Is there a preset for a Sitar/

To make the guitar sound like a sitar? Or to use WITH a sitar? Doesnt matter, there is neither=)

Thing is, without a hex pickup, variax-type technology or sampling, there's not much you can do to get a "real" sitar sound with a guitar. I've heard different units and pedals try, but I have NEVER heard a good sitar sound without using any of the previously mentioned techniques. I've in fact experimented a little myself with different effects and controllers & modifiers, no luck.

IMO, the best way to get such sounds with guitar is to get a GK and a VG-99.

Well, considering I heard a Axe-Fx patch very recently by someone who did a stellar job of making a guitar sound like a violin (like really close), I'm sure it's possible.
Just need to find someone who's awesome at programming patches.
I'm certain someone must be up for the challenge.

soularflair said:
Well, considering I heard a Axe-Fx patch very recently by someone who did a stellar job of making a guitar sound like a violin (like really close), I'm sure it's possible.
Just need to find someone who's awesome at programming patches.
I'm certain someone must be up for the challenge.

That"s why I asked the question? I saw the same video on You Tube.

danielodland said:
Gonna check that out. If it in fact sounds "stellar", I'm relly interested in knowing what he did =)

He used that acoustic IR I found awhile back and used a synth to emulate the violin.

You can get a sitarish (note the ish :) ) sound by using a flanger (depth at 0) or resonator and some thing like a ADSR connected to a volume block (to cut the sustain down)

It won't sound exactly like a sitar but it will have some of the qualities.

Are you going for the Bear McReary version of Watchtower? A buddy of mine covers that tune and used an autowah effect on his POD to help simulate a sitar. If you triggered a wah with the Fractal's ADSR, you could probably get closer.

Ï've tried wahs, formants, flangers, filters with a lot of modifier/controller experimenting. I can't get close. If you consider stuff like the Sitar Swami close, yes, you'll probably get there. I just dont think that sounds like a sitar at all.

Please prove me wrong, I'd love a sitar preset.

danielodland said:
Ï've tried wahs, formants, flangers, filters with a lot of modifier/controller experimenting. I can't get close. If you consider stuff like the Sitar Swami close, yes, you'll probably get there. I just dont think that sounds like a sitar at all.

Please prove me wrong, I'd love a sitar preset.

That really is probably as close as you are going to get.

are we talking real deal droning strings sitar sound.... or "wherever i may roam" intro sitar sound ?

Isnt there some kind of device you can put on your guitar to make it sound like a sitar? SOmetimes when I play with a clean sound and just noodle around, Im able to achieve that strange sitar-ish sound when playing something wrong...experiment with playing a clean note and slightly touching the vibrating string here and there...should be a device, with the ease of use of a capo =) dont get me wrong, Ive never seen such a thing, just thinking loudly here..

http://alix-spawn.net/download/Indira%27s%20voices.ogg
Mixed around 1999 on a old MDF4.
At this time, I was using a GT-5.
Feedbacker effect is used at start to simulate a sampura.
I "sitarished" my clean sound with a delay with around 97% of feedback and a short delay time (2 to 8ms if I remember well).
A Wah-rocker by Guyatone was used post delay to make the sound "miawing" ;).

I'm sure that is not really closer to a real sitar, I know that because I've one from New Delhi since 4 years ago, so, now, I can compare :p .

After composing that sample, I replaced my GT-5 by a GT-Pro that contain some kind of useful sitarish effects. I wasn't really convinced by Sitarsim effect but combined to Defretter, delay (as told before) and a few auto-wah, and also, played from a fretless guitar, that was really interesting. ;)...

I don't have any clip of its tone, but it sounds better than the one I linked on top of this post.

Also, using the delay like that is making a few "auto-oscillation" problems. In fact, combination of a short delay time and high amount of feedback is creating a frequency resonance that varying with the delay-time setting. So, it's necessary to tweak those two parameters in phase with the tonality of the song you play.

Spawn-X said:
Also, using the delay like that is making a few "auto-oscillation" problems. In fact, combination of a short delay time and high amount of feedback is creating a frequency resonance that varying with the delay-time setting. So, it's necessary to tweak those two parameters in phase with the tonality of the song you play.
To be more explicit, the delay-time in this case generate a root note:
12ms = E
11ms = ¼ step between F and F#
10ms = G
9 ms = A
8 ms = B
7 ms = ¼ step between C# and D
6 ms = E 1oct higher than 12ms
5 ms = G 1oct higher than 10ms
4 ms = B 1oct higher than 8ms
3 ms = ¼ step between E and F but 1oct higher than 6ms
Etc...

If you can use a digital delay that may set delay time by steps of micro-seconds, you can obtain every notes you need.

I posted a thread a while back about sympathic string simulation on the AxeFX. Didn't get much feedback but from listening to that Wild Mushroom clip I'd say there's definitely possibility. Seeming sympathetic strings are tuned to notes activated as natural harmonics when the played strings are plucked/bowed theres really very little reason to believe that cannot be synthetically simulated somehow.

Fler said:
I posted a thread a while back about sympathic string simulation on the AxeFX. Didn't get much feedback but from listening to that Wild Mushroom clip I'd say there's definitely possibility. Seeming sympathetic strings are tuned to notes activated as natural harmonics when the played strings are plucked/bowed theres really very little reason to believe that cannot be synthetically simulated somehow.
I just thing another tip.
I'll try that.
Using the delay as I told before, but, add much delay blocks.
At the time I recorded the clip linked upper, I just have a GT-5, and no other units capable of delay.
But, now I got an Ultra, I can combine over of one only delay block, so, I think it's possible to turn the sympathetic-ish strongly.

Back
Top Bottom