It's time again: What new music are you listening to?

The last five guitar albums I listened to are probably Trevor Rabin's "Jacaranda", Neil Zaza's "Clyde the Cat", Peter Thorn's "Guitar Nerd", Jeff Loomis' "Plains of Oblivion" and John Petrucci's "Suspended Animation".

I do agree with the statement about music from the 70s - that era really was a high point for creativity and musicianship!

Just by chance I noticed that transciption book by Steve Vai of Zappa'a Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar.

So I pulled the book off my bookshelf and re-read the intro and skimmed through the transcriptions.

Then started re-listening to some of those tracks...

I had forgotten not only the wonderful insanity of the compositions, but the drop dead gorgeous tone that Frank had... that stuff is nuts will tone.

Richard

Here is a band I discovered the other day whilst looking for guitars with more than 24 frets. One of the band members had posted on a forum about his ESP Horizon 27 fret, so I checked the band out.

Australian band, Lord

Melvin Taylor and Eric Gales wow these guys are insane bloos dudes.and i dont even play blues

yes I think Eric Gales is one of the top 5 guitarists in his genre... Too bad he does not share the same spotlight like Bonamassa. He is a killer guitarist.. just listen " paralysed"... can' t believe this guy !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just happened to run into a YouTube video of the whole first Point Blank album (the one with just the shotgun double barrels on the cover). I forgot how good that was. Rusty and the guys were always cool with other musicians, and could play their butts off to boot.

Cool thread idea! I don't know why it took me this long to find it, and I've got some catching up to do!

Rush, Meshuggah, Periphery, and Animals as Leaders rocked my new album world last year. I was starting to wonder what was next...

Couple of groups that I listened to a lot, last year.

Glass Hammer
Features Axe-FX user David Walliman

Flying Colors

A few more that I've been listening to:

Gabe Dixon: No, not guitar music, but he writes great songs, and can absolutely kill on the keys:

I pulled a couple of 'raw' performances...show what the man is capable of:

When you're gone.
Gabe Dixon - Till You're Gone (Live in the Bing Lounge) - YouTube

'My Favorite' for the wife:
Gabe Dixon "My Favorite" Live at Room 5 - YouTube

Another that will gather scorn is Hunter Hayes. Pop Country kid, but he can THROW it on piano and guitar, and writes decent if not ground breaking songs. I give him a pass for the fact that he's written songs for Rascal Flatts, a few soundtracks, and is making his mark. The little shit is 22 years old. He's one to watch, since once he makes a few million on screaming girls, he'll get more adventurous (and has the talent to pull that off.) Doesn't hurt that one of his idols is Dan Huff (might have to search for that one if you're interested.

Watch the kid kick the acoustic here:
Hunter Hayes performs "Storm Warning" at the Grand Ole Opry - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom