Is there a way of changing the range of gain in the Drive block?

Been seeing videos of the 1981 DRV, which is apparently based on a Rat but with 1/20 of the gain available.

Trying to emulate it in the Axe, but I can't think how I might emulate the range of gain within that pedal.

Any ideas? This might just be stupidity on my part, but I can't do it.

I've found a couple different schematics for it. Doesn't look like it has much different gain. Pre-distortion shaping is different.

The Drive block includes a graphic EQ which can be set to Pre... No need for a separate EQ ;)

Unfortunately I'm not seeing the pre/post setting on FM3 so that may not have made the cut down. Commenting mostly because I went to say the same but checked on FM3 edit and didn't see it.

Unfortunately I'm not seeing the pre/post setting on FM3 so that may not have made the cut down. Commenting mostly because I went to say the same but checked on FM3 edit and didn't see it.
Ah, maybe that was added in the Axe Fx Drive revamp... Manual says it's on the Tone page but I'm sure you probably checked?

If not, then yeah, no help :(

Too funny! I already have the 1981 DRV, and just put it on my board as a low gain "preamp". It's pretty transparent with the gain all the way down.

Been seeing videos of the 1981 DRV, which is apparently based on a Rat but with 1/20 of the gain available.

Trying to emulate it in the Axe, but I can't think how I might emulate the range of gain within that pedal.

Any ideas? This might just be stupidity on my part, but I can't do it.
I own the 1981 and have owned a Rat before. I can confirm there is NO difference in the gain amounts. The one thing that the 1981 gives you, as has been mentioned previously, is the ability to do the clean/low gain boost that the Rat never could pull off in its stock form. Just found out this was added a few nights ago, so I need to sit down with it in the Axe to see how it shapes up with the real pedal ..... but there should be no difference in the amount of gain that's available.

I never tried a 1981 drive, but can confirm that the Fractal model sounds just like a modified (and much improved) Rat 2. The Fractal Rat model shares all the benefits (and inadequacies) of my old Rat 2 as well. You will enjoy sitting down and playing with these...

Liam

Back
Top Bottom