Is there a suggested Cab list somehwere?

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
All real amps are voiced for particular cabs/speakers it is very time consuming to sample all the cabs either included or 3rd party.
It would be awesome to have a 'Suggested cab' list at least for the ones included! Is there one or a wiki for that including the # where it's located @yek ?

I’ve never really heard of “all” real amps being voiced for a particular speaker....

what was my 65 baseman voiced for ? I used it with a 4x12 greenback cab and it sounded fantastic....

was the jcm 2204 I had meant for v30’s ? I missed the memo....

Point being, there are no rules. You want a 100 watt amp through a 6” cab... you can do it. You want a Fender Champ through a mix of a 4x12 and a 1x15, you can do it.

That info is from 2016 and still isn't really what I am looking for. Anyone else tired of wasting your time searching for the right IR??
The included cabs in the Fm3 seem to have a lot more! I'm not looking for the exact matched cab but perhaps a here's 3-5 suggested ones as a starting point?

Also don’t forget, probably half the speaker threads I see are folks asking about swapping the factory speaker....
Does it matter what a Deluxe shipped with or what people liked ?

fender probably just used what they got cheap, not what was the best speaker size or type lol

That info is from 2016 and still isn't really what I am looking for. Anyone else tired of wasting your time searching for the right IR??
What info? Yek's guide? It's still accurate...

What is the "right IR"? I can't tell you what your ears want to hear and vice versa. There is no magic bullet.

For me, I've found a couple IRs that work together well for everything I do. I've done that 3-4 times since 2013. So over my history of 7 years, I've managed to make 8 IRs cover all my needs.

To expand on what I'm saying, the EVH heads sound horrid with V-30's unless your deaf and need an in ice pick in the forehead tone to cut.
In contrast the head is voiced for a G 12 EVH and sounds fantastic with them! I have a 4x12 real EVH cab it sounds amazing with my real 50w and 15 w EVH heads.

Mezzabarba heads are fairly bright and sound bad with V-30's as well. A darker voiced amp like the PRS Tremonti will sound better with a v-30 speaker bringing out some of the mids.

Back on topic -it would be great to have a streamlined 'here's 5 cabs that sound great with this head' list. Maybe too much to ask?

To expand on what I'm saying, the EVH heads sound horrid with V-30's unless your deaf and need an in ice pick in the forehead tone to cut.
In contrast the head is voiced for a G 12 EVH and sounds fantastic with them! I have a 4x12 real EVH cab it sounds amazing with my real 50w and 15 w EVH heads.

Mezzabarba heads are fairly bright and sound bad with V-30's as well. A darker voiced amp like the PRS Tremonti will sound better with a v-30 speaker bringing out some of the mids.

Back on topic -it would be great to have a streamlined 'here's 5 cabs that sound great with this head' list. Maybe too much to ask?
I think that's a very broad overstatement.

IRs are not speakers. They're a capture of a mic placed in a given position on a given speaker in a given cabinet.

The same speaker can produce many sounds depending on the cabinet it's in and which mic is used and which position and placemen of the mic.

Also, my understanding is there are something like 5-6 variants of V30s with different tonal characteristics...

As close as I can find From the Wiki:
EVH 5150 / PVH 6160
049 — 4x12 PVH 6160 (RW) — “Older model Peavey 5150 4x12 cabinet loaded with four Sheffield 1200 speakers”
107 — 4x12 PVH6160 MIX — EVH 5150 cabinet
124 — 4x12 5153 MIX #1 — 4x12 EVH 5150 III cabinet, mixed microphones, UltraRes (Cab Pack 14)
125 — 4x12 5153 MIX #2 — 4x12 EVH 5150 III cabinet, mixed microphones, UltraRes (Cab Pack 14)
160 — 4x12 5153 121 G — 4x12 EVH 5150 III cabinet, Royer 121, UltraRes (Cab Pack 14). Specifically intended to be used in mixes in the box
161 — 4x12 5153 4047 G — 4x12 EVH 5150 III cabinet, Audio-Technica AT4047, UltraRes (Cab Pack 14). Specifically intended to be used in mixes in the box
162 — 4x12 5153 57 C — 4x12 EVH 5150 III cabinet, Shure SM57, UltraRes (Cab Pack 14). Specifically intended to be used in mixes in the box

Does this mean I need to buy Cab pack 14??? Has to be more current cab packs or are those now in the FM3?

Thanks!

@unix-guy I fully agree, can you tell me what amps and tones your going for and what IR's you use?
I am currently using 2 IRs from the ML Legends pack. Both are of a G12H30 55 speaker, one with an M160 mic and one with an SM57.

There's another pair that I have been playing with recently that is a G12H30 mix and a G12M25 mix from the York Audio Matchless pack.

Previously I was using a factory G12H30 with a free AC30 IR using an SM58... Don't have the details handy at the moment.

Before that I used a Fane IR from Ownhammer with the previously mentioned AC30 IR.

I play a lot of "dirty clean"... Edge of breakup. And a lots of lead stuff that's something between Eric Johnson and Satriani.

Does this mean I need to buy Cab pack 14??? Has to be more current cab packs or are those now in the FM3?
I just checked the PDF version of the Amp Guide and I noticed for the 5153 the recommendations are actually showing non-factory IRs from several cab packs.

I thought all the individual write-ups only recommended factory IRs (though for Axe Fx II and AX8, the same IRs are in the Axe Fx III and FM3 Legacy bank).

For anyone who hasn't seen it, this wiki page is a life saver.
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cabinet_models_list

It doesn't have suggested cabs per amp but at least it gives you more information about models and an easier way to browse and get familiar with the list.

I'd also like to add if you are feeling overwhelmed at the cab list. Dig into the legacy section. There's nothing wrong with them just because they are older. Also a lot of them are mixes so you don't have to try pairing IRs of different mics and second guessing things. Wanna mess around with an Orange or other random amp quick an easy but not sure which cab to use? Grab the legacy mix to get things started.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom