Is this an example of phase problems or something else?

6stringscott

Inspired
My setup: Axe FX II XL, connected to 2 Atomic CLRs on poles. I sit/stand in the middle facing them.

I've noticed across different patches, that the volume level gets squirrely sometimes- it will be stable for some length of time and then suddenly pan back and forth a bit. It's not sinusoidal when it pans- more of an arbitrary/random thing flopping back and forth with usually at least a second before flopping back and forth. It almost sounds like a scene change with a level readjustment. It's not super-dramatic like a bad cable, but it is very noticeable when it happens.

It's not tied to a particular patch, or amp model, or even setting of my input (Left only, L+R summed, Stereo). It happens in simple patches where I have no weird delays, chorus, flange, etc.

It might be tied to multiple cabs. I do get sucked into the "more is better" mentality and trying to do 2 stereo cabs sometimes. Am I wrong in assuming that a cab phasing related problem would sound fairly consistent and periodic (e.g with a repeating pattern of phase shifts)?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Am I wrong in assuming that a cab phasing related problem would sound fairly consistent and periodic (e.g with a repeating pattern of phase shifts)?
You are correct in assuming that.

What happens when you listen to only one output at a time (right vs. left)? Do both channels change level, or just one?

I won't be able to upload a preset until Tuesday. I haven't tried listening to just one monitor to see if it goes away... Good idea to see if it's destructive interference from the signals coming out of two physical speakers. It doesn't seem like that though- I don't notice it change in correlation with my side to side movement between the speakers. Will test that too and report back on Tues or Wed. I'll also test with headphones.

This is a very timely thread. I just got my Axe FX II XL+ about three weeks ago and so far have only played it through headphones. A few hours ago I connected a pair of powered Behringher Truth B2031 speakers using the 1/4" jacks and played loud. Inconsistently but annoyingly, the output occasionally pans by itself just for a second or two and then returns to stereo centre. I was worried my speakers were at fault (they haven't been used for about 6 months) and swapped them around, changed cables but the problem remains. Pretty much exactly the problem described by 6stringscott. It only happens occasionally; I can play for 10 minutes just fine then it shifts and comes back to centre. I think it's always shifting to the right. I have to pay more attention and play a bit longer!

I have not had any issues with headphones; no random output panning. This has got to be an issue with the unbalanced Output 1. I plan to buy a pair of XLR cables and try the balanced Output 1 jacks instead and will report back.

FYI: just a week ago I uploaded the latest update 3.7.2 without issue. Chris: what would uploading a preset prove?

Last edited:
Just gave it a go; first I left everything as was and just did not switch on my right speaker. This was a mess; the output to the one (left) working speaker was all over the place but mostly low or dead. I then unplugged the right Output one jack so only had the one speaker running from Output 1 left and all is good; consistent output, no problems.

Last edited:
I should note that the manual states that the Output 1 left channel is to be used for direct connect to an amp which is why I picked this source.

Just gave it a go; first I left everything as was and just did not switch on my right speaker. This was a mess; the volume from the one (left) working speaker was all over the place but mostly low or dead. I then unplugged the right Output one jack so only had the one speaker running from Output 1 left and all is good; consistent volume, no problems.
Reseat the connectors on your left cable. If the problem persists, contact Fractal support.

I've been playing stereo for 20 minutes no problems then suddenly the output panned right completely and stayed there for about two minutes. I flipped through a few presets but the problem remained then suddenly the left speaker came back. I was trying to use a pair of headphones to see if they were also dead on the left but the powered speaker volume made it impossible to tell.

Last edited:
No one to borrow XLR cables from so $60 later I have a happy set-up. I've been playing the Axe FX II XL+ through the Behringers via XLR cables for about an hour and there has been no problem with the output panning. The problem clearly lies in the Output 1 1/4" jacks. I can live with it for now but would still like a solution so I guess I need to discuss this with Technical Help and will report back.

Many thanks to the contributors to this thread.

Maybe you could swap the left and right speakers/cables/jacks to see if the problem lies in the Axe-Fx or downstream from it.

I was very busy last night; swapped cables, used different cables, routed left to left right to right, cleaned cables with electric switch cleaner, checked the continuity of my cables... I really did try very hard to find a problem with something else. The Axe FX is new and running the latest update. I just sent a report into Tech Help so let's see if something comes back. I reread 6stringscott's original starting note; he mentions "volume" panning but I think we have the same problem; it's the output panning and hence "volume"; there's either sound or no sound.

I know it might be a long shot, but quite some time ago I had a similar problem and it turned out that the brand of jack cable I was using was moulded a little differently near the jack plug. This meant that it wasn't quite making a good contact.
The difference when measured against another brand was only 1mm but it was enough to result in a poor contact.

Were all the jack cables you used the same brand?

Hi Shenks: I started with a matched pair of short, identical, 36" cables and thought that one of them must have been broken so I replaced it with a longer cable and all was OK initially but then the random output problems started. I played for about two hours last night with my new XLRs without issue. I should state that I take great care of my cables; always carefully coiled and put away after use; no kinks or twists.

Ok no worries... I just thought it might be worth a shot. In my case I too thought I had a defective jack socket but the solution was much cheaper.

Hope you pinpoint the cause 100% and resolve it but keep us posted as to progress...

An update: I've been playing through XLR cables for over a week without issue. The Fractal Audio technical guys have been in contact with me and a few days ago I received a memo with an RMA number for return of my Axe FX for inspection and repair. Before putting it back in the box, I retried the 1/4" jack outputs with the same cables as used before and now all's well. I played for hours last night and again tonight and the Axe FX is working fine. As stated earlier, my cables are always clean and carefully coiled and put away. I checked them with a multimeter and could not find a fault.

The good news is my Axe FX seems to be fine now. I guess this issue will remain a mystery. Thanks to all that have participated in this thread and I hope that 6stringscott works out his problem.

Back
Top Bottom