxws8z.jpg

smv17evopsfn71oih6qq.jpg

hjz7ketr2qpadbumgvml.jpg

raronhgzytb7sef5ekxd.jpg

It's tough competition. This sassy little number sports some high output Bare Knuckle "Nailbombs." From what I've read they clean up very nicely with the volume knob, and have excellent clarity. All the pots and cap are Bare Knuckles too! As you can see this example is "minty." No chips in the paint whatsoever. The mother-of-pearl inlays look a little nicer on this one than the Bolt's, and Original Floyd Roses are a little better than the Schallers

Ok so I need some help, I can't decide which one to choose o_O. I should mention the Hotrod is $100 more, but it also has the Bare Knuckles, which I'm sure all you low output guys just love ;-)

Thank you very much and please answer the poll :).

I just found out you can click on the photos to enlarge them, but you'll need a 50 inch screen :eek:.

Last edited:
Out of the two RR1's I'd personally prefer bolted steel graphics. Those small chips may be easily fixed by a skillful luthier. You might like Jackson pickups, and it's pretty easy to change pickups anyway. And it's pre-Fender era Jackson, some people believe those older guitars are better than newer (post 2002) ones.
So, I'd recommend you to buy the guitar with the graphics you like better. Electronics are subject to change, but the paint job... not likely.

Wow, unanimously everyone's for the Bolt... Even though the Flame has the BN pickups and electronics? OK, you're helping my decision, but I'm afraid the Bolt may have too much fretware.

Last edited:
Out of the two RR1's I'd personally prefer bolted steel graphics. Those small chips may be easily fixed by a skillful luthier. You might like Jackson pickups, and it's pretty easy to change pickups anyway. And it's pre-Fender era Jackson, some people believe those older guitars are better than newer (post 2002) ones.
So, I'd recommend you to buy the guitar with the graphics you like better. Electronics are subject to change, but the paint job... not likely.

I asked the seller if the "Flame" is pre or post Fender and am waiting for a response. As for Jackson pickups, I've tried the J90C and J50 which I think is what the Bolt comes. They're not bad, the 90's a bit like the JB, maybe a tad mellower.

As for paint jobs, I had a silver sparkle changed to this:
ikeeyccvkvpo95vnppew.jpg

For $600! Now that's how you lay out ^^^ the controls on a Jackson ;) With the volume for the bridge right under the bridge pickup; EMG 81, the other is a push pull pot for coil tapping the 89. This is my all time favorite sounding "high end" Jackson out of about 30, including Soloists, RR's and King V's. It's very in your face, bright, clear, and cuts though a band mix like nobody's business. :D

Another thing I'd mention in the Hotrod's favor is the seller has been in constant contact since I first emailed him, and responds with paragraphs of explanations whereas the other guy is just sort of a "meh whatever." I'll try and ask him some more "open" ended questions if I can think of any. As for condition the listing for the Hotrod is "mint," for the Bolt "very good."

Edit. I just asked the seller of the Bolt what % of the frets are still there, and, to describe the sound, whether it be dark, bright, in your face, laid back, etc.

Crank up the drums
Crank out the bass
Crank up my Les Paul in your face

Geez, ya know I had to add "Les" to my dictionary? That's an abomination!

Oh crap, oh no, ruh roh, aww geez, !@#$%^&*()! They know where I am! and what guitars I'm interested in, who told? I'll find you!

http://www.songlyrics.com/sammy-hagar/there-s-only-one-way-to-rock-lyrics/

Beware!

:p

Last edited:
I like the bolt graphics better, too... But these guitars seem very prone to chips and breaks on the fins.

I recently saw a Jackson "Roswell" RR on Reverb that reminded me how cool those guitars look!

@gigawatt :D
I myself own RR1 built in Nov., 2002, plain black, no fancy graphics. Can't say for sure is it pre- or post Fender as it was just the time when FMIC purchased Jackson. I've tried some different pickup combos and ended up with Seymour Duncans SH-6n and TB-6. The guitar is definitely not dark at all, it has just the right amount of everything. Really love this guitar.

BTW, Jackson's typical control layout bothers me too. Several years ago I've ordered a custom control plate for my RR1, with the volume knob shifted towards the bridge, just like in your picture. It was really helpful mod. And I've installed push pull pot for coil tapping too. :p
Despite the fact that my 2002 RR1 is a great axe, out of those two I'd prefer the Bolt anyway. Definitely, the Hotrod graphics aren't my thing.

