Is there a way to disable dynacabs from loading on FM3 if I'm not using them

I'm on 7.00 and am thinking of upgrading to 8.00. I tried the Dynacabs for a bit and found that I wasn't able to get them to sound right on the unit. The thing about them is that they seem like something I'd much rather use OFF the unit, like in Cab Lab in a DAW. If I'm making tweaks on the unit, it's to make things sound "good enough" for a headphone mix or a live gig. I generally disable the cab block anyway and mix the IRs in my DAW. I just don't need these things. However they add about 20-30 seconds to my boot time, which is annoying. Might not sound like much but sometimes I have an idea in my head and really want to get it out, in that instance mere seconds matter. Is there a way I can disable these things from loading at startup without downgrading. Ironically I installed the dynacabs incorrecty when upgrading to 7.00 and it did seem to boot faster. It would boot right up with a message of "Dynacabs not installed" and I troubleshot it using the guide and got it working....adding 20-30 seconds to my boot time. Could I downgrade to 6.00, then upgrade to 7.00 and 8.00 without installing the dynacabs and just live with that error message? Or am I stuck with them on my unit?

If a patch cable fails and it takes me 5 minutes to diagnose and fix "while the audience stares at me", I'm not gonna go complaining to the cable manufacturer for a redesign. If a power spike hits my amp and blows the fuse, knocking me out of the gig and hurting my feelings, I'm not gonna go to the amp manufacturer and ask them to go about things differently. This is what boot time complaints sound like to me.

If a piece of your own equipment isn't the issue to begin with (or more likely, poor CPU management or cheaply-made/ill-fitting IECs) then your issue is with a venue delivering inconsistent/dirty power, and you should take up your complaints with them and get compensated according to the terms in your contract. Also, have a contract.

Many of my colleagues over the years have switched to modeling systems and I have yet to hear any of them levy a "boot time too long during live show" complaint. It simply isn't happening to working professionals. And to address a straw-man from the post you linked, I don't agree that FAS is insensitive to the desires of users when they increase functionality, it's just that the time it takes to cycle the power on the unit is not a performance function that needs to be optimized for.

I suspect such users would similarly complain if Dynacabs increased the boot time from 3 seconds to 6.

Last edited:
I don’t know about downgrading to an earlier firmware but I do know that I just upgraded from FW 6 to FW 8 and I purposely didn’t install dynacabs. The only downside is I have to click exit on the warning message that appears when the FM3 boots up. Other than that I’m still getting all of the features of FW8. So I know it’s possible to have an FM3 with FW8 and no dynacabs. I’m just not sure about the downgrading process you might have to go through. Hope this helps!

If a patch cable fails and it takes me 5 minutes to diagnose and fix "while the audience stares at me", I'm not gonna go complaining to the cable manufacturer for a redesign. If a power spike hits my amp and blows the fuse, knocking me out of the gig and hurting my feelings, I'm not gonna go to the amp manufacturer and ask them to go about things differently. This is what boot time complaints sound like to me.

If a piece of your own equipment isn't the issue to begin with (or more likely, poor CPU management or cheaply-made/ill-fitting IECs) then your issue is with a venue delivering inconsistent/dirty power, and you should take up your complaints with them and get compensated according to the terms in your contract. Also, have a contract.

Many of my colleagues over the years have switched to modeling systems and I have yet to hear any of them levy a "boot time too long during live show" complaint. It simply isn't happening to working professionals. And to address a straw-man from the post you linked, I don't agree that FAS is insensitive to the desires of users when they increase functionality, it's just that the time it takes to cycle the power on the unit is not a performance function that needs to be optimized for.

I suspect such users would similarly complain if Dynacabs increased the boot time from 3 seconds to 6.

Yeah, I'm with you. As for trainwrecks that can happen on gigs that eat up time, the 45-second bootup isn't one of them. If one wanted to complain about anything about the bootup process, it should be about the popping noises.

Totally disagree as any live performance device should be able to boot as quickly as possible within reason, and the booting time saved for those not using Dyna-Cabs live would be welcomed by all live performance players who've had a crash on stage (which includes me).

Bypassing the Dyna-Cab decompression and loading should be an option at boot-time, say hold a button while powering on and the Dyna-Cabs don't decompress and load (noting that implementing this feature the user would be expected to understand why their Dyna-Cab presets won't work correctly etc!), so that way you can have the Dyna-Cabs active, or if using Cab Lab 4's IR's, other IR's, or an external Cab Sim you can have the Dyna-Cabs deactivated for quicker crash rebooting during live performance.

I want to see the video where a band has only 30-45 seconds to load gear onstage and begin playing but the band can’t start because Dyna-Cabs are still loading.

Normally, it is the drummer that eats up time because that cymbal needs to be moved .00001 cm. 😀

I want to see the video where a band has only 30-45 seconds to load gear onstage and begin playing but the band can’t start because Dyna-Cabs are still loading.

Normally, it is the drummer that eats up time because that cymbal needs to be moved .00001 cm. 😀
The problem is recovering from a crash mid-show...

The problem is recovering from a crash mid-show...
Hopefully, the lead vocalist has some good verbal skills to fill 45 seconds.

Why is your FM3 crashing is the bigger issue.

For the OP, stating “mere seconds matter” - I take it your computer is on, your monitors are on, any other gear is plugged in and on, but the FM3 is not on and that is why you lose the idea in your head?

I don’t know about downgrading to an earlier firmware but I do know that I just upgraded from FW 6 to FW 8 and I purposely didn’t install dynacabs. The only downside is I have to click exit on the warning message that appears when the FM3 boots up. Other than that I’m still getting all of the features of FW8. So I know it’s possible to have an FM3 with FW8 and no dynacabs. I’m just not sure about the downgrading process you might have to go through. Hope this helps!

Seriously it will work this way? Interesting. I might try it but the boot time doesn’t bug me. I’d be ok without the DC I’m still using my regulars.

Hopefully, the lead vocalist has some good verbal skills to fill 45 seconds.

Why is your FM3 crashing is the bigger issue.

For the OP, stating “mere seconds matter” - I take it your computer is on, your monitors are on, any other gear is plugged in and on, but the FM3 is not on and that is why you lose the idea in your head?
Any computer can crash for any number of reasons including random CPU spikes, bugs, intermittently bad power, etc.

My FM3 has crashed only twice on stage (peak CPU in the low 70's), and it's busier than most seeing it's being automated by Ableton LIVE and controlling the same, with multiple modifiers and controllers in use.

That's not bad really over 100 plus gigs, though my Axe II never crashed ever over many more gigs than that. So, why wait for the Dyna-Cabs if they're not being used during live performance?

I've worked on some design teams for computer oriented keyboard sampling instruments, and boot time was an important feature which drove OS choices.

Anyways, it can be implemented where only those playing live and desire a minimized boot time can access it, while those who don't won't have to do anything different, a win - win.

Last edited:
Any computer can crash for any number of reasons including random CPU spikes, bugs, intermittently bad power, etc.

My FM3 has crashed only twice on stage (peak CPU in the low 70's), and it's busier than most seeing it's being automated by Ableton LIVE and controlling the same, with multiple modifiers and controllers in use.

That's not bad really over 100 plus gigs, though my Axe II never crashed ever over many more gigs than that. So, why wait for the Dyna-Cabs if they're not being used during live performance?

I've worked on some design teams for computer oriented keyboard sampling instruments, and boot time was an important feature which drove OS choices.

Anyways, it can be implemented where only those playing live and desire a minimized boot time can access it, while those who don't won't have to do anything different, a win - win.
Looks like you have extra layers in your setup. Does Ableton add any CPU to the FM3?

I just have the FM3, Exp Pedal, and External two-button switch. I do have a few control switches that activate depending on scene. Many gigs without any issues.

Can't you revert back to the initial FW that included Dyna-Cabs and choose Dyna-Cabs to not be loaded/stored? Then do that for the latest FW as well? Thought was an option but not certain.

Last edited:
Looks like you have extra layers in your setup. Does Ableton add any CPU to the FM3?

I just have the FM3, Exp Pedal, and External two-button switch. I do have a few control switches that activate depending on scene. Many gigs without any issues.

Can't you revert back to the initial FW that included Dyna-Cabs and choose Dyna-Cabs to not be loaded/stored? Then do that for the latest FW as well? Thought was an option but not certain.
No, Ableton LIVE is our show computer which provides teleprompter, guitar and bass automation, guitar looper, vocal FX, drum samples, DMX, and backing tracks.

It provides no CPU to the FM3, but LIVE does automate it via MIDI, while the FM3 via MIDI controls LIVE's looper plugin and session looper.

Many of us want the option to disable the Dyna-Cabs only for live performance, as we use them for studio, rehearsal, and sound design etc.

Last edited:
Totally disagree as any live performance device should be able to boot as quickly as possible within reason, and the booting time saved for those not using Dyna-Cabs live would be welcomed by all live performance players who've had a crash on stage (which includes me).

Frankly, if you're playing a gig where being down for 45-seconds in the rare event a crash happens is going to be a trainwreck or cause you undue stress, then you need to have a standby rig that you can A/B switch over to where you'll only miss a quarter or half note.

If you can live with a 25-second bootup in a rare event situation, then you can live with a 45-second bootup. If not, you need an active standby rig. Fortunately, that's quite inexpensive to do with this platform.

Back
Top Bottom