Is the Axe-Fx III well suited for two guitars at the same time?

Fellow Chapman Stick player here ( newbie on the stick)
For Clean sounds I have had success with using the SV Bass Amp ( Amp SVT) into a cab block with a 4x10 BassGuy and 1x15 SV Bass IRs for the Bass side of the stick. Treble side of the stick I use the CA3+Clean with a 1x12 Deluxe Verb and 2x12 Class-A NTB 30W IRs.

This is my bread and butter practice setup - many other amps / cabs sound great as well...

Happy Tapping once your "stick wait" is over :)

Here are a few basics from sessions I've done with heavy stickists.

To use two amp blocks, isolate the two outputs of the stick by connecting to two different inputs --- OR, use one stereo input, then begin your preset with a pair of Volume blocks. Set one to INPUT SELECT: Left and the other to INPUT SELECT: Right

To have each chain address a different output, use the pan/balance controls in the output block, or, use different output blocks.

For a REALLY clean, neutral channel, try the TUBE PRE amp model with no cab or the TOTALLY FLAT cab (Factory 2, 2048). Other amps work well with no cab too. For broad tonal control instead of a cab, try a parametric EQ after the amp.

Don't be afraid to be heavy handed with amp knob settings. Try the full range and dial in what works.

Use compression before the amp to bring out the attack. Use compression after the amp to keep overall levels balanced. Output compression in the amp block can also serve.

Have fun,

To use two amp blocks, isolate the two outputs of the stick by connecting to two different inputs --- OR, use one stereo input, then begin your preset with a pair of Volume blocks. Set one to INPUT SELECT: Left and the other to INPUT SELECT: Right

To have each chain address a different output, use the pan/balance controls in the output block, or, use different output blocks.

For a REALLY clean, neutral channel, try the TUBE PRE amp model with no cab or the TOTALLY FLAT cab (Factory 2, 2048). Other amps work well with no cab too. For broad tonal control instead of a cab, try a parametric EQ after the amp.

Don't be afraid to be heavy handed with amp knob settings. Try the full range and dial in what works.

Use compression before the amp to bring out the attack. Use compression after the amp to keep overall levels balanced. Output compression in the amp block can also serve.

Have fun,

Thank you curvedlight and admin m for sharing. I have been working on a stick rig for a while and will post when it is completed. -Larry

I did this with my band, Eater of Man, where both guitarists were going through one axe fx 2 XL. I had to switch the preset/scene for the both of us though with the FCB1010 on stage. Doable but I would prefer it if he gets his own one.

We are both going to receive our IIIs beginning of September

Have fun,
Thanks for this write up. Currently our band is running both guitars through a single Axe 3 and it is working great, but the compression and power amp tips make a lot of sense and I can't wait to try them out. Is there a compressor model that would be better in this situation? I would assume that the pedal compression is the one to use.

On a side note we just played a hardcore festival type gig where everyone shared the same back line equipment (Dual Rectifiers, Ampeg SVT), but I swapped the Rectos out for the Axe FX 3. I had quite a few people come up to us after and ask what the hell we were using since it sounded so dialed in.

Heck yeah.... You could even use two FC controllers and set each of them to access the the channel switching of just the amp, cab, and effects in their own signal chain.

I may setup a signal chain for me, my bass player, and my vocals?
I know this is an old post but i just got the axe fx 3 and I was experimenting this morning with 2 guitars running at the same time. No issues there using I/O 1 and 2. I wanted to add a bass guitar as well then realized I ran out of amps (only 2 available). Might be dumb question but can I share an amp/cab with the other guitarist and still route to different outputs so I can free up the amp for the bass? Im guessing I could just use a preamp as well for bass.

I've seen Cliff considering the idea of allowing more than two Amp blocks in the Axe 3.
So... There is a possibility, that in the future, the axe could connect three or four guitars at once, with the penalty of unaudible clarity loss...

I use electric (input 1) and acoustic (input 2) at the same time. Works great and I can have effects on my acoustic now.
I've seen Cliff considering the idea of allowing more than two Amp blocks in the Axe 3.
So... There is a possibility, that in the future, the axe could connect three or four guitars at once, with the penalty of unaudible clarity loss...
Any thoughts on my question about 2 guitarists sharing the amp block but routing out separate outputs to save the amp for bass? Does that even make sense. Maybe I am unrealistic. Was trying to route it correctly but input 1 was coming out of both input 1 and 2.

Any thoughts on my question about 2 guitarists sharing the amp block but routing out separate outputs

Yes you could use two inputs 1 & 2 with 3 for the bass. You could also use left and right options. I used the left and right option on the AX8, but didn't need to on the AxFx III.

Any thoughts on my question about 2 guitarists sharing the amp block but routing out separate outputs to save the amp for bass? Does that even make sense. Maybe I am unrealistic. Was trying to route it correctly but input 1 was coming out of both input 1 and 2.
You can't share the amp block. That will sound terrible.

Why couldn't you share a cleaner amp and on one path use a drive pedal (left) and on the second path leave it (right)? Or just share the amp and have different effects per line? I guess it would depend on what the two guitars objective was?

Yes you could use two inputs 1 & 2 with 3 for the bass. You could also use left and right options. I used the left and right option on the AX8, but didn't need to on the AxFx III.
To put it shortly, Amp blocks are completely mono I/O.
Connecting two guitars to one amp block would be the same as connecting two guitars through a real amp.
Instead of sounding like two guitars, that would sound like one twelve string guitar.... Which may be an interesting experiment maybe?...

...or just have the bass player go through some eq and/or drive type blocks and use an IR

I think Basses can sound pretty darn great without an amp, or even a cab.
And even during studio recording, in metal, lots of producers just go direct.
I mean, listen to some Tassaract bass. It sounds so natural an nice... And it's just the direct input...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Yes I initially just left it without an amp and cab...grabbed a drive pedal and went from there Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. All good. Wanted to shoot a video for my youtube channel to show some things that you can do in a live rehearsal environment. Eventually will experiment with some midi switching via pro tools with us 2 guitarists or I will switch everything with one FC when are released. Thanks everyone!

I know this is an old post but i just got the axe fx 3 and I was experimenting this morning with 2 guitars running at the same time. No issues there using I/O 1 and 2. I wanted to add a bass guitar as well then realized I ran out of amps (only 2 available). Might be dumb question but can I share an amp/cab with the other guitarist and still route to different outputs so I can free up the amp for the bass? Im guessing I could just use a preamp as well for bass.
For the Bass... I would use a Compressor block, Drive block (or 2), and the new IR Player block for the cab, maybe a Multi-Comp block too?

Back
Top Bottom