It possible to "DOUBLE" your guitar signal

stevehollx said:
I'd recommend splitting the signal and putting it through the delay before the amp block, so that you have two signals delayed slightly and heading to different amp blocks. The idea is to get the two sounds pretty different harmonically so that you won't have phasing issues.

Not sure that would make a difference. The fundamentals will always be the strongest, and any delay will cause interference and phasing. It really needs to be stereo to reduce / eliminate phasing issues.

Clark Kent said:
I'm interested in seeing how this turns out. This is FAS forum and this kind of childish behavior is starting to give me a negative attitude towards the product itself. 8 out of 10 of my posts seem to get this kind of meaningless attacks. Seriously... are all Axe-Fx users a**holes?

Pot calling the kettle black, don't you think?

Clark Kent said:
I'm interested in seeing how this turns out. This is FAS forum and this kind of childish behavior is starting to give me a negative attitude towards the product itself. 8 out of 10 of my posts seem to get this kind of meaningless attacks. Seriously... are all Axe-Fx users a**holes?

No were not... But when you post a statment like "at least I'm not an A**Hole" it doesn't do you any good and don't expect a warm and fuzzy welcome from users. Just because diggi didn't agree with your statment even if it was ment to be a joke doesn't mean it's ok to lash out with a personal attack, this is how the flaming starts. In a post like this I tend to ether ignore it or just simply define that I was joking and no harm no foul and he he still doesn't get it then thats his problem.

FWIW Your idea has merrit but and I would try setting the LFO to a randon pattern ;) .

I love it ! The subject and question was addressed and answered.

It's cool to play around after the fact !

So someone thinks you are not a genius, big deal ! I'm not good looking !

guittarzzan said:
I'd be very careful using the enhancer. Check it in mono and see if it goes to crap. When I was organizing all the presets, almost every crunch or high gain patch using the enhancer went to crap in mono. Most clubs' pa systems are usually running in mono and you might find your favorite preset giving you a hideous surprise at a gig.

Just my two cents.

Must be a stateside thing, I'm in Europe, and I have never seen a mono PA :?

I just got my Ultra last week, so not sure if this is a stock patch or not, but I found one in mine that has the signal split to 2 different amp blocks... 1 is a Recto Orange, the other is set to an Uber... they both have a drive inserted before the amp block , and a cab after... sounds *almost* like double-tracked guitars... pretty thick and SEXY !! ( the SOUND, i mean....)

I've used the chorus with mono capabilities tip for this.
I use a slight chorus panned hared left and the other channel panned hard right.
You can clearly hear that the centre of the stereo fields open.
It doesn't work in mono and when both channels are summed but when playing stereo it works.

The attached file is in an older firmware version but might give you some idea on how id do this.

[attachment=0:3mzh815z]04 - NewRecto Chorus.syx[/attachment:3mzh815z]

Attachments

• 04 - NewRecto Chorus.syx
    2 KB · Views: 10
Clark Kent said:
diggi said:
[quote="Clark Kent":qp8lp6fp] Damn... I'm a genius or something! :shock:

NO, YOU'RE NOT. :|

At least I'm not an a**hole...[/quote:qp8lp6fp]

Let's start with this. I don't think I'm a genius... I do think that my idea was good and worth a try. Stating "no you're not" is just being an asshole trying to take over the topic and getting personal attention in way like: I'm so cool because I'm a tough guy on the internet. It's pretty immature. Then me saying I'm not an asshole is self-irony. If I say that I'm not an asshole, you are... it makes me an asshole when I say that. Just like: I've been wrong once but I was mistaken. Ofcourse it's also immature to try to be a wise guy so I guess we're all losers here.

NO, WE'RE NOT. :|

MisterE said:
I use a slight chorus panned hared left and the other channel panned hard right.
It doesn't work in mono and when both channels are summed but when playing stereo it works.

The attached file is in an older firmware version but might give you some idea on how id do this.

Chorus has the same/similar effect as detune so it should work just nice. They we need an LFO changing a short delay... I tried this with the delay block and my Axe started making weird digital sounds. :) How about using a phaser for this?

We should have a random generator attached to both pitch and delay.
Isn't a chorus an sinus attached to both pitch and delay?
But if we could take it more random instead of a sinus and be able to set the maximum of delay and pitch we would be able to get more realistic sounding doublers.
Anyhoo, this works quite fine if used in stereo and you clearly get a guitar on either side of the stereo field, and when bypassing the chorus, the guitar shifts to the centre.
This works good for opening up the stereo field for centring the vocals for instance.

Clark Kent said:
MisterE said:

Chorus has the same/similar effect as detune so it should work just nice. They we need an LFO changing a short delay... I tried this with the delay block and my Axe started making weird digital sounds. :) How about using a phaser for this?

If you want to do an LFO on the delay you need to constrain the delay time tightly and keep it slow. That will keep it from glitching.

As far as delay time, between 1-40ms gives you what is called the Hass effect. That means that the sound will not be perceived as an echo. Too short, you get comb filtering problems. Too long you hear it as a slap back. Between 9-30 usually works out well. It really depends on the 2 tones.

You can use delay, chorus, or flanger for this easily. They are all variations of delays. Flanger has the greatest granularity but only goes to 10ms. Chorus has medium granularity w/ a delay time up to 50ms. If you does want the LFO effecting delay time on the chorus or flanger, turn the depth down to 0. IMO the Chorus is the easiest to work with, but you can get some pretty cool thing going on w/ the flanger.

Panning the delayed effect (whether delay, chorus, flanger) and dry effect hard L/R really helps (provided you are running stereo). Using 2 different tones for the dry and delay (100% mix) also help with comb filtering issues and can fill out the sonic spectrum.

Be aware, as has been noted, that what sound great in stereo can sound dreadful in mono. Even if the PA is stereo, if the room isn't set up for it right, the stereo field can collapse and you essentially get mono.

MisterE said:
We should have a random generator attached to both pitch and delay.
Isn't a chorus an sinus attached to both pitch and delay?
But if we could take it more random instead of a sinus and be able to set the maximum of delay and pitch we would be able to get more realistic sounding doublers.
Anyhoo, this works quite fine if used in stereo and you clearly get a guitar on either side of the stereo field, and when bypassing the chorus, the guitar shifts to the centre.
This works good for opening up the stereo field for centring the vocals for instance.

There is a random lfo. You can attach it to pitch or delay.

I tried delay with LFO but it played everything backwards... why? :D

Anyways I made a patch that has the doubling effect and it works. The left side is just what you're playing but the right side goes through a Chorus, Phaser and a 7ms delay. I'll try a flanger too hoping to make sound even more like real doubling. ATM it seems to work just nicely! It still doesn't make me a genius. :lol:

Just for grins I'd tried using the auto-tune in the pitch block to see what would happen and, when bending strings in particular, it would sort of do that doubling thing. You might play around with that along with the other suggestions and see if it adds to the effect. i don't think I tweaked it much from the original settings.

tonygtr said:
guittarzzan said:
I'd be very careful using the enhancer. Check it in mono and see if it goes to crap. When I was organizing all the presets, almost every crunch or high gain patch using the enhancer went to crap in mono. Most clubs' pa systems are usually running in mono and you might find your favorite preset giving you a hideous surprise at a gig.

Just my two cents.

Must be a stateside thing, I'm in Europe, and I have never seen a mono PA :?

Although most PA is stereo when I mix live audio I avoid hard panning as as most of you audience isn't in an ideal listening position. If your going straight to the board and using FRFR you may well end up with a mono monitoring system. Delayed signals or the enhancer can then start to sound weird through the monitors. Funny enough I've just been building some patches that have a wider stereo image or double tracked feel and I'm having some success using two different amps and cabs at once hard panned. I have a mono monitoring system, the stereo field doesn't sound as wide out front but it's pretty good and the phase issues are reduced in the monitoring system.

TBurst Std said:
Thoughts on the best way to accomplish this in a mono environment?

Many guitarists over the ages have used detune or chorus.

Detune (4-12 cts) or chorus (depth low or off, high mix, delay 9-35 ms). If the depth is off you don't have to worry about the rate.

javajunkie said:
TBurst Std said:

Detune (4-12 cts) or chorus (depth low or off, high mix, delay 9-35 ms). If the depth is off you don't have to worry about the rate.

If the depth is off, isn't it just a regular delay?

tonygtr said:
javajunkie said:
TBurst Std said:

If the depth is off, isn't it just a regular delay?

Yep, with more granularity in delay time and no feedback. Basically the same w/ flanging (even finer granularity, + feedback, etc)

Back
Top Bottom