It's time again: What new music are you listening to?

electronpirate

Axe-Master
What new Artists/Albums are twirling yer beanies these days?

I'll start:
-Rush - Clockwork Angels (this is the best record I've heard from them in decades...)
-Vintage Trouble (It's like Otis Redding with Jimi Hendrix and band as backup. AWESOME.)

As a side note, I find myself regressing back to music from the 60's and 70's. It seems the bar was just set higher for originality and musicianship. There are some very talented people playing now, but so very few that set themselves apart. Frankly, I've resisted for years to not get stodgy and restrict myself to rehashing older music, but its very difficult these days, as there is just SO much assorted crap out there. Maybe it's so corporatized that truly original artists never truly develop; 'you are what you eat' sort of way of thinking. I would have thought with the rise of the ability to record off of your computer, we'd see a rise of talented people we wouldn't normally see, but in my opinion, that has just not happened.

Ron

Same, actually. Saw Vintage Trouble open for The Who and immediately downloaded their album. And love Clockwork Angels.

Also listening to Lance Keltner's Mystic Redneck like crazy; if it were vinyl, I'd have worn it out!

I am actually listening to Clockwork Angels now. I still haven't listened to the whole thing and I have had it since it came out. So catching up on listening to albums I bought but didn't get around to listening to yet.

Just prior to that I listened to the Deep Purple 40th anniversary edition of Machine Head 2012 remix, and yesterday watched Cream at the Royal Albert Hall from 2005, most excellent.

Been jamming today on Red House, and Cream stuff mainly.

Most of the good newer stuff is by older bands or musicians I find. Perhaps there is stuff out there but where ?

Jill Hennessy - Ghost In My Head

Flotsam and Jetsam - The Cold (just released yesterday through Pledge Music)

Vintage Trouble are a cool band :)

A girl from norway. Susanne Sundfør is the best voice iv`e heard in years.

Rival Sons

Neurosis - Honor Found In Decay

Discovered this on YouTube recently and loved it. I downloaded it, but I'm on holiday at the moment and didn't bring it with me so I guess I have that waiting for after Xmas. Recently I was travelling and the only cd I had in the car was Visions by Haken. At first it seemed like a pretty well done Dream Theater knock off, but on repeated listenings I came to like it more and more.

Probably the "new" music I am listening to most actually has no guitar; the score for the new Total Recall movie. The movie itself was a bit disappointing, but the score was a good blend of traditional orchestral elements with some contemporary electronica (yes, it does wub a bit). Probably not so relevant on the Axe forum, but there it is.

The album that got the most spins isn't new, but the word still needs to be spread about Frost* so I'm going to cite the album Milliontown here ;)

Most anticipated: Finn Zerlinger Project (he of beyond twilight fame) and the new Queensrÿche album. First time in a long time I have been excited about that.

My top album picks for this year are:

Royal Thunder - CVI

Om - Advaitic Songs

High on Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis

Dr. John - Locked Down

The Milk. New band out of UK just put out their first album. Good stuff! Not shredder stuff but good songs.

+1 on Vintage Trouble

Right now I can't get Band of Skulls off of repeat. It's been really hitting the spot these days.

BTW, I love these threads. I always get turned onto something new thanks to the rest of you. :)

[Relatively] new music in the spinner as of late?
- Deftones (Koi No Yokan), absolutely fkn LOVE this new release!!
- Heavy Devy (Epicloud), pretty good stuff here...
- Misc others ie: Soundgarden, streaming AIC, etc.

Twelve Foot Ninja - Silent Machine
Lianne La Havas - Is your love big enoug?
Donald Fagen - Sunken Condos
Revocation - Teratogenesis

I'm also listening to a lot of stuff which is not "new" in the strict sense, but is new to me and I'm getting acquaintance with.

Twelve Foot Ninja - Silent Machine and their older stuff... brillant.. first cd was a little different, second cd they were finding their sound, third (Silent Machine) is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom