is this possible....stereo panning issue

fsharpminor

Inspired
here is what I am trying to do. Just moving from the fm3 to fm9 and moving from a mono guitar to stereo. One of the gigs i do regularly the FOH engineer likes to place me stage right in the stereo field. This was easy when everything was in mono and as the guitar and all effects were mono, everything just moved over to the right. I want to do this in the fm9 but keep the effects in true stereo as I want to take advantage of ping pong delays etc.....ie place the dry guitar signal to stage right, while keeping the stereo effects in true stereo....so the ping pong delays go all the way over from left to right?

thanks for the help......

Last edited:
How about designing your preset to give you the panning you need? Than FOH can just set you up hard left and hard right.

Off the top of my head, you want to make sure you're panning your Cab block.

Depending on your presets you may also need to adjust the Balance in the Amp block.

Even if you have your preset set up for full stereo, if the FOH guy pans your stereo track over to one side or the other, it will affect your stereo image in your effects. Depending on the pan law of the board, that might mean combining the two channels to some degree towards one side or just losing part of one of them. Most common is a balance control which turns down the channel opposite the side toward which you pan. The only way to keep full separation in your stereo image is for the FOH guy to leave your track panned center.

Even if you have your preset set up for full stereo, if the FOH guy pans your stereo track over to one side or the other, it will affect your stereo image in your effects. Depending on the pan law of the board, that might mean combining the two channels to some degree towards one side or just losing part of one of them. Most common is a balance control which turns down the channel opposite the side toward which you pan. The only way to keep full separation in your stereo image is for the FOH guy to leave your track panned center.
If the FOH is getting a stereo input to 2 channels, I think panning them hard L/R (along with a properly created preset) as Rex said is the way to do it.

Unless you're meaning FOH has a "linked" pair of inputs, in which case I agree. That's how we run our digital IEM rig.

Edit:

Actually, we run a mix of both. For Fractal, each device has 2 channels so each member controls panning of others as they see fit for their personal mix. For things like stereo toms or cymbals from the drums, it is a linked stereo channel...

In recording mixes, I have had good results panning stereo tracks to a side by putting their left and right channels on either side of where the mono track was going to be panned.

Example: Mono track at +27 (partway right on a -63 <-- 0 --> +64 scale)? Stereo tracks at 0 and +54 will give the same apparent location, but still give the stereoness of the thing a bit of room to move....

Back
Top Bottom