Is the AXE FX 2 the right choice for me?

Qualmsteen

Hi there,

I don't have the opportunity to play an AXE FX because I don't know anyone who has one.
I like to play any kind of music, from blues to rock to metal....
Recently I play in a cover band. We play any kind of music. Now I was searching for a versatile combo or amp. I like combos and amps like Fender, Hook, Elmwood, Mesa .... But every amp has its strengths and weaknesses. I really like the Fender Twin Reverb. The best clean sound I've ever heard and with a good overdrive pedal an awesome crunch sound. But for more distorted sounds I like more the Elmwood amps. It's all a compromise.

Because of these reasons, I want to buy the Axe FX 2. I never played one and don't know how it feels. If I don't like it. I could sell it again.
The main reasons why I want the AXE FX are the videos of Pete Thorn. I like his pretty simple rig.

But I have a question before I buy one. I love playing guitar, but I'm not talented in creating good sounds. I have pretty good ears and know exactly what I like, but I don' think that I'm good in programming these sounds I hear. I don't really like the whole tweaking thing ;)
Is it very complicated to program a good sound in the AXE FX 2??? Or is it good in plug an play?
If it is too difficult for me, can I buy some good patches from anyone who know what he is doing?

I have a G-System and it is too complicate for me to program good effects. Is this similar to the AXE FX? Then it would be frustrating for me.

Thanks!!!

Compared to simple amps is the AxeFx very complicated.

If you cant program a simple multieffect unit then forget to fully program the AxeFx.

But yes, its still easy to use the AxeFx and to do minor tweaks - there are amp like knobs and simple effects settings.

Only if you want can you go deeper and deeper into advanced parameters.

Unfortunatly will most patches from other users (and the stock presets) not work for everyone, each guitar, style, used speaker, room ... out of the box.

But I am sure you'll find at least some patches (stock or from other users) that work as a starting point.

IMHO do you need to learn how to tweak the AxeFx to fully use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never heard of Fractal Audio Systems or the Axe-fx until I saw videos from Pete Thorn & Dave Weiner this past July. After coming to this forum and seeing the wealth and sharing of information, I took the blind leap and purchased the AFII. I have since sold every pedal and my 65amps Empire head and cab will be on eaby shortly.

There is a large learning curve. Yet it is really no different than the learning curve of any new amp or pedal. The problem is there are sooo many amps, pedals, cab, mics.... to choose from in one box that it can feel overwhelming. So I am nipping at it one amp and pedal at a time. I see it as a challenge and not an obstacle.

I use the AFII presets and those posted by others as a starting point and then tweak to taste. The more ambitious post recordings and a copy of the patch they created on to this forum and ask for help. And they get help.

So, you will need to "Read the F'n Manual". Read Yek's Wiki. And ask a "dumb" question every now and then because you didn't really read the first two.

Ultimately you have to find that sound your looking for by learning how to use the tools provided. I think they are in the AFII. You will have to decide on your own.

Either you will find that the Axe-Fx is just the ticket or you will get frustrated with its programming because let's face it, the user interface is only average at best. The manual is a treasutrove of jargon and thus not very accessible to someone who is not well versed in the technical side. So yeah, steep learning curve.

You will also have to take into account what you're using for amplification. It can sound great thru a traditional guitar amp and cab but this severely limits the variety you can get out of it. I felt that too many amp models seemed too similar with this setup. Thru a FRFR setup you get more variety because you can use the poweramp and cab modeling too.

For your needs, you might want to try the Mesa Lonestar. It has a really great Fender style clean sound and IMO the overdrive sounded pretty great too.

the axe II is a very powerful processor and there are a lot of parameters to adjust. this can seem overwhelming at first, but the fact is that most of those advanced parameters are completely optional. many very satisfying tones can be found just using a simple configuration and adjusting the parameters you already know, like those on the front of an amp or a delay pedal, etc.

also, you can make a lot of progress if you just set some goals for yourself to learn the parameters that interest you. e.g. carve out 30 minutes a week and focus that time on tweaking a single set of parameters. before you know it the weeks, months, years have rolled by and you're totally proficient on all the parameters that are important to you. and that knowledge will translate to future generations of the axe as well as "real world" amps and effects.

axe II satisfaction may be more attainable that you think. i say give it a try. like you said, if it doesn't work out you can sell it. in your neck of the woods you'd probably break even or make a small profit if you did. good luck!

get it, dont be too afraid, dont be lazy, and yes what you play it through/and where, will be vvvvvvvvvvvery important.

Since you play in a cover band (me too), the toolset is in the Axe-II to get any kind of tone you will likely ever need.
If you find G-System frustrating, you will not find the Axe-II that less of a challenge.
That said, it is much easier to dial in great tone with an amp, a cab and some basic delay/reverb effects on the II than it was with the GEN1 models [IMHO].

As previously mentioned, you do need to factor in the amplification part.. FRFR will give you that "mic'ed cab" sound (when using cab modeling) but many use amps and external cab or the 4CM. The latter choices open up a whole host of combinations, and IMHO you can find yourself chasing your tail until you find the combination that works for you. That could be very time-consuming, frustrating and expensive and lead to believe that the Axe-II is the problem, when it's really not.. That's why I went FRFR... I get the sounds I need (variety cover band) from the magix box, sending main outs to FOH and secondary outs to FRFR stage monitors.

Works for me, but is not everyone's idea of the perfect setup.
Best advice I can offer it to find someone living near you that has one and try it out!!
Being in Germany, perhaps G66 isn't that far away ??

Last edited:
I'm an AXE FX II newbie. Took a chance and got it about a month ago. It took me a couple of hours of playing around and I was hooked. Alot of the presets sound great right out of the box. And it feels good too, similar to a good tube amp, IMO. I've sold my pedal board (that's how I paid for the AF2!) and am probably going to sell most of my amps soon too.

I think it's probably easier for me to get good sounds with the AF2 than tweaking the real amps and effects I had before. It's not really that hard to get good basic sounds using AXE EDIT. Just start with one amp and work in small increments. Baby steps will pay big dividends.

I say go for it!

Get it.

There are plenty of stock presets which are plug and play that will get you close to any genre you want.

I struggled with a G system for 3 years. I was never happy with the tone I got from the G. Or more like, I was never happy with what the g system did To my tone.

The axe is a million times easier to use and dial amazing tones.
I am in a Cover band and use the axe live and I can pretty much recreate the tone of any song we play. I think this unit is by far the best route for any guitarist, cover band or not.

Thank you so much for your feedback. It really helps me a lot!!!

I think most of you are right. I give it a chance and I'm now on the waiting list.
I'm not sure if I can learn how to create good sounds, but I will try it. As someone of you said, I will spend 30 minutes a week tweaking easy sounds. I don't think that 30 Minutes get me frustrating. And from there I will build my knowledge up. I have to give the learning process enough time.
And if I see after a few month it doesn't work for me, I can sell it again. But I don't think so. I'm very positive that it will work for me.

Now I have to wait 4 month. I will use this time to study the manual.
I'm looking forward to hear these great sounds. Based on the clips I've heard, this is the first modeler I could not distinguish from a tube amp. A year ago, I never thought that I ever buy a modeler. Well, opinions are changing and technology is improving.

Thank you so much for help!!!

Back
Top Bottom