Is this for real?

I'm not sure.....I mean it doesn't have any other info with it?
I mean if you mean the playing, its very good, but i don't know if those "frets" and fingers would be making clean sweeps like that??
anything besides that video? I don't have IG so I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing here

It's real. A friend of mine is into microtonal guitars, and he has a few with Ron Sword necks, although they don't have the wacky staggered frets like the one in the video does. (More like 17 or 19 frets per octave.) The microtonal guys seem to have as much fun with the mathematics involved as they do actually playing. Try as I might, I just don't like the sound of microtonal stuff. It's like playing intentionally out of tune to me. YMMV

It's real. A friend of mine is into microtonal guitars, and he has a few with Ron Sword necks, although they don't have the wacky staggered frets like the one in the video does. (More like 17 or 19 frets per octave.) The microtonal guys seem to have as much fun with the mathematics involved as they do actually playing. Try as I might, I just don't like the sound of microtonal stuff. It's like playing intentionally out of tune to me. YMMV

The classics are classics for a reason. And this is also why the vast majority of successful music is relatively straightforward simple music. You can make incredibly complex music, with every musician in their tempo, shredding microtonally, but as far as the general public is concerned that sort of stuff falls into the same category as Yoko Ono's singing.

The classics are classics for a reason. And this is also why the vast majority of successful music is relatively straightforward simple music. You can make incredibly complex music, with every musician in their tempo, shredding microtonally, but as far as the general public is concerned that sort of stuff falls into the same category as Yoko Ono's singing.
This. As much as I love prog, jazz, jam bands, etc I still want it to have some semblance of melody and flow. While I love odd time signatures, they also need to feel natural. The Supper's Ready 9/8 jam, Take Five, Money, Estimated Prophet, etc all bring the emotion and carry you through the song.

Maybe I'd like it if the guy played something melodic instead of just shredding - for example classical Indian music like ragas that are microtonal. It's great that somebody can play that guitar but it's the equivalent of math-prog. A song that goes 13/8,9/8,7/4,13/8,4/2,7/8 obviously takes serious talent but just leaves me cold. I'm a good timekeeper but if I have to think about the time signature when I play something then I've lost the narrative.

it's weird that he has that neck and still uses (somewhat) familiar sweep patterns. they also sound familiar if you've listened to a lot of shred stuff!?

Back
Top Bottom