issues using FM3 into Mark V head

knick

hi Forum,

Fractal FNG here. I just got an FM3 which I'm TRYING to use with my Mesa Mark V 35 head, but having poor results. I've troubleshooting and I have searched this forum a ton, and read everything I can find on this forum on the subject, so my apologies if this is covered somewhere already I just couldn't find it.

My goal at this time is not to use the FM3 modeling but just to use the 4 cable method so that i can use some effects (drive, wah) into the Mesa preamp, then another chain of effects (reverbs, delays, etc) via the head's FX loop between the pre and power amps in the head. I've followed the setup for 4CM to the letter including th Audio Setup step and it's just not working. It sounds to me like I'm skipping over the head's preamp section entirely, getting no Mark tone, as well as the head's Master volume not working. Not sure what I've done wrong. All cables are known to be good, head's FX loop known to work.

I've also tried just using the FM3 just as an effect processor in the Mesa FX loop ("POST" in the setup guide) and get similarly poor results. No tone, no master.

I know this is likely my error in setup but if there is something more within the FM3 I need to tweak, well I can't seem to figure out what that is.
Can anybody with more experience using an FM3 + tube amp as I've described above point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to getting this dialed in, but so far, no dice!

Cheers!
Nick

Super simple chain here, no amps
(do amps and cabs need to be bypassed or removed?)

Attachments

• 20210220_134329.jpg
    20210220_134329.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 28
dammit, got it ... different outputs.
thank you guys.

edit: holy smokes this is amazing! :) thanks again @Hubertus and @Admin M@ ! NOW I'm hearing what I was after!!!!!
I have about 2-3 hours in playing with the FM3, time to dig into block & effect editing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom