Is this layout possible with FC-12 and Axe FX III?

I'm trying to set up a layout on my FC-12 to function kind of like a pedalboard. With some added capability. NOTE: I know that this seems like I just don't know how to set up scenes, but I don't want to use scenes for this layout because in scenes I believe each block HAS to have a designated engaged or bypassed setting. For effects like delays and verbs especially I often want those to stay in their current states.

I want 1 switch to be a "clean" button - to disengage any drives and to engage a compressor and chorus.
I want a 2nd switch to be a "drive" sound - to disengage compressor and chorus and engage drive 1.
I want the 3rd switch to be a "lead" sound - to disengage compressor and chorus and engage drive 1 and drive 2. (I realize I might just have to copy my first drive to another slot and use drive 2 and drive 3 to accomplish this since the 2nd switch might be linked to drive 1)

Then for wet effects:
1 switch to engage delay 1 and bypass delay 2.
1 switch to bypass delay 1 and engage delay 2.
And then the same for 2 reverbs.

Is it possible to set up my gain stages and wet effects this way with the FC-12 without using scenes? For me this would be such a powerful setup. Thanks in advance for helping me out guys!

you can assign the Bypass parameter to various Control Switches, then put those Control Switches on the FC. note that once it's attached to a certain CS, that's the only way to bypass/engage the block.

i understand your view on Scenes, but just be sure you can't do what you want with all of the Scenes available. it is the easier way to do things.

you might need to use Scenes for the Clean, Drive and Lead sounds, then setup the CS like i suggested for the Delay and Reverbs. save the Scenes with those effects off, then the CS can turn them on. so change scenes for tones, add the wet as needed.

Last edited:
you can assign the Bypass parameter to various Control Switches, then put those Control Switches on the FC. note that once it's attached to a certain CS, that's the only way to bypass/engage the block.

i understand your view on Scenes, but just be sure you can't do what you want with all of the Scenes available. it is the easier way to do things.

Each block's bypass parameter can only be controlled by 1 control switch? That makes it seem like I can't control the drives and compressor the way I want to.

Each block's bypass parameter can only be controlled by 1 control switch? That makes it seem like I can't control the drives and compressor the way I want to.
yeah. that's why you may need to use scenes for those items. since comp and cho are only on with Clean, that could work.

scenes are the intended way to turn multiple things on/off, which is why there aren't many other ways to do it. try Scenes for the 3 tones and CS for the delay and verb.

for your situation I would recommend using scenes to set up your gain stages.
maybe something like:
Scn1 clean
Scn2 clean + chorus + comp
Scn4 grit
Scn5 dist
Scn6 lead

and then use control switches to bypass delays and reverbs. If you set up your delays using two control switches that are in a mutually exclusive group you can easily switch between one delay and the other or bypass both!

Just to say it, I don't think I would approach a setup this way... BUT, part of the elegance of the unit is just how flexible it can be.

You have 4 mixer blocks that can each have 4 channels. You probably could have row 1 be your clean (A), row 2 be your drive (B) and row 3 be your lead (combo of B and C?), set Mixer block channels A, B, C up (for your desired mix of distortions on channel C or just add another drive on row 3), then use FC12 buttons to change the channels on the mixer.

Problem - assume drive is before your amp, this also puts chorus before the amp, so stereo is lost unless you use 2 amps (input left and input right) and pan... can also be very cool and can really widen your sound

Same for your wet effects - use another mixer block and channels for delays and reverbs, or any mix combination.

There's probably 4 or 5 other ways to do this as well. I would use scenes, but all of my CS are dedicated for midi control so I may not be able to do exactly what you are looking for in my set up. Sure would love to have more CS to use... just sayin...

Mix Setup.jpg

Just to say it, I don't think I would approach a setup this way... BUT, part of the elegance of the unit is just how flexible it can be.

You have 4 mixer blocks that can each have 4 channels. You probably could have row 1 be your clean (A), row 2 be your drive (B) and row 3 be your lead (combo of B and C?), set Mixer block channels A, B, C up (for your desired mix of distortions on channel C or just add another drive on row 3), then use FC12 buttons to change the channels on the mixer.

Problem - assume drive is before your amp, this also puts chorus before the amp, so stereo is lost unless you use 2 amps (input left and input right) and pan... can also be very cool and can really widen your sound

Same for your wet effects - use another mixer block and channels for delays and reverbs, or any mix combination.

There's probably 4 or 5 other ways to do this as well. I would use scenes, but all of my CS are dedicated for midi control so I may not be able to do exactly what you are looking for in my set up. Sure would love to have more CS to use... just sayin...

View attachment 61149
great example. many ways to do things, and with such a large grid, stuff like this is possible.

One thing to keep in mind with using the mixer like that is that it will cut off delay tails. That could be desirable in some situations and non desirable in others.

I'm trying to set up a layout on my FC-12 to function kind of like a pedalboard. With some added capability. NOTE: I know that this seems like I just don't know how to set up scenes, but I don't want to use scenes for this layout because in scenes I believe each block HAS to have a designated engaged or bypassed setting. For effects like delays and verbs especially I often want those to stay in their current states.

I want 1 switch to be a "clean" button - to disengage any drives and to engage a compressor and chorus.
I want a 2nd switch to be a "drive" sound - to disengage compressor and chorus and engage drive 1.
I want the 3rd switch to be a "lead" sound - to disengage compressor and chorus and engage drive 1 and drive 2. (I realize I might just have to copy my first drive to another slot and use drive 2 and drive 3 to accomplish this since the 2nd switch might be linked to drive 1)

Then for wet effects:
1 switch to engage delay 1 and bypass delay 2.
1 switch to bypass delay 1 and engage delay 2.
And then the same for 2 reverbs.

Is it possible to set up my gain stages and wet effects this way with the FC-12 without using scenes? For me this would be such a powerful setup. Thanks in advance for helping me out guys!
It sounds like a combination of scenes and control switches would be perfect for what you want to do.

Set up Clean, Drive and Lead to be individual scenes named “Clean,” “Drive,” and “Lead.” Then assign Delay1 and Delay2 to a control switch. Set up their modifiers so one is bypassed when the other is engaged. Then assign Reverb1 and Reverb2 to another control switch in the same way.

One thing to keep in mind with using the mixer like that is that it will cut off delay tails. That could be desirable in some situations and non desirable in others.
Good point - using mixer and channels is an A/B kind of change, so no tails from the prior block.

But - be advised you are never 'bypassing' a block so (for example) if you go from a 1/4 delay to a dotted 1/4, it will start using the new delay from the prior signal immediately on channel change. Is a kind of a spill-over, but using the delay you are changing to, not the one you came from.

Another option if you have an expression pedal is to morph from one to the other, instead of channels. Set one to be 100% at toe down, the other to be 100% at heel down.

Last, and easiest! - for your delay 1 and 2, maybe just use channel A and B on delay block and toggle them on FC 12. Same for reverb. You mentioned using two switches for these - should work fine. Mixer could change Rev1 and Del1 to Rev2 and Del2 with one switch - doesn't sound like what you are after.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom