Is There A Way To Tone Match A Preset With Two Amp Blocks?

Brian Greco

Inspired
Hello again,

Last night, I was attempting to TM a preset that I had made, with two amp blocks. Again, I have to do this so I can post my presets to Axe-Change due to the fact that we cannot use third-party IR’s. This leaves me in a bit of a bind because I use third-party impulse responses a good amount of the time.

Yes, it’s been brought to my attention that I can look through the stock IR’s to find something similar, but that is not only a long and tedious process (at least for me), but I am not really going to end up with the same tone in the end, even if I retweak.

It was late last night when I was doing this, but I was trying to think of a way around the fact that you can only use one TM block at a time. I attempted to tone match one amp at a time in my preset. I saved the tone matched block in my cab section in hopes that it would now be it’s own cab, freeing up another TM block. Not a very good strategy. Perhaps I was doing it wrong, I don’t know.

This is something that is extremely important to me. As I said, I have some good presets that I would like to share with the community, but I would need to find ways around certain software restrictions that will allow me to do what I want to do.

I hope this makes sense, and I thank you in advance to those who reply

I'm a bit confused by your several tone match related posts.

If you created a preset with a 3rd party IR and you are then attempting to tone match that to get the same results without the 3rd party IR, the only difference would be the cab block.

And if you (effectively) tone match that difference and then export the TM as an IR, you are essentially "cloning" the 3rd party IR. I think this would still qualify as redistributing the IR.

Hey Unix-Guy,

Thanks for the reply.

That stinks. I just wasn’t sure about the LeGall Ites of the whole thing. Yes, I guess it doesn’t make much of a difference then if I’m tone matching one of my presets with a 3rd party IR.

I think that my original logic was that people TM guitarists all the time and incorporate that into their own presets. I see that my logic is definitely flawed . The only other alternative I know then is to go the tedious route and try to find stock impulse responses that are hopefully close to the ones that I purchased. Hopefully, too much tweaking won’t be involved after that, but we’ll see.

Thanks very much for your comments and your guidance.

Brian
I'm a bit confused by your several tone match related posts.

If you created a preset with a 3rd party IR and you are then attempting to tone match that to get the same results without the 3rd party IR, the only difference would be the cab block.

And if you (effectively) tone match that difference and then export the TM as an IR, you are essentially "cloning" the 3rd party IR. I think this would still qualify as redistributing the IR.

Hi boardwalk17,

I’m sorry I am a little confused by your response, but I’m hoping it’s what I think it is.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but are you saying that I CAN post my own presets with 3rd party IR’s on Axe-Change as long as I mention which third-party IR(s) I used in the description? Or did I miss construe what you were saying?

No, just post the preset. the Cab block will point to the User Cab slot number that you are using, but it won't contain the IR itself (unless you export it as a 'Preset/Cab Bundle'... So don't do that).

When it is imported to another machine, it will still use the same User Cab slot number, no mater what is currently there. It will be up to that person to import the recommended Commercial IR into that slot, or change the slot number in the Cab block to any other slot that the IR may already be in if already purchased.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but are you saying that I CAN post my own presets with 3rd party IR’s on Axe-Change as long as I mention which third-party IR(s) I used in the description?

No, you can't. You can post the preset without the commercial IR, but you can't include it with the preset. You can mention which IR you used to create the preset in the description so people will know which one to download, though.

No, just post the preset. the Cab block will point to the User Cab slot number that you are using, but it won't contain the IR itself (unless you export it as a 'Preset/Cab Bundle'... So don't do that).

When it is imported to another machine, it will still use the same User Cab slot number, no mater what is currently there. It will be up to that person to import the recommended Commercial IR into that slot, or change the slot number in the Cab block to any other slot that the IR may already be in if already purchased.
Moke and Jason,

I would just like to thank you guys for taking the time to help me understand this particular process. I have so many tones that I have made. I wish I could share them with the community as they are, but if they don’t have the proper impulse responses they’re not going get that same tone. This is the paradigm though. At least I’m having a blast doing it every step of the way. This is the paradigm now, at least I’m having a blast doing it.

Hi Moke,
I am always looking for new presets, and I have heard that you make them. Could you leave me a link so I can preview some of them?

Thanks,
Brian

Your best bet is to go ahead and find a stock IR that is as close to the commercial IR that you are using, that way people can get a good approximation of the preset. Then also make a note of the Commercial IR you used to create the patch with. You’d be surprised at how many people own a ton of IR’s. Plus, they also might have a bunch of other IR’s they’d like to try in the place of the one you used that might work better for their rig/setup. Ya have to keep in mind, presets rarely ever transfer perfectly from rig to rig.. you’re almost always going to need some amount of fine tuning.

Your best bet is to go ahead and find a stock IR that is as close to the commercial IR that you are using, that way people can get a good approximation of the preset. Then also make a note of the Commercial IR you used to create the patch with. You’d be surprised at how many people own a ton of IR’s. Plus, they also might have a bunch of other IR’s they’d like to try in the place of the one you used that might work better for their rig/setup. Ya have to keep in mind, presets rarely ever transfer perfectly from rig to rig.. you’re almost always going to need some amount of fine tuning.
Hi Perdikament.
That’s the advice I’ve been getting. I actually started last not sifting through the stock cabs to find the best matches possible...talk about tedious. These are the moments where I wish they named allcabs and amps by their real names so I didn’t have to refer to the wiki list. As far as putting the 3rd party IR’s in the description, that is something I will definitely do. That was suggested to me as well.

It would be a great thing if a preset sounded just as we made them when someone else downloads them. However, they still might want to tweak them. lol

Thanks for taking the time to post your suggestions. Much appreciated

Hi Perdikament.
That’s the advice I’ve been getting. I actually started last not sifting through the stock cabs to find the best matches possible...talk about tedious. These are the moments where I wish they named allcabs and amps by their real names so I didn’t have to refer to the wiki list. As far as putting the 3rd party IR’s in the description, that is something I will definitely do. That was suggested to me as well.

It would be a great thing if a preset sounded just as we made them when someone else downloads them. However, they still might want to tweak them. lol

Thanks for taking the time to post your suggestions. Much appreciated
Hey, one thing I think you’ll find as you go along if you start to really delve into the whole IR/Cab Block thing is you will learn a whole lot about all the different Speaker types & names & mics. At first it’s kind of a foreign language just cause the model numbers of the Speakers aren’t easily recognizable right off the bat. But in all honesty there really aren’t that many of them & there is somewhat of a rhyme & reason to them within each manufacturer. It takes a little bit of time to familiarize yourself with it all but not as long as you would initially think and their sonic fingerprints. Same goes for the mics. So you’ll be able to pick out the stock cabs pretty quickly after not too long and believe it or not you’ll get to the point where you’ll get a real good idea what combos of speakers/mic & mic position combos should be complimentary to each other.

Hey, one thing I think you’ll find as you go along if you start to really delve into the whole IR/Cab Block thing is you will learn a whole lot about all the different Speaker types & names & mics. At first it’s kind of a foreign language just cause the model numbers of the Speakers aren’t easily recognizable right off the bat. But in all honesty there really aren’t that many of them & there is somewhat of a rhyme & reason to them within each manufacturer. It takes a little bit of time to familiarize yourself with it all but not as long as you would initially think and their sonic fingerprints. Same goes for the mics. So you’ll be able to pick out the stock cabs pretty quickly after not too long and believe it or not you’ll get to the point where you’ll get a real good idea what combos of speakers/mic & mic position combos should be complimentary to each other.
Hey Perikament,
Thanks for the advice. I continue to look at the models and cab emulations on the wiki pages just to see what they really are. Sometimes I blindly go through the stock amps and cabinets trying to match the right ones. Or at least, ones that sound good together. I know the whole thins is going take a while, but I’m up for the challenge. As far as the mics go, I’ve been using them quite often. Sometimes I use them to enhance the sound and sometimes I use them to actually change the sound. You’re right, there aren’t an infinite amount of amp and cabs, so in time I’m sure I will learn what goes with what over time.

In the meantime, I’m really enjoying making my own tones and exploring the various parameters of the amps. I’ve gotten some good results delving in deep rather than just staying with the basics.

Thanks again and I will continue to work with the stock material, matching them as best I can. However, I do enjoy my third-party I IRs. I’ve been able to make some great tones with them.

Back
Top Bottom