Is the Axe Fx II the best piece of guitar gear ever made?

Posts #2 and #3, this is exactly what I thought when I saw the thread topic :mrgreen

It is hands down the best piece of guitar gear I have ever bought...

/R
I'm with this. I can't say that it's the best ever because I just haven't touched everything out there, but I'd say that it's definitely in the conversation.

It's the most versatile piece thus far. It will be surpassed and eventually forgotten like most technology pieces. However, Cliff will be remembered as the guy that made that break through to evolve the multieffect.

Certainly blown away by the thing. Ironically when I was younger I remember being blown away by a unit called the "ax2 212". I think it was the first unit produced by what ultimately became Line 6. And about 15 years, Cliff has taken it to a whole new level. Best is hard and subjective. like saying who the best guitar player is, but I'm certainly glad I have one!

Great sounding which comes first.

But hands down the most versatile, problem solver for guitar players on the planet.
Live and studio use.
Has no weaknesses whatsoever, or at least the ways I have used it.

John

Would it not just be a box of air without around 4 decades worth of amps and fx which it models?

As a modeler/modeller ..... it's easily the best

Good question...

I can say that:

- I have no regrets for having invested in the Axe-FX II.

- I am surprised at how many people have sold their lot of tube-amps, etc. for the Axe-FX II.

- (Personally, I'd rather (and do) own both, (tube-amps and an Axe-FX II) but I think some users intend to have their amps coexist with the Axe-FX II, just to find their (valuable) amps collecting dust - LOL!

- Along with my first reel-to-reel Tascam/Teac 40-4 Multi-Track Tape Recorder (yup...flying the "old-guy flag" with that admission!) no other piece of gear has gotten me/forced me to want to learn more about getting the most from the gear itself (in the case of my Teac/Tascam 40-4 MTD, I learned about engineering, mixing, mixer-routing, mics & mic-techniques, effects, etc.) and now with the Axe-FX II, I find myself learning about tube-amp design, (from a component level practically) about the strengths and weaknesses of various amps, the importance of an amp's power-section, the importance of the cab design and speaker-usage, (a recent and huge eye-opener!) as well as the newer IR-technology, and it's role in being a "virtual cab")etc, etc, etc! Sure I might've read about some of these things, but owning said gear and wanting to really know how to use it, FORCES me (and frankly, I'm the type who needs such a "kick-in-the-arse" once in a while - LOL!) and probably others to really learn/know my/their stuff!

- I think in the bigger picture, Cliff/Fractal are still a small drop in a bigger (but shrinking - LOL!) bucket, but make no mistake, they are DEFINITELY turning some heads and getting the attention of of some major-players and manufacturers!

- The Axe-FX II is NOT perfect, but NOTHING EVER IS, and it sure keeps getting better all the time, thanks to Cliff's/Fractal's willingness to listen to their customer-base, and their continuing and tireless deveopment/support/firmware-updates!

These are my 2-pennies...

Bill

My vote is for #2. #1 would be Cliff. Without him, there would be no #2. Several reasons.

1. He invented it.
2. He has the courage to continue to improve it.
3. He has the sense to surround himself with a great team.
4. He likes Prog.
5. Don't really need a #5. First four are already good enough. \m/ (*_*) \m/

Best amp modeling - yes
Best control and routing of effects - yes
Best effects in some areas - yes
Best overall aio guitar unit available atm - yes

Fractal has a great headstart with the Axefx and could possibly be the leader for years to come in this arena. An amazing feat for one person to initiate. :)

Back
Top Bottom