Is there a problem with my Axe-FX?

bigswifty

Inspired
Sorry if this is the wrong sub-forum.

Problem:

So this buzzing in the right monitor had occurred a few times before, but recently began happening more and more often.

I first thought the monitor maybe had a solder joint come loose inside. To test that I swapped monitors.
The buzzing noise then began coming from the other monitor, now connected to the right side.

I thought this might mean that the XLR cable connecting my monitor to the Axe FX was faulty.
I went to the local music shop and bought a replacement.

After playing for about 10 minutes tonight the problem has not gone away and that leads me to believe that the issue might lie with the Axe FX's R Balanced output.

Has anyone had this issue before?
What can I do?

G'day Dbroz,
Do any of the red leds on the AXE FX flash?
Also - Doesn't it sound like the guitar lead is not plugged into a guitar, and a noise gate is pulling the buzz in & out.... What is connected up?
Thanks
Pauly

Last edited:
Try this:

Keep everything connected as it is, but physically swap the positions of your monitors. Do this without swapping any electrical connections. Take note of which monitor has the buzz after you've relocated them.

Thanks for the input so far, I appreciate it!

Hello pauly,

Nothing on the front plate of the Axe-FX flashes when this happens.
It occurs both when the guitar and patch cable are plugged into the input on the front and when nothing is plugged into the front.

Hi Rex,

Great idea. I have just tried this and the monitor (now on the left side) that was connected to the Balanced Right out on the Axe-FX back panel was still the one with the buzz issue.
I fear this might mean that it is the Axe-FX's output causing the problem?

Hey slinky005,

I have never experienced this buzz through my headphones (plugged into the front headphone jack on the Axe-FX).

Hi Rex,

Great idea. I have just tried this and the monitor (now on the left side) that was connected to the Balanced Right out on the Axe-FX back panel was still the one with the buzz issue.
I fear this might mean that it is the Axe-FX's output causing the problem?
We can't rule out that possibility, but if that were the case, I'd expect the headphone output to have the same problem.

In your video, it sounds like electromagnetic interference. The fact that it fades in and out suggests that it's near the threshold of your noise gate.

Open up the noise gate all the way, and see whether the interference comes on and stays. Then unplug your guitar and see what happens.

We can't rule out that possibility, but if that were the case, I'd expect the headphone output to have the same problem.

In your video, it sounds like electromagnetic interference. The fact that it fades in and out suggests that it's near the threshold of your noise gate.

Open up the noise gate all the way, and see whether the interference comes on and stays. Then unplug your guitar and see what happens.

Do you mean a global gate or a block in a selected patch?

I'll note that this occurs regardless of patch, gate (block) or no gate, and regardless of whether the guitar is plugged into the Axe or not.

In my last post I think I noted that I unplugged the guitar from the Axe-FX mid-buzz, and it continued to make the noise.

Also if this were an electrical interference issue involving a noise gate threshold, how would it be that only one speaker behaves in this way?

I'm not trying to shoot down your idea, I'm just relaying some thoughts as I'm at work and unable to test right now!

With the above information, there's one more thing to try before contacting Fractal support.

The noise in the video sounds very much like electromagnetic interference that's being amplified. Consider the possibility that one of the cables to your monitors is passing close to a strong source of interference, which is then being amplified by your active monitor. Try placing your monitors in a completely different part of the room, and routing your patch cords along a completely different path. If that changes the results, then there's probably interference getting into your patch cord.

Not necessarily. If the fault is with the output jack connection rather than the AFX tone generation then it wont be replicated from the headphone out.

Try connecting the speakers to the Jack (as opposed to XLR) connection which would prove or rule out the actual connector. You could also confirm/try connecting to output 2 as well.

Okay, the XLR cable originally fell to the floor and along the ground toward the Axe-FX, passing close enough to touch the powerbar that houses my computer/computer monitor plugs etc. I figured maybe that was causing some kind of feedback, so when the buzz kicked in I lifted the cable away from that and.. still buzz. Besides that, the path is clear.

Not necessarily. If the fault is with the output jack connection rather than the AFX tone generation then it wont be replicated from the headphone out.

Try connecting the speakers to the Jack (as opposed to XLR) connection which would prove or rule out the actual connector. You could also confirm/try connecting to output 2 as well.

Output 1 and Output 2 1/4" jacks are both "UNBALANCED".
I only have two XLR to 1/4" BALANCED cables..

Last thing I'll note is that my studio is located close to the breaker panel for the house.
Everything is properly grounded, but I've always had thoughts about location (I don't really have another option, though).
This buzzing issue has never been a problem for the last 3-4 years, however, and just started becoming an issue in the last few months.

Okay, the XLR cable originally fell to the floor and along the ground toward the Axe-FX, passing close enough to touch the powerbar that houses my computer/computer monitor plugs etc. I figured maybe that was causing some kind of feedback, so when the buzz kicked in I lifted the cable away from that and.. still buzz. Besides that, the path is clear.
Thanks for running that test. It helps, but it's incomplete.

Can you try, at least for a moment, relocating the speakers and rerouting the cables to the new location? That will determine whether there is interference getting int the cable or the monitor. Of all the things in a typical studio or office that could cause this kind of interference, power circuits are among the least likely culprits.

Output 1 and Output 2 1/4" jacks are both "UNBALANCED".
I only have two XLR to 1/4" BALANCED cables..

They are yes, but plugging your monitors into those is the only way to rule out the connectors themselves. You only need to switch the connection that has the noise. Though not ideal, you could use a standard guitar cable for the test. Wont hurt with the signal levels, and your only ruling the noise source in or out.

You can run stereo cables (balanced) rather than mono (unbalanced) as well for the test, though you need jacks at the AFX end.

I'm almost certain that it is the R "BALANCED" Output on the back panel.

The buzzing started to fade in today and so I reached around the back and touched the XLR sitting in its slot, and the buzz started to cut in and out like it was losing/gaining signal.

Would this be a simple fix or something I should be contacting Fractal over?

I had a similar experience...not so strong buzz as you...but still very annoying.
Never had a problem before. The buzz just started one day.
Found out that it came out from some electric problem in the house.
I had 2 units mounted together in a rack. These units were plugged into two different power outlets.
I found out that the 2 outlets came from different power phases (220V europe).
I took a socket strip and connected both units to the same power source....problem solved.
Afterwards i had an electrician that made some fixes. Dont know exactly what he did, but now i can connect my equipment everywhere again.

Cheers

The buzzing started to fade in today and so I reached around the back and touched the XLR sitting in its slot, and the buzz started to cut in and out like it was losing/gaining signal.
What is your ground lift switch set to?

Would this be a simple fix or something I should be contacting Fractal over?
We can't judge what the fix will be until we narrow down the possibilities. There are a few suggestions above that you haven't tried:

- Relocating both the speakers and the cables;

- Dropping the noise gate threshold all the way down;

- Trying the 1/4" unbalanced outputs.

If it turns out to be the Axe's output, Fractal support is your best source to tell you how simple or complex the fix is.

Back
Top Bottom