I have an 80's Jackson strat that I'm the original owner of and was my main guitar for a decade or more. I haven't kept track of Jackson or their line of guitars other than seeing them online here or there. So I don't know the quality of them over the years. Based on purely aesthetics, both guitars look awesome but that Flame one is screaming at me. A while back I had a nailbomb in the bridge of a guitar and really liked it for the heavier stuff. It wasn't too over the top and had a nice warm mid range to it.

I asked the seller if the "Flame" is pre or post Fender and am waiting for a response. As for Jackson pickups, I've tried the J90C and J50 which I think is what the Bolt comes. They're not bad, the 90's a bit like the JB, maybe a tad mellower.

As for paint jobs, I had a silver sparkle changed to this:
ikeeyccvkvpo95vnppew.jpg

For $600! Now that's how you lay out ^^^ the controls on a Jackson ;) With the volume for the bridge right under the bridge pickup; EMG 81, the other is a push pull pot for coil tapping the 89. This is my all time favorite sounding "high end" Jackson out of about 30, including Soloists, RR's and King V's. It's very in your face, bright, clear, and cuts though a band mix like nobody's business. :D

Another thing I'd mention in the Hotrod's favor is the seller has been in constant contact since I first emailed him, and responds with paragraphs of explanations whereas the other guy is just sort of a "meh whatever." I'll try and ask him some more "open" ended questions if I can think of any. As for condition the listing for the Hotrod is "mint," for the Bolt "very good."

Edit. I just asked the seller of the Bolt what % of the frets are still there, and, to describe the sound, whether it be dark, bright, in your face, laid back, etc.

Crank up the drums
Crank out the bass
Crank up my Les Paul in your face

Geez, ya know I had to add "Les" to my dictionary? That's an abomination!

Oh crap, oh no, ruh roh, aww geez, !@#$%^&*()! They know where I am! and what guitars I'm interested in, who told? I'll find you!

http://www.songlyrics.com/sammy-hagar/there-s-only-one-way-to-rock-lyrics/

Beware!

:p

It sounds like you've already made a decision.

Man, that Bolt made me wet my pants the first time I saw it back in the early 90s. Unfortunately it was out of my price range back then.

Hahaha! I know what you mean, good thing they have good adult "disposable" diapers for that now... I really like the Graveyard scene, but never seen one on a V, Pile 'O Skulls is cool too but hard to see on a dim stage. Had a Lightning Sky Rhoads that was my fav for quite a while, I sold it cuz I was wearing it out (dumb reason:oops::rolleyes:), uggh, WHY did I sell it? ...Oh yeah, cuz my 1st wife said if I want a new one I have to sell an old one to help pay for it. She's my ex now :p.

both guitars look awesome but that Flame one is screaming at me. A while back I had a nailbomb in the bridge of a guitar and really liked it for the heavier stuff. It wasn't too over the top and had a nice warm mid range to it.

A VOTE FOR THE FLAME! Ok then. How would you describe the Nailbomb as an all around pickup, and do they sound as good as their price $$$$? I met up with a guy from Milwaukee who bought my Jackson King V Pro Mustaine Sunburst and he absolutely swears by Bare Knuckles. The Mustaine I sold him had a George Lynch Screamin Demon in it, I had just put it in and it sounded like it was made for that guitar! (I wonder how Mustaine would feel about that?). Anyway, I'm really curious as too how good BN's sound, I mean, is it like previously having a blanked over your speakers? <<-- That is starting to sound cliche'. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-25_11-15-6.png
    upload_2018-6-25_11-15-6.png
    508.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
It sounds like you've already made a decision.

Nah not yet, I wish I would have last night that way I could possibly have it (the Bolt) by Friday. The Flame keep calling me though, I haven't had too many Jackson V's with no chips in the wings. Funny, the reason the Flame is in such nice condition is the seller was too afraid to play it in fear of damaging it, and only took it out of its case maybe once a month.

I could change the pups in the Bolt but since the divorce I don't have my tools anymore, except the multi tool that came with my Jem that's been a lifesaver :). THANK YOU IBANEZ!

So does it seem like I'm favoring the Bolt? well, I think I like the graphic better, but those Bare Knuckle pickups and all Bare Knuckles pots and eletronics, plus mint condition, are all good selling points for the Flamer. As long as peeps don't call me that. :mad:

Re from the sellers:
I had just sent him an auction for a USA Warrior Bolted Steel on eBay like a friend of his had, and strings, and guitars we have.

The bolted WR1 is exactly like the one my mate sold. A very nice guitar, but far too pointy - even for me! THey just seem unwieldly. I think the KV1 and RR1 are as pointy as i'd go!

My RR1 is running Ernie Ball paradigms, 009's - they are amazing strings. I won't use anything else! It's drop D - for death metal fun!

My guitars are as follows:
RR1 listed here
RR1 Eerie Des, Currently paying monthly) - hence selling hotrod flames - I'll put nailbombs in that.
Jackson SLX, neon pink, EMG 81, SLV, SLV, 18/9v switching, killpot - my main shredder!
jackson SLX, Slime green, EMG 81/85, 18/9v switching, killpot - will be bastardising to fit Line 6 Variax tech.
Jackson SL1 Soloist Eerie Des, EMG 81, S, SA, posh shredder - barely played, it - no time!
Charvel Model 6 Lava Crackle, my baby! EMG 81, SLV, SLV, 18/9v switching, killpot, floyd brass block.
Peavey V Type EXP, black, Dimarzio X2N, Sustainer, Death metal killing machine!
Peavey V Type EXP, Black, Lace deathbucker & Alumitone, Death metal killing machine!
Peavey V type EXP, white, Dimario Evo, Sustainer, mainstream metal axe
Peavey V Type EXP, white, Dimarzio Gravity Storms, mainstream metal axe

I'm running a Line6 Vetta 2 with 2x 4x12 cabs. An amazing amp! I can't fault it. It's so versetile i can't imagine using anything else!

I've not tried the Axe FX, but it is on my hitlist of future gear, along with a few more guitars. I'm not a collector or anything.

Crikey and MP1! I used to use thoose when i was full pro! They were hard to beat in their day!

I asked about Gravity Storm pickups, which he has in one of his guitars.

Oh, forgot to answer your question about the Dimarzios.

I like the hot tone of the evo. It's a well blananced powerful pickup. Ideal for mainstream metal. It's a little 'sloppy' as all Dimarios seem to be when compared to EMG 18v, Alumitones, etc. But i like it a lot.

I like the Gravity Storms a lot too, but for very different reasons. They aren't as hot, which i do miss a little. But they have a lovely warm tone that the Evo lacks. I also love the 'smoothness', that i haven't heard in anything else as yet. They are unmistakenly Vai. which is no bad thing.

I'm really enjoying my SLVs at moment. They are amazing pups running 18v. Think RacerX solo sound, or even Malmsteen's fat Fender sound. Very nice!

After I asked about pre or post Fender:

Hi Dave,

here is link to my Imgur account. All of my guitars are on there:

https://auricom1.imgur.com/

It seems the RR1 was manufactured during the Fender takeover. best guess is it was started pre Fender and finished post Fender. I did ask Grover, but he couldn't tell me for sure, neither could Fender. It's definitely a 2002 instrument though.

I don't know ho long the SLVs have been around, but i can tell you that they are an overwound SA, and sound phenominal!

I must admit to my not being a 'burst' fan - too antiquated for me! I prefer the really obnoxious, pink glitter look! Each to their own i guess?

All the best,

Mike

NOW. From the other guy after I asked about life left on the frets and how the Jackson pups sound.

Pretty much all of the life left. I can take picture, if you serious buyer.
Sound like any early 90s RR, a bit in your face for sure :)

8s3-92QR2Qt9lkKqYLtNLx0rlIXJT8NFNb8Z_90l5ybq8-AAscdYfVMGBrKtx0K-pTPmKfK37O0Qf-nxQR7_C8sKegYLXRqMFG4o70S-5LK9ugFDyn2FAsolqg1_cgVqwbcBTwoQeGTjxFXX6MqnofipB_xy3Piy8fcTMVenuOXYJRp1c-DmA-Ff5wb03V81=s0-d-e1-ft

Dmytro Vilyaykin

Can you guess which one goes with which guitar?

...and, anyone try those Ernie Ball Paradigms? ;-)

Flames all the way.

Hippietim, you're kidding, I bet you got em on your Harley ;-)

Ok get your voting punches out, I got another two to add to the list :D.

zsugrwcpmtahzolvh6nq.jpg

Or:
s-l1600.jpg

Life is full of too many important choices... :D I kid, I'm not spending $3300 for a guitar......... or am I ? o_Oo_Oo_O

Hippietim, you're kidding, I bet you got em on your Harley ;-)

Ok get your voting punches out, I got another two to add to the list :D.

zsugrwcpmtahzolvh6nq.jpg

Or:
s-l1600.jpg

Life is full of too many important choices... :D I kid, I'm not spending $3300 for a guitar......... or am I ? o_Oo_Oo_O
That sparkle green is amazing. I would get that over any graphic wrap.

Back
Top Bottom